1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 NBA Free Agents for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets1995, May 31, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wayne Ellington, Jeremi Grant, and Seth Curry are good role players. I hope the Rockets can get a true backup PG too.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Denver would take that in a second. Anderson fits them well and Faried rots on their bench.

He cant shoot and plays as bad of defense as anderson, hard pass. His only fit would be as a 3rd string center ala Montrezl or Tarick Black.

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ellington wants to remain with Heat, and Spoelstra loves him too. Around Miami they are already talking $10M a year and going over LT to keep him.

Heat franchise leading 3 point shooter but not a great defender. Not sure he would be an upgrade over Ariza.

4. saleem

How about Mario Hezonja? He is athletic, 6'8". He has improved as a scorer and makes an effort on defense, even though the latter part needs quite a bit of improvement.
    A young SF who happens to be a UFA isn't a bad idea, in my opinion.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Unlikely Hezonja remains with Orlando so he could be an option. His arrogance may not be greatest locker room fit.

Another similar but cheaper version of Hezonja is Svi Mykhailiuk. Should be available in the 2nd, also an athletic versatile 6'8 player who can play several positions.

Played wing in college but he was considered another Manu Ginobli in his youth due to his natural playmaking ability, BB IQ, work ethic and tough D.

skroodup25 likes this.
  6. Garner

Garner Member

Totally disagree.

He is a star now to anyone who has watched him, which people don’t because Magic.

In all seriousness though, in a few years is too late. Grab him now or you miss the boat.

D-rock likes this.
  7. saleem

Yes, there are similarities in their games. Svi seems to be a good teammate. Why would he drop all the way to 46? Does he have a history of injuries?

D-rock likes this.
  8. saleem

What can Morey offer for him?

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I find it hard to believe the Heat will be a LT team that is not a contender. I don't buy this. They value him, but they have a lot of wings and are tight on salary. I could very easily see Ellington walking.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kansas played him at SG so his game regressed. Was a natural point before going to college. Played 4 years but still young, only 21. 3 point shot improved in his last season.

saleem likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I dont think they will be LT either but I believe they are serious about retaining their franchise best 3 point shooter. A favorite in Miami and they were able to manipulate a tight cap last season to get his $6M salary under the cap by playing around with incentives for other fringe players like Olynyk.

12. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

I like the idea of more shooters to space around Harden and CP3 (obviously everything changes if LeBron is here -- and we'd all expect D'Antoni to rightfully adjust accordingly, etc...).

But, if everything remained relatively intact, just a couple of names of unrestricted FA's that may fit the bill on spot-up 3 point shooting:

Jimmer Fredette -- still not sure why somebody hasn't picked him out of China. I think he typically hits over 35% from long-range and would seem to be an extremely cheap (yet slightly shorter) shooter in the mold of a Redick (who's great, but not when he's making over $20 million this year...).

Seth Curry -- he was getting decent minutes on a horrible Mav's team this year, but was over 40% from 3-point range (...and over 40% last year with the Kings, as well -- smaller sample size though....). He made approximately $3 million with Dallas last year and is an UFA.

Ersan Ilyasova -- stretch-four who hits over 35% long range (although he hasn't really been asked to shoot nearly as many as he would here, so probably not a great sample size to extrapolate from...). Is an unrestricted free agent and made around $500,000 this year with Philly.

Not exactly the two-way players that can be counted on for big minutes, but may be options for niche-shooting purposes that also wouldn't kill us on cap issues long-term.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He looks to be a star, I give you that, on a good way. He has to make some Allstar games for me to consider him, tbh.

Up his production to above 20 ppg. Oladipo did it.

#73 daywalker02, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Aaron Gordon is the most Underrated Star if the Rockets can add him, P.J Tucker off the bench with his energy. Gordon is 22 years old, Capela is 23, Paul George is 27, Harden is 28. We now have youth on the Rockets side. Fred VanVleet backup PG is 24

D-rock likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like the thinking.

16. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I have a feeling Anthony Tolliver will be coming here. 43% from 3, solid defender and from what I read, a good locker room guy.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Aaron Gordon surprised me this year in shooting those corner 3 pointers. Which the Rockets offense uses. P.J Tucker I like but he is a very inconsistent in only one thing which is scoring and creating his own shot. Aaron Gordon sliding at Center with Draymond I think he can hold his own Gordon is one the most Muscular Forwards in the league and he is only 22. If Ryan is traded than we need Aaron Gordon. Than P.J. Tucker energy off the bench rebounding, being the 7th man in the rotation.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  18. saleem

I wouldn't mind him, despite being 33 years old. He wouldn't command more than the MLE.

19. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

If we can’t get a third star, I would love to rob the Magic of DJ Agustin, Johnathan Simmons, and Nikola Vucevic. You get a decent point guard, a defensive wing with an adequate three point shot, and a big that can shoot and create his own shot.

rockets1995 likes this.
  20. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Yes and we should ask about any acquisition , " can they be a part of our switching defense at crunch time during the playoffs?"

Red Chocolate and Williamson like this.