1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Freeze Upper Bowl Season Ticket Sales

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonnyMost, May 30, 2018.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

So I emailed my season ticket rep this morning. I've been saving up a while and now that I can afford it I wanted to add 2 more seats to my account and get a block of 4 together for next year. Pretty reasonable and routine request.

This is what I received back...

What. The. ****.

I've been a season ticket holder for 7+ years now and I cannot recall a single season where I wasn't given the opportunity, let alone the recipient of targeted advertising or sales calls, to add seats to my account. Suddenly seating (in the only sections affordable to most fans) is frozen indefinitely, with a waitlist behind a non-refundable paywall? For seats that are actually vacant, but may never be made available?

This is an overtly fan-hostile move by the Rockets. I'm disappointed in the organization and ownership, whom I can only assume had something to do with this new policy.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We're getting Lebron.. that's why. Prepare for a considerable price increase.

3. Nook

Nook Member

They are preparing for that MASSIVE luxury tax BRUH. Prepare for costs to go way up. (just a guess)

4. Houston288South

Maybe this is part of the solution to start filling the lower bowl somehow?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah my friend who had season tickets this past year, went to TC yesterday to renew and let me know there's a waiting list now. I would assume if you were a prior/current season ticket holder you would get first priority though so that doesn't make sense to me either @DonnyMost

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I asked if the waiting list was tenure based. I received no response. The fact that it is "non refundable" is disgusting. Holding $500 per seat hostage while you wait and decide if you want to give me the honor of buying your seats? Eat a fat one, Tilman.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

if i hear anything ill be sure to post here or msg you

DonnyMost likes this.
  8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

No I hear you... but due to Lebron or another big fish coming and the huge lux tax bill.... they have to take drastic measures. Be happy.

ITS HAPPENING.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I believe @REEKO_HTOWN was on a waiting list back in Jan and got in before the Playoffs started, I know @Miguel tried also before Playoffs started and was told there was a waiting list also

My guess they freezed it because people were just signing up just to get Playoff tickets for WCF and Finals to resell

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Every year the Rockets would run a promotion like that though. "Secure your playoff seats now by signing up for season tickets next year!"

Season tickets are sold at about 25%~ off face value. Since the team changed ownership and started winning 60 games, they cut off that supplyline off and want to charge everyone face. This smells like a moneygrab honestly.

If you want to lock the door to new fans, sure. Dumb move but whatever. Doing it to the upper bowl only is even dumber. But shutting the door on your tenured season ticket holders? That's messed up.

This is Dan Snyder-esqe.

rhinomft, Dave2000 and KDavis like this.
  11. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

I got out last year due to a new baby and the fact that I couldn't even sell my tickets in the playoffs,

Flashseats are convenient but a rip off for season ticket holders.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

CF.net, always trying to read too much into what the team is doing with ticket sales.

Sounds very common to me. We just have never faced an actual sell-out to new and renewing STHs before.

Isn't the STH upgrade period over. As I recall, you need to decide to upgrade/add seats well before the playoffs, because they like to use the playoffs to attract new STHs. by letting them buy Playoffs now if they buy Season Tickets for next year At this point, your added seats are probably now in the pool of bandwagoners. They are probably legitimately forecasting a sellout, if not already facing it.

Chill out. Non-refundable deposits has been going on forever, since 1998 for sure. Probably every sports team, too.

joeson332 and glenadyll like this.
  13. heypartner

You know, Tilman hasn't even sold season tickets yet, really. This is his first year.

Did you actually renew yet? You should have renewed back in March. What was the price?

imo: "Face" is the Season Ticket Holder rate. That's the way we've always discussed it before. In any regards, Face

14. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Lebron Factor Bro.. Happen to Miami Heat.. right before Lebron announced.. I look on their site 1,500 starting for season tickets.. As soon as he said South Beach.. season tickets sky rocketed to like 12k.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It isn't. Certainly not to the Rockets organization, or Houston sports teams in general.

The "upgrade" period is over. The "add seats" period is never over. It's ongoing, and always has been.

No. This is not a deposit on tickets, this is a deposit on a non-guaranteed waiting list. Huge difference. Shame on them. And shame on you for excusing it.

OK. Nothing to do with my post or my point.

I've already renewed. I didn't say anything about the price. It went up nominally as always.

What...? So what? This has nothing to do with my point.

16. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

You looking at the Luxury Tax next season you got to make sure you cash in on that next elite player.. you going to need it..

17. heypartner

Right. That's what I thought. I was a STH for 17 years. You are now just in a pool of newbies. And you are pretty late.

You are very late to think you could add two seats *after* this historic season ended, without hitting a waiting list.

I have little sympathy to your whine, here.

Then why did you say what you said about Tilman, you make it sound like he jacked up the price to you, which he clearly didn't.

"Season tickets are sold at about 25%~ off face value. Since the team changed ownership and started winning 60 games, they cut off that supplyline off and want to charge everyone face."

I don't want to get into a semantic discussion. I'm just saying, I've always referred to Face as what I paid for STH. About 7 years ago (or so), Les went to changing rates for single game sales...Silver, Gold, Platinum games. We referred to those increased prices "Above Face" just as short for "Above STH rate"

But if you want to call STH rate, a discount below Face, then fine. I'm just trying to follow your rant here.

robgue likes this.
  18. heypartner

This has been going on for years. Deposits for seats later is not uncommon. And I'm sure everyone on GSW's waiting list paid a deposit, too.

Chill out

That's what I faced the moment they traded for Charles Barkley. I put down a deposit, but didn't actually get season tickets until a year later.

robgue likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If I'm too late to actually get 4 seats together, fair enough. But I'm not. I'm too late to get past Fertitta's non-refundable "maybe you'll get a chance at seats" paywall waitlist.

No, that's not what I said. My statement is very self-explanatory and easily understood. Tilman is limiting access to discounted/season tickets, which defacto means that if you want to buy tickets you're going to pay the non-STH rate. That is true in every sense. I said nothing about the cost of season tickets themselves going up (which they always nominally do).

Actually it absolutely sounds like you want to get into a semantic discussion, since you're the one who brought up this irrelevant distinction. o_O

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Smart business. If they get Lebron then they can pretty much double ticket prices and you can kiss affordability good bye.

The casual fans will come out in droves.