1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey’s Miscalculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SageHare6, May 28, 2018.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Conference finals, a few bounces and bad calls away from winning against what most consider an all time team. The strategy works.

bro2044 likes this.
  2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The Rockets just didn't have enough players, or play enough players, that's the simple truth.

3. j@amc

j@amc Member

I don't see a miscalculation here.

1. After turning over our roster (yet again) we played an experienced championship team to a standstill. If a break or two had gone our way, we'd be in the Finals.

2. When you consider the system, you have to ask: do you get open looks? If your system gets open shots for pros, the offensive side of the ball is working.

3. While it might be easier to pin this loss on the refs (and I'm completely baffled by how they called game 7), you can't look past the players. They didn't get it done and that hurts when it looked like they might overachieve and do it. ​

Overall, I'm proud how this group of guys fit together and overcame a ton of doubters. Hopefully, Morey can make a few tweaks to balance and improve the roster. Our core is in place, and I do think we'll be pleasantly surprised by how many players want to join us.

As a fan, I do hope we can retain Capela. Losing him would be a slight step backwards, and I'd rather not go backwards at this point. That said, I'm confident if the numbers are wrong (meaning, someone may want to overpay for Capela) that he can be replaced.

Please give Bzdelik a raise! He worked wonders.

Deuce likes this.
  4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

These hot takes about how the system didn't work are ridiculous. You think GS's system works without Green and Iggy? That's the equivalent of what the Rockets had to play with in the last two games.

BigShasta likes this.
  5. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

As much as I hate the contract, I remind myself that Anderson did help the rockets have a 55/56 win season that got cp3 interested enough in leaving the clippers for the rockets. So while I really wish it were better, I’m not sure we get cp3 without him and Gordon the prior season, and they basically came together.

6. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Morey assembled a near-perfect lineup to beat the defending champs. We almost did it even with the key piece IMO out with injury.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Blah blah blah ----

Hamstrings, Ken Mauer, and Scott Foster. That's all there is to it.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Losing Luc before the playoffs was huge for our rotation. I think if he was 100% we win as well. Since we were right there with Paul out.

9. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

We took the warriors to game 7 and would have won if not for piece of **** crooked refs. I think his calculations were spot on.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Morey miscalculated that we would somehow end being contenders after losing Dwight Howard in 2016. I don't think Anderson would have gotten the contract if he knew we would be so good so fast.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

"Neighbor, how long has it been since you had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Foster-Fixed Chili? Well, that's too long!"

12. jboslett

jboslett Member

Lots of good posts here. Morey got us very close to dethroning the Warriors and their 4 all stars. Pretty impressive. Morey's vision was spot on, but the injuries got us.

Big question is can Anderson become a useful player again? In a switch everything system, most likely not. Would be interesting to see that original thread when Anderson got signed to get the initial reactions. This is about the only aspect of Morey's vision that was wrong.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the team's roster moves went above and beyond any reasonable expectation that one can have under the circumstances this season. CP, Tucker, Luc, Green... not everything worked out but that's every team, including GS

14. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Hi DD. I respect your opinion but I have to kindly disagree unless your reference to not enough “healthy” players means players so fatigued that we should actually have expected them to miss so many shots....

The biggest takeaway from these playoffs (emphasis playoffs and not merely game 7) was the three ball simply was not falling. Every series there were more draughts than not. Every series more cold games than hot from our primary shooters.

Thus when game seven came around, the anomaly would have been for us TO have made it 110 to 120 ppg game from our reliance on the 3 than not.

Call me a heretic, but just like we adapted from an offense biased year to a more two way balanced team this year, I just think there is something to be said of balance and adaptation. Especially knowing how grueling a long season plus the playoffs can be.

Hypothetically, if u humor me DD, what if we had a team wide license to shoot the mid range two ball in these instances just as Chris Paul had license to do? I mean few people can argue that Chris Paul’s two game was as much a weapon for him and us all playoff long especially with average ppgs in the 90s.

So then what if EGO had more license to get a non-drive 2? Or more importantly, Ariza?

Dunno. But balance and adaptivity in my mind and to a precious poster’s post, having a plan B helps. Admitttdly I’m also old school (and old too!). If we can adopt defense, why can’t we adopt more flexibility in offense too?

TheSage

15. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

No. But what makes him truly unique RR beyond people’s fascination with his scoring is his mobility imho. For a tall guy, his lateral and front back mobility makes him less of a liability on defense. Plus he is long with a lengthy wingspan

Durant is the epitome of versatility and why we need switching in today’s league. Precisely because it is hard to match him. How many 6’11 7 footers do u know who can have the quickness to match Durant AND smaller players who may get switched onto you?

Answer- one - Joe Cheese.

Just kidding!

16. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Re: your mention of talent gap. Curiously few posters mentioning Ariza.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sums it up.

EXCELLENT POST, RR !

Rocket River likes this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you even understand how the NBA works?

We just completed YEAR 1 of the Harden/ Paul team. That's year 1. You get your pieces and you upgrade them - but when you do, it means you are in a tough spot to get other significant pieces because you don't have assets to trade anymore.

Joe Johnson was a mid year minimum contract signing because another team cut him. Who else was available? He knew the system, and there was a small chance he might reprise some old form under MDA. Didn't happen. Don't cry.

We just went to 7 with the Warriors, probably win if Chris Paul plays either game 6 or 7 and has that calming presence, and ability to get his shot, in the middle of a meltdown. Do you honestly think Morey is going to stand pat with what he has??? He took step 1, and came within a whisker (*and some AWFUL refereeing decisions - Harden fouled four times on a three point attempt, one of which went in, and all he has to show for it is 2 free throws? Should have been 3 points and 8 EXTRA free throws, or anywhere from 3-11 points on the scoreboard - which could have been the difference...)

Step 2 is this off-season. Looking forward to the ride!!

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Dude: I really like you as a poster here but frankly all of this whining and b****ing about perceived "bias" of the refs and the league being against the Rockets is coming off as the stuff losing teams (and their fans) do when they don't want to face reality. In no known universe are the Rockets so formidable or such a dire threat to the NBA that an active league-driven campaign of sabotage and suppression has been impemented to take them out. I watched this series intently and I saw the missed calls go both ways constantly. that's to be expected given the speed and style of play used by both teams. I also did not see one official missing 3 point shots when the Rockets went 0-27. In the end, it was their stubbon refusal to adapt their offensive philosophy when the shots stopped dropping. That's what seperated them and GS in this series. I can definitely understand the level of frustration here especially since, for the first time in years, the Warriors looked both tired and beatable. But GS is going after their 3rd title in three years and having been battle-tested at the highest level, they have a far better understanding of what it takes - how deep down you have to dig - in order to get the job done. That's something Harden and the Rox are only just now coming to understand.

20. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Cheap PG that shoots 3's

12. Tyreke Evans
    Unrestricted / Shooting Guard / 6-6 / Team: Memphis Grizzlies
    19.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 5.2 apg

Only three players averaged at least 19.0 ppg, 5.0 rpb and 5.0 apg last season while shooting over 39 percent from three: Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry and… Tyreke Evans. Will garner major interest on the secondary market.
    Agent: Darren ‘Mats’ Matsubara
    2017/18 Earnings: $3,290,000
    Career Earnings: $63,831,924