1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

off-season priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, May 28, 2018.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

1) shed Anderson's contract (and Nene's too), freeing up $23 mil
    2) lock up Capela
    3) resign Chris Paul
    4) bring back Ariza on a hometown discount
    5) fill in gaps with great role-players like this past off-season

or

2) go after Lebron
    3) resign Chris Paul
    4) fill in gaps with great role-payers like this past off-season

or

2) go after Cousins
    3) resign Chris Paul
    4) fill in gaps with great role-payers like this past off-season

Capologists, i know it's early and you are still in pain like me, but can any of these scenarios actually happen?

Sidarma, bilaal14 and Bengchu like this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Dumping Ryan Anderson to some sucker will be one of the biggest off season moves in Rockets history

3. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Contacting Cleveland Browns

dkim1984 likes this.
  4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't see a team in this league crazy enough to take Anderson's contract without the Rockets having to take back some bad deals from that team as well.

amaru and saleem like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Do something for Adam silver.

ReignSupreme likes this.
  6. vonbock

vonbock Member

Why is resigning Chris Paul so important? I own a business and if I have employee that I am paying high salary but only works half the year and the other half is sitting on the bench, I would think twice.

We should fire whoever decided to sign Ryan Anderson to this long term contract. The TExans did it with Osweiler.

PeterKingX and lw17 like this.
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

locking up Capela for the max would be a HUGE mistake that will cost this franchise for years to come, not that he won't be a great a player but he won't be an effective player against our #1 opponent in the west, the Warriors.

Kinda like Ryno. You can use him against the lesser teams but against a team like the Warriors, he's useless. Capela is the same. Against the Warriors, Draymond basically neutralizes him.

Capela is a great player and maybe even a future all-star but signing him will not help us against the Warriors. We need to look for a cheap center option like what the Warriors have or sign another small ball center like Tuck.

PeterKingX, saleem and cdxiong like this.
  8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No one is stupid enough to take on Ryan Anderson contract and giving us a player that makes a difference.

Thats how atrocious Ryan Anderson as a player and his contract is.

You know the Knicks that have been making bad trades for two decades. This was their their reaction to Ryan Anderson...

[​IMG]

We just have to hope and pray that some team/GM hates the Warriors so much that they do us a favor just to take the Warriors down.

RyanB, saleem and roslolian like this.
  9. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

None...
    Same team = same results

10. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Because Chris Paul is such a rare, two-way talent that you can't let him go. Talent in this league is very uneven. You only let go of people you can easily replace, a la Chandler Parsons.

da_juice, jboslett and RyanB like this.
  11. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

This is how I want it going down:

-Ryno/1st round pick (maybe even a 2nd in addition) go to Philly. We get JJ (SNT to our original 3-yr/$24mm offer) and Robert Covington (new 5 year contract coming up).
    -Convince LBJ to a SNT for the max OR PG13 SNT with a cheaper contract, sending EGo and Cap (obv he would need to come to new contract terms with CLE first) plus NG filler.
    -Resign CP3 and get DJ at the hometown discount.

Feel free to correct me if I've forgotten some cap rule that wouldn't allow this to happen.

If this is all good, our new starters looks like:

PG - CP3
    SG - Beard
    SF - LBJ
    PF - Thicc
    C - DJ

Bench includes: Covington, JJ, LMaM, Ariza, Qi, Green, Black, and Nene.

5 quality starters and 5 quality bench players. We don't lose three point shooting or defense on either end of the bench.

lw17 likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wait so we aren’t going after Lebron? That doesn’t sound like something Morey would do

13. Red Nation RGV

Win or lose main offseason priority imo besides keeping core is trying to add a 3 or 4 that can handle the rock. Golden State has Draymond and Durant they can feed and create from inside the circle we don't currently have that luxury and as series went on it wore on us. I would love PG13 as top choice but even would like Favors from Utah who I think would flourish in this system with James and CP3

14. Ratman

Ratman Member

When he played, you had debatably the “best team of all time” down 3-2 and had a home game still to play. Thats why. Whats the other option?

15. Ratman

Ratman Member

Need a big man, tucker is getting older and im not sure he cant play the 4/5 35 minutes a game in a long series

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

Winning a championship is an easier task than dumping Anderson

RyanB and lw17 like this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont think this will happen, but i agree with it.

i'd look to S&T capela for a borderline allstar like he is. tobias harris? chris middleton? those kind of versatile forwards who can create offense for themselves and others and D up multiple positions. then sign O'Quinn or dedmon to the MLE.

again, no chance of happening but look at the warriors... they didn't play a center in 7 games. its nice to have one for certain matchups (hence MLE for KOQ or dedmon) but ryno's $20M shouldn't go to capela... it should go to a forward capable of creating offense for themselves and others, and guarding multiple positions.

RyanB and saleem like this.
  18. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

PJ only played 28 and 32 mins in the regular season and playoffs, respectively. Plus his role is 3nD only so his energy is conserved. But, if that was really a big concern, sub Covington in for PJ as a starter. Cov is 3 inches taller, can shoot the three, and is a long-armed defender. Plus, in that lineup, Covington can hide his deficiencies.

roslolian likes this.
  19. vonbock

vonbock Member

I agree but the talent is not a 26 yo chris paul and he is usually injured. Why pay for half a season?

20. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Is your alternative bringing in LBJ? Because if so, then yea I could get on board with your thinking, but anything below that will be a huge drop off. I'm a big fan of PG13, but only if we still have CP3.