1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Making a Murderer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by J Sizzle, Dec 15, 2015.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This kid can finally go to Wrestlemania... ;)

2. gah

gah Member

Every time I saw a bump in this thread I got disappointed at no real updates. This is the one I always hoped for.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regardless of what you think of Avery, Dassey's role in this always seemed the most tragic. The kid clearly did not understand the mess he was in and the actions by his appointed defense were reprehensible.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think he just wanted to record it, though that means his rich-ass parents at least sprung for the Pay Per View.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Just now saw this ... I feel a sense of relief after watching this. While, I don't know what to think of Avery because the police screwed up the investigation so bad, Dassey was a total innocent, incompetent bystander that did not belong in jail ever. That confession seem made me sick knowing that it put him in jail without the jury every seeing the full tape of how they got the confession.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I hope he sues for damages.

And I believe someone started a petition online to send him to wrestlemania.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He might wind up back in jail if he does.

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Look like Brendan is actually getting released today. I am still disgusted by how his lawyers represented him.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

He served his term? Or what happened?

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wtf?

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, the state got him to confess, ruled that he was illegally coerced into a confession and has to be released, but then rules that they block his release? Makes sense to me....

The state of Wisconsin just wins when it comes to the courts.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wonder if the concern is that Avery's initial arrest was facilitated by Dassey's initial statements to the police, so prosecutors and Wisconsin AG's are still fighting Dassey's release: with the governor's blessing, to retain Dassey's conviction. Maybe the federal appeals court wants to determine the constitutionality of having to completely dismiss a teenager's confession if he decides to give it without counsel, or the manner and extent to which defense counsel can coerce a plea if they honestly think it's in a minor client's best interests.

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  17. omgTHEpotential

This thing is crazy:

In August 2016, United States magistrate judge William E. Duffin ruled that Dassey's confession had been coerced, and was therefore involuntary and unconstitutional, and ordered him released. In November, the Wisconsin Justice Department appealed Duffin's decision to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, which blocked Dassey's release pending a hearing.

In June 2017, a three-judge panel of the Seventh Circuit upheld the magistrate's decision to overturn Dassey's conviction. Judge Ilana Rovner, joined by Judge Ann Claire Williams, affirmed, over the dissent of Judge David Hamilton. On July 5th, the Wisconsin Department of Justice submitted a petition requesting a rehearing en banc—by the entire 7th Circuit panel. On August 4th 2017, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals granted the State of Wisconsin’s request for an en banc hearing with oral arguments set for September 26th in Chicago before a full panel of sitting judges.

On December 8, 2017, the full en banc Seventh Circuit upheld Dassey's conviction by a vote of 4-3, with the majority finding that the police had properly obtained Dassey's confession. Judge Hamilton's majority opinion was joined by Judges Frank H. Easterbrook, Michael Stephen Kanne, and Diane S. Sykes. Chief Judge Diane Wood and Judge Rovner both wrote dissents, joined by Judge Williams.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow. I hope they are making a sequel about all of this madness.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

They voted 4-3 in favor of it not being coerced. That means 3 educated judges thought it was actually coerced. I think they should either find it completely legal unanimously, or they should let the kid walk.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. Toycen428_2pt0

I think I summed up Steven Averys side in this whole ordeal... So Steve Avery with the IQ of like 75 is so smart wheb it comes to murder that he was able to kill Halbach without her dna being, cleaned his garage floor and all the cracks in the floors of his dna, cleaned every fiber of cloth in his house and strands of hair of halbachs, but yet was so stupid to leave her car key AND her car on his property.... those 2 extremes of being super smart and super stupid don't add up

macho GRANDE and peleincubus like this.