1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

THIS JUST IN! TRADE COMING! (Moochie For Weatherspoon)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, Dec 30, 2003.

1. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

A wake up call for the rest of the team. I guess Rocket will watch the effect of that for a few games. If the team does not wake up, a major move will be coming. None of the starters can be safe if not playing well. :)

2. aries323

aries323 Member

IMO, we have been waiting for someone that would take on Moochies ridiculuous contract for a while now and finally the Knicks were desperate enough to take it.

This was a trade waiting to happen. I'm glad we did. Wilks can do a better job than Moochie IMO.

3. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Weird -- NY was about to buy Spoon out and we trade for him? I assumed we would then just buy Spoon out and be glad about the roster flexibility, but JVG seems excited to have him. We got him to address a rebounding problem, right? That's what he said when he signed Ford! I'm beginning to wonder if JVG really knows what he's doing....

4. daaum

daaum Member

contracts

i wanted to ask about contract?
    how much was moochie contract and john?
    how much is clearance?
    who benfits according to moeny wise?not performance...

5. Raven

Raven Member

Probably one of the most unimportant trades in Rockets history.

Basically both teams traded their "bad contract" guys.

Why was this done? Well maybe to shake up the locker room. Maybe to shift fan and media attention away from other problems with the team. Maybe because both teams think the guy they got is slightly more tradable than the guy they gave up.

MN contract was an anchor pulling the Rockets down, but the Weatherspoon contract is just as much an anchor, so this trade really doesn't help that nagging problem.

Here is my own opinion.

The Rockets swapped bad contracts, because they feel that JVG can get better production out of Weatherspoon, maybe making him a slightly easier contract to dump off before the deadline.

Oh one more thing. This trade basically was Glen Rice for Weatherspoon, plus a mid level exception.

Yeah, color me impressed.

Raven

6. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

That was a statement to give comfort to the players. The real reason for the deal was to get rid of our two bad contracts.

It could be true that JVG like Spoon's effort; but the main thing was we want to buy Moochie's contract as well. Now with the deal, both New York and Houston could try out one or two bad contract(s) of the other team and see if they could make the best use of it before buying out. At worst, we shall buy out Spoon's contract, which we are willing to spend the same money on our bad contract anyway.

:)

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Couple of New York Post articles this morning ... Moochie Set To Pick Up Pace

The start of this quote from Frank Williams struck me as funny.

"I know he’s a big-time ball dribbler," Williams said.

I thought this Peter Vecsey article today was semi-interesting. It says Isiah Thomas tried to move Moochie for Darius Miles, but Cleveland wanted different players. Yeah, thanks for the info Peter... and the Rockets tried to move Moochie for Shaq, but the Lakers wanted different players.

8. Cesar^Geronimo

Moochie can't wait to face us.

I hope he has a big game but we beat the Knicks anyway.

9. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

From NY Newsday:

"Should Thomas decide to get rid of Ward, he would be giving up the Knicks' best three-point shooter (42.5 percent) and a player who has been a defensive stalwart in the fourth quarter. Norris is a better penetrator, but he's a career 28.6 percent three-point shooter who isn't noted for his defense."

From the NYT:

"Ward has playoff experience and a dream contract for teams seeking salary cap or luxury tax relief. He is in the final year of a six-year, $28 million contract, so his $6 million salary will come off the cap at the end of the season. But for a team intent on saving, his deal includes a buyout, in effect until Jan. 10, in which he can be released and owed just the approximately $2 million already earned."

Ward looks like a possibility for us (rumor has it Thomas may waive him) and would be an upgrade over Mooch.

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hmmmm. Overvaluing Moochie? Who knew Isiah was a poster here? :D

Oh, and BTW, Peter VecseySux. :)

11. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Van Gundy’s offense "didn’t take enough chances" in running the fastbreak. "It was totally different," said Norris

Looks like it wasn't going to take anymore chances on Moochie either....
    :eek:

I'd have to agree though. They really are a one shot half court team. The problem is, as much as that may help in the playoffs a lot, it probably won;t get them there....

12. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

I believe/know Weatherspoon played SF before being traded to the Knicks. Does he still have the speed to play the 3?
    His career was ok until the trade, but the Knicks pushed him into the 4 and he went into a long slump.

The Knicks must be trying to become the only all gaurd team in NBA history.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's funny stuff. If what Vescey says is true, then Isiah really OVERvalue Moochie big time.

14. YaoDaMean

YaoDaMean Member

Jerry Sloan made him a person with manboobs for not switching off his cell phone on the team bus. That's why he really hates Sloan:

15. mulletman

mulletman Member

imagine if the cavs overvalued him too and actually made that trade. :eek: :eek:

16. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Holy Man.

Moochie looks like an all star now playing for New York tonight. So far, nine minutes of play, 1-2 FG, 3-4 FT, 2 assists and 2 steals.

17. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Hahah. That does not last long with his shooting and shooting. He missed two in a row and turn around from leading to losing. :)

18. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

cmon now. lets be happy for mooch :)

19. Shrimpie

Shrimpie Member

That means Rockets did a hella job showcasing Moochie. Mission completed.

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Ahh, but the hidden thing is that the opposing gaurds had career gaems against mooch ;)