1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011-'13 and Harvey -- Worth a Championship ?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstunna, May 8, 2018.

?

Define the worth....

1. 2011-'13 was worth ONE championship

2. Harvey alone was worth ONE championship

3. Either was worth ONE championship

4. BOTH were worth ONE championship

5. MOAR - TWO Astros championships

6. TWO - Astros-Rockets-Texans --- specify your 2nd

7. THREE+ combination doesn't matter

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Everyone be blessed

#1 Houstunna, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. conquistador#11

there is beauty in the struggle. Definitely worth all that plus all the years of close calls.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suspect that there are plenty of Houstonians who would rather the Astros had lost 100+ games last year than deal with Harvey.

awc713, Invisible Fan, Game7 and 8 others like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Harvey cost human lives. Obviously a World Series championship does not make up for that.

As for the ‘11-13 seasons, I have maintained all along they were only worthwhile if they led to multiple World Series rings. Houston intentionally fielded one of the 3-4 worst stretches of baseball in the history of the game. One ring goes a long way to making up for it, but to make it really worth the epic tank job the fans had to endure, we need another.

5. vince

vince Member

No, human suffering does not need to be rewarded; the reward and strength we derive is internal and very personal. There isn’t Basketball or Baseball Gods like in Ancient Greece peeking in and handing out titles; sports is not real life (It’s entertainment for our amusement) Let’s not entertain confusion.

I though you were referring to Matt Harvey and maybe a trade or draft we botched in 2011.....

jsingles, Invisible Fan and msn like this.
  6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

DESERVE was a better word, but I understand how this board is.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'd say it was worth the 3 years of struggling. Nothing is worth Harvey.

One of the things that made the 3 years of struggling bearable is knowing there was at least an upward trajectory. The years of utter mediocrity in the later McLane era were terrible in their own way.

msn and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No. My house flooded twice and dealing with that has been an incredible nightmare.

Game7 likes this.
  9. theimpossibles1

I didn't get flooded so hell yeah it was worth it.... Is what a complete as*hole would say.

Stupid thread. Even by Clutchfans standards.

Invisible Fan, Game7, DudeWah and 2 others like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Seriously...?

Or...?

What the **** is wrong with you?

Invisible Fan, Game7, DudeWah and 4 others like this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

Well well well...the time has officially come for me to come across the dumbest thread on the internet.

12. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Right we’re the ones inherently flawed.

What’s the point of this thread?

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I only feel horrible for Milo Hamilton.

They put hims through garbage and he was gone before he could see the reward.

Creepy Crawl and Houstunna like this.
  14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I'm surprised you weren't busy driving recklessly to post in this thread.

Stop being an ******* in traffic.
    WAITS until someone else says something gaudy -- the post which precedes yours -- THEN, enters with big nutz.

I love you, Bucky. Never change
    Thread was poorly thought-out.

God Bless the city and its citizens, and bless them with multiple championships in all sports in the near future - and beyond. It is well deserved.

15. msn

msn Member

kudos for this bit of your post.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  16. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

ya... my sister (who is a single mom of three) losing her home was not worth us winning a championship.. over 100k worth of repairs and FEMA was able to give her 33k... she didnt have flood insurance since her area has never flooded.. still remember listening to verlanders debut on the radio as i was pulling out the walls in her home

theimpossibles1 and msn like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pinning human tragedy with sports success is entitled thinking for the inconsiderate.

I'm glad OP wasn't affected too much by Harvey to think it was a prop for the Stros pulling it off, I guess?

Anyways, it was worth the tanking if only because the Stros never won it all and weren't huge favorites even when they were respectable during the Killer Bs era. That was a great and painful time. I guess I was lucky not to be old enough to remember Nolan Ryan...

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Well shame on the victims for echoing sentiments of, "winning doesn't solve the problem, but it does help" and/or "we need it (winning)". These people were interviewed during the playoffs and at the parade. Surely you remember this, right ?

Shame on the broadcasters and media for repeating these same sentiments. Surely you and everyone who's read this thread remembers hearing these thoughts -- and likely agreed with said thoughts -- as they were repeated OVER and OVER again. However, let's all pretend these statements/thoughts never happened.

Shame on the Astros for having Houston Strong on their jerseys. Shame on Bregman and Hinch for saying the Astros wanted to win EVEN MORE because of the storm..... HOW INCONSIDERATE OF THEM !!!

The exact same thing happened after Katrina with the Saints and Sept 11th with the Yankees... they just didn't finish the deal.

Fact is, sports is always used to galvanize people, especially during tragedy. Everyone reading these forums already knows this... but yeah, let's pretend otherwise.

The poll wasn't limited to ONE championship, yet nobody has said, "forget one ring, give me FIVE or TEN championships for everything I'm going through". Responses are mostly just "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO"... which coincides with what I already stated.. "I know how this board is". Shame on me for thinking it would be different.

Lock this thread. Some people are NOT going to be fair.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's one thing to put extra effort to win a championship for the city. It's another to assume that people are due because of it...like it makes up for the lives Harvey has still ruined.

Sorry you can't see how fortunate you are.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

People died in Harvey. There was serious damage to survivors lives.

As much as I live and die with every pitch, it is just a game at the end of the day.

msn likes this.