1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: suns plan to offer max to capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2018.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

basketballholic faints

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I can't see letting Capela leave. Sure, it's a contract year, and if I were him I'd be sucking down an extra Advil or two and stapling my foot back on if I were in a car accident and giving it 123% ("that's impossible; by definition you can only give 100%" -- The Simpsons). But he's a big part of our success.

Although the race to shed Ryan Anderson just got more desperate: "Plus our 2018 first rounder. OK, and the 2020 first rounder. No, you can't have the rights to Sergio Llull........don't hang up, don't hang up! Fine. Take him. (Ain't never coming over anyway.) What? Nothing. So, we get ZBo and Kosta Koufos, right? OK, we'll call right back.....Get me Brooklyn on the phone........

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeey, buddy. What do you mean? You've always been my BFF. OK, I've got ZBo and Koufos for your 2nd round pick. What? I already gave the rights to Llull to the Quee---the Kings. OK, conditional 2nd rounder, fine. Deal?................Call the league office."

3. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

yeah it's not an easy decision by any means. I guess at the end of the day we match him regardless. It would just really sting I'd imagine for CP3 especially if they don't win it all this year. I realize that's a tall order and pressure-packed, but it's the reality. This is the season to seize the day and go all the way. CP3 is not getting any younger either....so I believe this is his best shot.

4. mightybosstone

If this happens, something tells me that Morey matches. Maybe he could find a taker for Anderson's albatross of a contract in the offseason to make the tax payments a little more bearable, although I think he'll be doing that anyway.

5. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Isn't Tucker around until 20-21 using MLE? If so is there any MLE left at that point? What about bi-annual?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Except Parsons is no Capela.

Parsons was older and not as talented as Capela hitting RFA.

Not a good comparison

D-rock likes this.
  7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Anderson still has 2 years. How do we unload that unless someone is desperate to get off the salary floor while tanking while viewing ryno's contract as an asset AFTER next season due to it being an expiring. Would love to find a team that is going full on re-build that has a wing that shoots 40+% from three and can play some D and willing to give him to us for Ryno. bwhahaha

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If they give Capella the max. You will have harden cp3 and capela making 100+ million dollars. Giving him max money is just not a good idea unless you think he can develop some offensive skills other than dunking. Look at what happen to TT.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

CP3 can and will get the same money regardless of whether Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon are here. They have his rights. Same with Capela and Ariza.

So many of you are worrying about problems that are irrelevant unless you're Tilman Fertitta or his personal accountant.

gatsby, TMac'n, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dwight is reading this article like, "Wait a minute.. you can get max money playing defense and running baseline to baseline!?"

It's a conspiracy to bankrupt Tilman.

rocketman84 and J Sizzle like this.
  11. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

THINK ABOUT IT.
    ANDERSON and ANDREW WIGGENS got max contract...
    So...you better give CAPELA the MAX
    As long as you have the 2 core players Harden and Capela, they will reach 50+ wins every years.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Capela will not be going to Phoenix. He may sign an offer sheet with them, but the Rockets will match. You don't let a guy walk who's helped lead the team to a 50-5 record when he and the two superstar guards are in the lineup.

This is a dumb move by Phoenix though. Let's say hell froze over and the Rockets didn't match. You really wanna be paying max money to a guy who can't create his own shot? Capela is a terrific player, but he's also a product of the system he's in and the guards he plays with.

kjayp and D-rock like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Aren't the Rockets like 50-6 or something with that trio?

I agree that it's not ideal, but I'd rather not break up an elite core.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is the exact reason why 80% of Clutchfans hates Ryan Anderson.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But .....Clint is just a pick and roll center. he won't be offered the max. lol

if we don't match we are stupid.

rocketman84, s3ts and D-rock like this.
  16. trugoy

trugoy Member

There is 0% chance that the Rockets let Capela walk. If they let Capela walk, here's the consequences.

1. Say goodbye to the switching defence, only a few DPOY centers in the NBA have the defensive impact that Capela has, Draymond Green, Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, are really he only other centers who can switch on to guards and maintain good defensive presence.

2. Say goodbye to any other free agents, it would send a signal to the whole NBA that the Rockets are penny pinchers and not serious about championship contention.

3. Chris Paul would most likely seriously re-consider resigning in Houston, why would he stay in an organisation that puts money above winning? He has a lot of other choices.

4. James Harden would be pissed. After all the years of building the program in Houston, management decides to pioritize money over winning? He would bolt like Durant did from OKC.

Absolutely zero chance.

seeingred, D-rock and ribbit like this.
  17. Voltik

Voltik Member

The way that Capela plays this Warrior series will be key, whether we lose or win. If Capela outshines his matchup and plays a pivotal role for our defense and offense, we definitely should match any number on his upcoming contract. On the contrary, if Capela doesn’t play well and is abused by the Warriors we should think twice on Capela and go after a similar player (tough find) or a cheaper player that can fit playing against bigger teams while we go small with the Warriors. It seems as of now, the beating the Warriors is always the goal to get out of the West unless Durant goes elsewhere.

If we max Capela and CP3, it is more crucial to move Anderson so we can sign Luc and others this offseason.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

How much is the max?

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

capela with the suns would be sad. he'd look up as he rolls to the basket wide open and see no lob nor bounce pass coming his way. imagine how confused he'd constantly be.

20. basketballholic

This upcoming series against the Warriors will determine Capela's real contract value to our franchise.

ribbit likes this.