1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict Capela's salary in Restricted FA and whether we match!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Dec 3, 2017.

1. seeingred

seeingred Member

No way Morey lets Capela walk away without a return. If he can't move Ryno's contract then we'll go over the cap to keep Clint (if need be) and take our chances with the veteran bargain bin.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is gonna get a max deal.

DD

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. BackdoorHarden

4. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I really don’t think Clint would take a deal that hinders our ability to still maintain a deep roster.

He really enjoys winning and being around two elite playmakers who make him much better.

I can’t see him going somewhere like the aforementioned Suns, even if it is for a max deal.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. StevieCrossover

Whatever anderson got. 1st draft pick plus ryan anderson for free.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And he isn’t leaving Houston. :)

7. Jeff_TW

Jeff_TW Member

Rockets win the chip and give CC a max deal to keep this team together, that's the way to go

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There is a decent chance that a few teams that may have interest in Capela will end up drafting a center in the draft.

Huricane likes this.
  9. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

This.

In this years draft, 6 of the top 10 guys are centers or power forwards.

1.) DeAndre Ayton - 7'0" Center (Projected to go first or second if Luka gets drafted first)
    2.) Marvin Bagley - 6'11" Power Forward (Top 5 Pick)
    3.) Jaren Jackson Jr. - 6'11" Power Forward (Top 5 Pick)
    4.) Wendell Carter - 6' 10" Center / Power Forward (Top 10 Pick)
    5.) Mohamed Bamba - 7' 10" Center (Some boards have him projected as high as the 2 or 3 pick
    6.) Kevin Knox - 6' 9" Combo Forward (Top 15)
    7.) Mitchell Robinson - 7' 1" Center (Top 15 Pick)

Other Bigs Projected to be lottery picks

Luka Doncic - 6' 8" Small Forward
    Michael Porter - 6' 10" Small Forward

The teams that have salary cap space are also teams in the lottery that could use an upgrade at center and might actually draft a center.

Phoenix* and Dallas are two teams that have the salary cap space to sign a big name free agent and are in need of bigs.
    Atlanta and Chicago are two more teams with salary cap space and have high draft picks.

Based on their draft position, the best available player in the draft for these teams will either be a center (Ayton / Carter / Bamba) or power forward. If Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta or Chicago draft one of DeAndre Ayton, Luka Doncic, Michael Porter, Marvin Bagley, Mo Bamba, or Jaren Jackson, I seriously doubt they pursue Clint Capella. All five of these guys are all considered to have more talent and upside than Capella.

So if I team like Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta and Chicago draft a big and choose not to pursue a big via free agency, that only leaves the Indiana and the Lakers that could pursue Capella and give him a big pay raise. The Lakers have their eyes set on Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Lebron James.

There is probably nothing that will prevent the Rockets from going to into the luxury tax.
    Chris Paul, Luc Mbah a Moute and Clint Capella are all due pay raises.
    However, the fact that there are several quality bigs in this years draft "might" save Tillman Fertita from luxury tax purgatory.
    The Rockets might get away with paying Capella only $15 million per year versus $20 to $30 million per year.

Only five NBA teams project to have cap space for 2018 offseason
    https://hoopshype.com/2017/09/14/only-five-nba-teams-project-to-have-cap-space-for-2018-offseason/

kevtse likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15 million? :D Sheesh I sure hope so...

11. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

this GSW series will be a measure if CC will be let go or not....I've read somewhere that the Suns are very interested in him..better sign and trade him if he'll be let go...the suns can get Luka Doncic in the first round....and for us, DJ is right there of course

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I believe that the Rockets will look slightly different next year. I do not doubt that TF will pay the luxury tax, but I could see certain guys moved in the hopes the Rockets can get production for cheaper.

I think Anderson will be moved even if picks have to be attached, possibly Gordon and guys that make more money. It will be interesting.

13. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Its hard to imagine Clint turning down a max contract after coming off a rookie deal. I hope some of you are right but I just don't see it. Its hard to know if he is a max player because wherever he goes his offensive numbers are going to fall off just because of the system. Defensively though I can only see his numbers go up.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Haha of course Dallas! They are always sucking out knee caps.

15. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

Yikes... Capela for the max?

Capela, like Draymond Green, are in perfect places to maximize their talents. I think both of them need talented players around them to maximize their abilities. I assume Max players would be go to guys on teams.. are Capela and Green go to guys? Give them the ball in crunch time to get you a bucket?

With that being said, there are a lot of dumb GM's who will offer him stupid money

Vivi likes this.
  16. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

i'm less worried about capela getting the max and more worried about cp3 getting a max 4-5 year contract.

17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think teams realise that they can build around capela. in other words, they may not have a james harden or chris paul yet, but they can get a serviceable pick and roll guard, draft young talent, and build a system like the warriors and rockets...they realise that its just as hard to find a center as capela, as it is to find a james harden. Harden was not this good when we got him. Harden is twice the player he was when he first got here. Its not like the suns and mavericks would expect to compete with the good teams right away. Capela is so young. and i predict, he'll get more than cousins this contract.

darksoul35 likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It’s just not really debatable anymore at this point. He’s getting the max and teams know they have to offer it to snag him from the Rockets.

The main issue will be timing. I have a feeling it’s 12:01 am first day that he gets that offer which puts Houston in a bind potentially to make decisions on other free agency situations.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with you but i also think that at least in the Lebron to Houston scenario Morey will know if he's coming way before those days thanls to CP3 so, he's going to have all the time to make the right moves to make that happen.