1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Offseason Plans Will Be Defined By This Series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, May 9, 2018.

1. macan

macan Member

we will beat the worriers and KD will come join us for his next chapter this summer

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Can't Lebron just stay and trade their draft pick for a sign and traded Boogie to NO? Sorry, i don't remember all the rule changes that happen every year. Can picks or players be used in sign and trades anymore? Seems likely LeBron stays. They have Love, and i know ESPN will push the narrative that he has no help, but the rest of the team are nice role players despite what ESPN says. Especially in the EAST. All they need is to use the draft pick to get 1 superstar player to help LeBron on a consistent basis or to get 2 high level role players/lower tier all stars. No reason for him to come here or come West at all. I'd honestly see CP3 leaving US to go join him in Cleveland before LeBron comes here-again if sign and trades are even allowed anymore? No idea.

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I think regardless moves will be made just depends how major If they lose. Ego I think is gone either way, maybe should of kept Lou instead .
    Ryan is another goner unless he does something insane next round, JJ ect also all dumped for LB

4. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

No offense but are these changes taking the CBA into account? Whether we win or lose the plan for the offseason is the same as always, construct the best team possible. That only changes at the trade deadline based on impact to the current team vs long term gain. We are over the cap and will operate over the tax next year. We cannot go after Boogie because he is a free agent and that has a lot of issues because of his injury and not being available next season. We are not doing a garage sale of the roster. We are resigning Capela because he is not an asset we can replace. This is not the Portions situation. We are only getting LBJ if he opts in. Help us understand exactly what you mean. Your premise about major fork is correct. The roster will be locked from now on (Harden, CP3, Capela, and maybe LBJ on max or near maxes).

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Won’t matter. Safe to say:

1) Rockets intend to re-sign: CP3/Ariza/Tucker/Gerald Green/Capela....CP3/Capela last.

2) Move Ryan Anderson (if possible)

3) add free agent(s): upgrade PF or backup to Tucker.
    Upgrade backup center, allowing Nene to be 3rd string. Pending advancements of Qi and/or Zhou Qi.
    Back up point guard like Devin Harris.....someone advanced in age that is willing to be 3rd/4th string at vet min.

4) Second round draft pick offers younger athletic wing options (Stacey Augmon, Tony Snell types that can learn to shoot) or PG opportunities (some tall PG projects in second rd).

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You nailed it. The Rockets do not have the cap room to even come close to replacing talent of either CP3 or Capela. Retaining them will allow the team to go far into the luxury tax.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Edited: *3) Hartenstein/Qi

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Give me the Alphabet .....

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Get JJ Redick .. Get Rodney Hood .. make it rain!

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If we can't beat the Warriors this season, we definitely need to pick up another elite level talent to compete with them, assuming they all stay together. The obvious choice is LeBron, who at this point in his career is a proven playoff performer and someone who will really elevate their game in the postseason. Another candidate would be Paul George or maybe Kawhi but both of those don't seem feasible. It'll be interesting to see if we can manage to dump Anderson's contract so we can use that valuable cap space on someone who actually contributes.

11. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

While we’re here, Cousins should never a target.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hardest thing to do.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. Milos

Milos Member

All I can think about evey time the LBJ stuff comes up
    Might be the only NBA player for whom I wouldnt blink to move Capela

I think this is why Pels HAVE to let Boogie walk
    Cannot see AD wasting his prime w that moron the next 4-5 yrs
    Even then, might not keep AD around much longer
    But maxing out Boogie might push him out right away

Kyrie just forced his way to BOS
    Jimmy got his Thibs reunion
    PG & Melo tried but failed & got spite-dealt into Russ' shadow
    If AD wants out, he's prob got a 50/50 shot at calling his next home

I always thought he'd end up in BOS
    Unlike Cousins, Horford has shown he thrives in comp role wo constant touches
    If he wants them we cant compete w Tatum / Jaylen + Hayward package

LAL seem fated to make a deal for another star to pair w PG13 signing
    Again, anything built around Ingram + Randle trumps any CC deal we could make

Can't see him wanting to share post w Embiid after Boogie experience

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Add Lebron, jettison Trevor, Gordon, and Anderson. Give more minutes to Green, Luc, and another smart add by Morey.