1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

White Girl/Chinese Dress Scandal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, May 4, 2018.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

[​IMG]

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Style/te...rked-cultural-appropriation/story?id=54866211

Seriously, my wife asked me today what all the guys on ClutchFans think about this. I hadn't heard about it, but evidently a girl wore a traditional Chinese dress to prom, and some Asian-Americans were upset with the cultural appropriation.

Interestingly, in the last day or so, there's been a counter movement of support for the girl coming from China.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...controversial-cheongsam-prom-dress/580062002/

ClutchFans has a decent sized Asian and Asian-American population, I'm curious what people think about this.

Possibly D&D worthy, but I thought I'd chance it.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Already in D&D.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Here's the non-D&D version of my take: I'm cool with it. She's wearing it to be beautiful, not to mock anyone.

Of course, I'm not Asian, so maybe not the demographic you want to hear from. But, if she wants to offend my French heritage with a pencil skirt, a beret, and a cigarette, I'm down with that. Or, if she wants to put on a cowboy hat and boots, that's fine too (of course, she's from Utah, so she might already have those things).

4. omgTHEpotential

Recreational outrage. Nothing wrong with any of this.

TejasTom likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the D&D thread covers this topic well enough. Most of us feel like there's a clear line between:
    1. Wearing/eating/listening/performing something from another culture because you really like it.
    and
    2. Wearing/eating/listening/performing something from another culture because you seek to mock or belittle it.

(Then there's a third category where a dominant culture economically profits from appropriating something, like a musical tradition.)

I wasn't at this prom, thank god. But from what we can tell, she wasn't mocking or belittling chinese culture. She also didn't really profit from it, unless it was a really wild prom. (Finally, if anyone thinks cultural fashions haven't experienced intercontinental influences over hundreds and even thousands of years, they might be in for a surprise but whatever.)

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Who cares.

Nowadays you can be damn near buck ass naked to prom and get less national attention than this.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with her wearing the dress, nor would I have a problem with her rocking dreads, which is an even touchier subject imo. We should celebrate other cultures and hopefully understand it better over time.

In any case, that girl shouldn't have her youth turned upside down over a social issue. So easy to turn things into a life or death situation on the internet.

Cultural appropriation is being thrown around like the racist word, which is a shame. There's some legit concerns but I think we're too quick to judge rather than give the benefit of the doubt. It makes it easier to throw those walls up quicker when we're engaged with petty scorekeeping.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anything is wrong unless she's fat

jk

AroundTheWorld, CometsWin and Jontro like this.
  9. theimpossibles1

I drank a corona yesterday. Hope I didn't offend Mexico.

malakas, arkoe, TejasTom and 5 others like this.
  10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She didnt do anything wrong. People just trying to make a name for themselves by being upset about everything. Like most dresses at prom, they wind up on the floor at the nearest motel 6 anyways.

Uprising and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What about Esco from Korea? Can we get a ruling?

Jontro likes this.
  12. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I think she looks beautiful in that dress, and that’s all it really matters. I’m all for people trying out stuff that’s not from their culture. The idea of cultural appropriation is just stupid.

The kids that throw tantrum all over this doesn’t even know our culture. The Qipao dress the girl wears was itself actually a product of cultural fusion between the Manchurian culture and Han Chinese culture as well as some western culture. China was a melting pot of cultures over the vast majority of its history, with its culture being influenced by and exerting influence over countless ethnic groups, from the Xiongnu people in 200 bc to the Manchurian people. Many of these groups have been assimilated into the dominant Han Chinese culture, even if they had conquered and ruled the land. I think there is a component that throughout most of history, China views its culture as more advanced compared to its neighbors, and it just doesn’t care or even encourage others to adopt its culture, like when Japan was sending delegates to the Tang Dynasty. Many times, this cultural export led to good stuff for China.

So if you like our culture, feel free to adopt whatever, it will just make it easier for us to influence and conquer you. MUAHAHAHAHA

malakas likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Agreed. She's not some idiot frat/sorority dumbass showing up for Halloween in a sombrero with an unusually large mustache and pancho. It was a pretty dress and that's the one she chose. Anyone that gets offended by this really has way too much time on their hands and needs to learn to focus on actual problems.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If people think it's racist for her to wear the dress, then they are not going to like my jokes about female Asian drivers.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Let me hear them jokes

16. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm glad that Keziah stood up for herself. The way she responded to this non-issue was excellent. She kept her head high and didn't back down from the stupid outrage mob.

Also, the fact that she's getting support from China does not surprise me at all.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

i dislike black panther because it would be culturally insensitive for me to like it.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

She's got an ambiguous facial structure. She looks good in that dress.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Mexicans don't really drink Corona do they? Its like a cheap crappy export that Americans love.