1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the pessimism?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Apr 28, 2018.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

I keep seeing posts about how the Jazz are a bad matchup for us, how they're a nightmare defensively, how we're ill-equipped to deal with Mitchell or Gobert or whoever, how they've barely lost in the last couple of months, how Crowder is a difference maker, blah blah...

Enough of this nonsense. Quit reading fake news. Time for a FACT check:

The Rockets blew out the Jazz in Houston twice this year, by 27 and 21 points.

The Rockets beat the Jazz in Utah twice this year, by 11 points both times. One of those games featured a full-strength Jazz roster on their home court versus a Rox squad without its starting center and best defender, who were both were out with injuries.

Here's another FACT: The only nightmare matchup in this entire championship run is going to be the Warriors. Nobody else can beat us four times out of seven. NOBODY.

More FACTS: We have this year's MVP, one of the greatest offensive players the game has ever seen. Next to him in the backcourt is... one of the greatest point guards the game has ever seen.

Another FACT: Sure, the Jazz beat the Thunder, but the Thunder SUCK. (Okay, that's an opinion, but it anyone who actually watched the Thunder play this year going to argue that they're elite? Seriously?? They were a mediocre team with some very good players.)

I don't get why any member of ClutchFans would feel pessimistic about this series. Sure, the Jazz have played well in the last two months. Guess who else dominated the league over that same span? Yup.

Utah's BEST efforts against us this year were still double-digit losses. They will be lucky to win a game in this series.

This is not their year.

It's OURS.

#1 topfive, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  2. photojoe

photojoe Member

I think the concern is that the Jazz are very clearly peaking at the right time. They have been playing extremely well since mud January and are playing their best basketball of the season right now.

The Rockets- it feels like we haven't seen them in their peak, best basketball for a couple of months. Even though we beat a pretty good Minnesota team pretty easily, outside of a few quarters we didn't even see the best of the Rockets for a complete game.

That said, even when the Rockets aren't playing as well as we know they are capable of, they can still be very good. And the reason that I am not worried about this series is because the peak of the Rockets is much, much, much better than the peak of the Jazz.

I will give them a win in Utah. But Rockets take the series in 5, and have time to rest and watch as GSW-NOP goes 7

joeson332 likes this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Because Clutchfans gonna clutchfans. Filled with eternal pessimists and kneejerkers...

No worries, they will be lined up by @DonKnock

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i was hoping we be able to rest the starters in the 4th Q's but i've now grown pessimistic on this thinking only the last 5min maybe. hope harden still fresh for warrierrs tho

5. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

But Rockets been plying good ball since January only recently (in the playoffs) have we seen them not playing well. Well the last 2 games we seen them getting back to their game...

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Plenty of rest between games in the playoffs to make up for those extra 3 or 4 minutes on the court.

7. Coach E

Coach E Member

8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Average margin of victory against the Jazz this year was 17.5 points.

Pretty easy to see why these "Rockets fans" aren't giving us much of a chance against them.

9. Mr. Space City

only reason the jazz are good defensively is because of gobert in the paint and gobert has been ineffective vs. the rockets.

harden dropped 56/13 on the jazz WITH rudy gobert playing.

10. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

This current Jazz team is far better than the one we played in the regular season.

That being said, we’re still taking this series for sure.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Anybody that thinks they are a "bad matchup" doesn't really know what they are talking about. Truth be told, they are probably the 3rd best team in the NBA, but we are a poor matchup for them.

The primary way to beat the Jazz is to remove Gobert from the paint, or the floor entirely via fouls. No team is better equipped to do that than us. With Harden and Paul penetrating, forcing him into the PnR, or playing Ryno at the 5 and going 5 out.

Offensively they are very limited, so they aren't likely to go off, nor can they punish us in any way for going small.

#11 sealclubber1016, Apr 28, 2018
    D-rock, ElDobleK and topfive like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think the Thunder suck per se. Just my 2 cents.

They were getting it together with Roberson.........and then they continued to be inconsistent.

I think if they switched Melo with a borderline Allstar, it would have been much better.

They failed to build up chemistry, you could blame it on Russ, you could blame it on Hoodie Melo or Donovan who only won on Collegiate level.

13. Mr Chuck Norris

It's clutchfans.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

whiskeyred and topfive like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's a lot of sucking for a team that doesn't suck. ;)

Like I said, some very good players on a mediocre team.

#15 topfive, Apr 28, 2018
    daywalker02 likes this.
  16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Watching the Thunder and the Jazz play, it was such an offensive struggle. Those teams couldn’t score 50 points in almost 3 quarters sometimes. We can score 50 in one quarter. If we have 1 good quarter a game we should beat Utah easily.

D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

A bunch of chicken. Little. I'm confused how are we I'll equipped to take on the jazz but are ok for the warriors. Lol. These people are just wack. I repeat. We are on a collision course with the Warriors.No the Pelicans not going to win stop trying to take the easy way out people we getting the Warriors that's what we want Win Lose or Draw

Rocket River and topfive like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep, the WCF against Golden State is going to be the toughest part of our entire year. Good thing we have home court advantage.

mike2k132 likes this.
  19. topfive's_gf

topfive's_gf Member

If you've jinxed us because of your thread I swear you're sleeping on the couch for the rest of the playoffs.

D-rock, Deuce, BigShotBob and 4 others like this.
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Or simply lin only fans
    Tmac only fans
    Wb only fans
    Jeremy lamb only fans
    anti rockets winnings fans
    Etc