1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coogs vs. Warriors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mateo, Dec 26, 2003.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Nice comeback with 20 seconds left by the Coogs. I have to admit I just turned to the game after the Rockets game ended, but its been a great game so far...

I love the OT system in college football.

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Great game.

Nice, pitiful fight at the end.:rolleyes:

3. SLA

SLA Member

Damn 3 overtimes.
    And damn...violent ending.
    Jesus...bad way to end a bowl...horrible.
    Hopefully everyone is safe..
    54-48.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The postgame brawl was just as entertaining as the game.

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I hope a couple of those Coogs (and Warriors) get suspended a game or two next season (if they're back)...specifically the UH player who used a Hawaii helmet as a weapon.

6. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

I haven't seen a brawl like that in a long time. Dog piles, punches, helmets being thrown, ect, ect. Heck, it was better than most baseball "brawls". One UH lineman (maybe #94) went after about 10 Warriors and he got smacked down. They jumped on him and I guess he got out, but the camera moved and I didn't see the guy again. Hawaii (the school, not the team) got lucky that some order was established after the brawl started, because it looked to me that a full-scale riot was about to break out. Also, it appeared that no fans charged the field. If that happened then we would still be watching a riot on ESPN.

Unfortunately, for UH, tomorrow people aren't going to be talking about a great game and a comeback. Instead this riot will be on everybody's mind.

7. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

Faos--- I saw multiple helmets (mostly on the UH side) being thrown.

Too bad I don't have a TiVO. I would have liked to use slow-mo replay to see all of the infractions taking place.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

People will quickly judge UH as the aggressor (cause of the player swinging the helmet shown on ESPN) but postgame brawls are not new for Hawaii. If I'm Briles, I review the videotape, and if it can be determined UH started the fight, then I'd suspend players. Otherwise I would do nothing.

9. SLA

SLA Member

Okay..lol it was sort of entertaining.

But hopefully everyone is safe!

How did it start?

10. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Man, that was worse than Flordia v Florida State.

Anybody else see the Houston player kick (it appeared as if he was kicking) the Hawai'i player (out of camera view) when he was on the ground. The officer looked like he was tending to him and made a 'stand back' motion.

That was something though. Oh, and great game too.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hawaii is notorious for starting fights.

Just ask Cincinatti.

Houston played a game for the ages. Underdogs with hearts bigger than the island they were playing on.

Don't let some bullcrap camera angles determine what you think..

As for the UH player who swung the helmet (Damien West) he was charging into a pile of Warriors who were practically mauling a Houston player..

Win or lose, it's good to be part of a true ESPN classic.

12. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Yeah and the Houston player (Damien West) that was swinging the Hawaii helmet had just had 5-10 Hawaii players kicking/hitting him while he was on the ground, I dont blame him. What a great game, U.H. has a bright future ahead.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I can see where Houston is coming from in this. Maybe I'm a little bias, but....:)

First of all, I saw at least five missed calls that were right in front of the refs that were missed(mostly holds, but at least one facemask on a wide reciever from Hawaii). Houston was the underdog, especially with the whole playing Hawaii in Hawii. I think teams should not be alowed to play at their home stadium in non-BCS bowls.

Second, the whole going for the extra touchdown at the end of the game coulda been taken the wrong way. I'm glad Houston blocked the field goal and went on to score in the little time they had(after being screwed by the refs on the illegal motion call. Shouldn't they have blown the play dead if it were a pre-snap foul? Oh wait, that's beacause they threw the flag AFTER THE PLAY HAD STARTED.) That shows the heart of this young team.

Next, I think that Hawaii's celebration was a little excessive. Sure they were at home, and it was a hard faught game, but try not to celebrate too much on an emotionally-drained team, that just had a nice comeback, and is away from home for Christmas. This game meant everything to this team. They missed Christmas, and it was their teams first time in a bowl since 1996. The whole thing was like a big slap in the face. They were just severely dissapointed that they lost, but that doesn't condone their actions.

After all these excuses, I'd just like to say that I wouldn't be suprised if both teams were declared ineligible for bowls next year, which is really a big blow to Houston, because they are on the rise, and need the attention. I don't condone these type of fights, but they are entertaining as long as nobody is injured.:)

14. Houstonrocketss

That was a good game...sad to see them lose but atleast the program is going in the right direction.

Congrats Cougs on a good year!

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I remember seeing one illegal hands to the face by a Hawaii WR that ended up costing us dearly.

Not to mention almost a half-dozen blown holding calls.

The officiating was not horrible, but I swear to god that the blown call ratio was heavily skewed against Houston.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. Thank God I am not the only one who saw them. The one hands to the face(Facemasking) call was on like the 20, and would have put them back to the 35 or so. That could have been a drive-stopper, as you said.

Also, just a random question: When did they start spelling Hawaii with an apostraphie? I've never seen it spelled "Hawai'i", but it was everywhere.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't know.

I noticed it after I bought my Hawaii bowl shirt.

I guess it's the traditional way to spell it.. hawai'ians can do what they please I guess.

P.S. did anyone notice the Hawaii mascot IN THE MIDDLE of everything? this isn't the first time he's been involved in scuffles..

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I don't give a rat's ass how many missed calls there were; act responsibly for heaven's sake. There's no reason to get involved in a brawl like that; particularly when it could effect something in the future and you're trying to build a program.

Not too mention the guy who went in helmet swinging. How stupid is that? On national TV? There's no excuse for that. At all.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

you get in their shoes and tell me how you feel.

I saw five helmets come off.

Three Hawaii helmets thrown at UH players.

Two Houston helmets ripped off in a scuffle.

Again.. watch the replay.. you'll notice West busting into a gang of Hawaii players trying to defend his teammate who was being mobbed (neither West nor the player being attacked had a helmet on)

This is just another day at the office for Hawaii.

20. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i had to give you a quadruple rolleyes for that one, you are on my official on p***y list. what the hell is that kind of talk and perspective. have you been jamming boy george or something, whats going on man.