1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[COD BOMB] Rockets have a backup plan for BIG 6 if signing Lebron fails in the summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

True be it is almost literally a 20 million dollar test . . . . . ..
    he can chase the ring next year

Rocket River

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

In bold is another way of saying the Rockets changed his play. Which is what I said. If the Rockets can change
    Josh Smith they can change Melo !!

Josh didn’t give a rat’s Butt about changing in Atlanta who had good years of going to the playoffs with Horford,
    Josh Smith and Millsap. He took ill-advised mid range jump shot over and over again. His
    teammates pleaded with him and his media pleaded with to stop settling for jump shots.

Do you think in Detroit that changed? No. Stan VanGundy loved Josh’s poor shot selection so much that
    he sat him down and eventually told him to leave the team. Most of those poor midrange shots in 14/15
    are attributed to Detroit. They couldn’t find a trade partner so they waived him. The Rockets gave him
    a shot; but told him don’t mess up. “We shoot 3’s if you are open and shots near the rim.” In Detroit
    they tried to play Josh at SF. More jump shots were expected.

Now don’t get me wrong, in 14/15 most of those mid range shots are on Detroit; But often Harden and Dwight
    Howard held on to the ball too long and passed it to Josh deep into the shot clock and he had to shoot.
    Or the ball didn’t hit rim and Josh ended up with the deflection and had to shoot with seconds ticking
    off the clock. It’s to be expected there will some mid range shots; but you are not acknowledging the
    drastic decrease in 14/15 after coming from the Pistons.

Now in 15/16 Josh started the year out bad and reverted back to his old self.....got himself traded to the Clips
    as a result. The point is this Rockets team could control Melo much the same way the Rockets dictated
    that same role Josh Smith had in 14/15. This conversation started by me saying Melo doesn’t have a role
    in OKC.....Houston has structure and would define the role for Melo. Or as you say Dictate.

#322 ApacheWarrior, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  3. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I would welcome melo here if he can take one for the team and come off the bench with Gordon.. that’s a big 2 off the bench.
    With
    Harden
    Cp3
    Capela/DJ iF capela traded
    And maybe PG13-Khawi- lebron- as the new big 4. One can only dream

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Carmelo? I don't know. To quote Van Gundy: He's always been a ball stopper. I haven't seen many OKC games this season, so I don't know if it's just an overall chemistry thing and how much it has to do with Carmelo (Paul George's shooting touch has been "I'd-rather-be-on-the-Lakers" recently). Would he blend in with the Rockets? Does the team take that gamble if Carmelo wanted to take less money?

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

With Melo and Ryno we'd have about $45M sitting on that bench. o_O

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

i use to think a melo could change with certain adjustments but after seeing him throughout the year this year. Not so much anymore. Certain guys just have a mentality that is not subject to change especially "alphas". Melo has always had that and always will. hes not the type of player who responds well to telling him you have to do this or that. And thats going on what 17 years now in the league. Sure people can assume a cp3/harden can all of a sudden change him. Again, I'm not so sure and wouldn't put my money on that. He was in one of the worst situations that he put himself in in New York. He gets a drastic change in scenery and is still not an ideal type of player I would want on my team. If melo needs someone to babysit him and put him in place, thats a problem. Players need to be able to hold themselves accountable first. Being on a team with talent takes sacrifices from everyone. The fact that he was insulted from day 1 about possibly coming off the bench says a ton. As if hes too good for that...please, no you're not and the whole world now sees it. Im pretty much pass the Melo drama and would prefer him not on this team.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not worried about it. Why fix what isn't broken? We are the best team in the league. Another big and tall back-up for Clint would be nice though. We don't need another hero.

Corrosion and da_juice like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"We don't need to know the way home...
    All we want is life bey-o-ond....the Thunderdome"

Good Lord, is that movie already thirty-three years old?

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And I can still hear Tina singing it like yesterday.

10. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Melo Stays, Donavan goes. A element no one is discussing much. I look for OKC to Pull out all the stops to get
    Fizdale.

saleem likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ok there it is. We don’t have to play word games. Cut to it. You don’t think Melo will change.
    I understand your apprehension towards that matter. Melo didn’t handle the Linsanity wave very well. Led
    to the departure of Lin and D’Antoni.

Melo didn’t handle the triangle offense of Phil Jackson well. Could have handled it better even though he and
    Courtney Lee voiced their displeasure about running that scheme. It got Phil Jackson removed (Phil did that to himself) and forced Melo out of NY.

D’Antoni left the Knicks in the 2011/12 season.....later that summer D’Antoni helped coach the USA team that won
    Gold.....with Melo. Did Melo hog the ball? No. He played team basketball.

Josh Smith came to Houston over other offer(s) because of his friend from AAU (D12). Reports say Josh was
    the main mediator between D12 & Harden (along with JET). Go figure, the man known for irrationality was
    the rational one. That fell apart the next season when D12 was determined to show the world that his
    post up game reigned supreme. It did not reign supreme in retrospect.

So now Melo “MAY” want to join D’Antoni since CP3/Harden are now showing the world that it wasn’t D’Antoni...
    rather it was Kobe/D12 that failed during his time coaching in LA and himself during the time D’Antoni was coaching
    in NY. Melo like Josh Smith, joining a friend in the form of CP3. So you don’t believe CP3 can explain the role
    Melo will have with Houston (which is simple) and follow out on those duties. Seeing how he did that with Team
    USA in 2012 and each time he has been on a national team, so many years ago?

Ok, I respect that. I myself have reservations. I’m somewhere like 50/50 split. I can see his skill set with
    what the Rockets like to run plus an added wrinkle or two that Melo can provide and see great promise.

About this year. I don’t blame Melo so much. I think Melo has known for some time that Paul George is
    gone at seasons end. Playing for his long time love.....the Lakers. Melo doesn’t want to be stuck
    with Westbrook going forward. You know those guys that have instruments strapped on to every part
    of their bodies? That’s Westbrook. Melo and PG13 are the guys invited to play musical instruments
    with him.

Westbrook: start playing.....feel free to join in anytime.
    PG13/Melo: where/when/how do we start?
    Westbrook: just start playing
    PG13: I play they drums.....every time I’m about to jump in....you start banging on that drum at your waist.
    Melo: and every time I’m about to play my guitar......you start playing that ukulele.

Not easy.

I will bite my tongue on the matter. No matter what you or I say.....Morey will do what he wants.
    Melo may end up a Rocket despite you or me.

#331 ApacheWarrior, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    saleem likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Melo could still have a role on the Rockets in the future, but it is not the same situation as last summer. Melo would have to adjust two fold now.

Last summer, we were talking about plugging in Melo in Anderson's starting PF role. That role has evolved.

Like GSW replacing David Lee with Draymond Green, the Rockets moved Anderson to the bench in favor of PJ Tucker and the team is thriving.

If Melo were to be on the Rockets in the future, he would not only have to play like "Olympic Melo" but ALSO be comfortable as a 6th/7th man off the bench. Much like Dwyane Wade has accepted in Miami. Melo on the Rockets would take the place of what we are seeing with Joe Johnson as a backup floor spacing PF that could buoy the 2nd unit.

Is Melo ready to accept that role? That would be the question.

saleem, D-rock, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

a better Joe Johnson is how I view Melo too...he would have to be comfortable with a 20-25 mpg stretch 4 role off the bench

he’s shooting 37.5% on 5 catch and shoot threes a game in OKC, and could provide some post-up ability like JJ does

he would have to cut out the contested pull ups and tough midrange jumpers

Deuce likes this.
  14. da_juice

da_juice Member

I doubt he would accept that role although a bench lineup of Gordon-Green-Melo-Moute-Anderson would be nuts.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I am not so sure he is "ready" to accept that role either. He has to come to terms with it much in the same way Dwyane Wade did in Cleveland and also now in Miami.

But, you never know. Melo could reflect back on this season and come to terms with it.

16. Madeinchin4

Madeinchin4 Member

russell westbrook is the problem, he wants to play like an Ai or kobe but just isnt good and smart enough.

melo proved he can play with great players and be a spot up shooter during the olympics while in his prime.

he will not be a superstar anymore but will be a huge addition on a team like the rockets.

amaru likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I know it's nice thinking about getting more talent ... but we have a legit shot at the ring this year with our talent .

Depending on how the postseason goes , I would be tempted just to bring most everyone back and bank on continued improvement to chemistry and development from some young guys .

18. gogispade

gogispade Member

I agree with u... hes right on point

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, at this point i don't really think trading Ryan for Melo would be that interesting tbh (assuming he's going to opt in), Ryan will be an expiring in a year an his contract can help us making a trade going forward, and at the same time, assuming Melo will opt out AND be ok in take the MLE to play here, i'm not sure i'd spend that money on him over Luc or...let's say DeAndre (dream scenario), tbh, i think i wouldn't at this point. Last summer it was a good time to make that move, it didn't work out, Melo made his decision and we moved on so, yeah.

da_juice likes this.