1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this season a failure if the Rockets don't win the NBA Finals?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Mar 29, 2018.

?

Is this season a failure if the Rockets don't win the chip?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2018.
  1. Yes

83 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. No

74 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

To put it into context, the Spurs won 61 last year and a ridiculous 67 the year before.

Regular season doesn't mean much outside of seeding and giving the fans something to root for.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. Purvis's shorts

At this point, yes. Having the best record in the league and the MVP, now its championship or bust.

Jake Tower and Little Bit like this.
  3. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

I wouldn't put it so black and white. In any normal era, with this good of a team, I would agree that it's championship or bust.

But they are playing in the same era as possibly one of the best teams ever, if not the best, historically, when it's all said and done. I agree the Warriors haven't looked the best in the regular season, but I would argue that's partially by choice, and partially by injuries, which may or may not have much bearing on the playoffs. We just don't know yet.

So if the Rockets play a very competitive six or seven game series vs. the Warriors in the WCF, I would consider this season a success. If they get swept in 4 or lose in 5 while getting blown out several times, I would consider this season a failure.

kjayp likes this.
  4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

yes, just like every other season we didn't the trophy.

5. Coach E

Coach E Member

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Depends the result of the HOU/GSW series. If we fall to them in a tough 6 or 7 game series, no shame in that. If it's 4 or 5 games and we're blown out, then yeah, that's bad.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Don't think so.

I think getting to the WCF is the bar.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only way i accept this is if the Warriors are all healthy and only lose 2 games combined in the first and second round.

If we get beat by a hurt Warriors team that had to go to a game 6 against the Thunder than this team failed.

DreamShook likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think I would agree with this. It's very odd that the pressure is very much on the Rockets to perform this postseason, despite almost universally being looked at as not the favorites.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As I get older, I find I don't have the same reactions to losses as I do wins. I just don't get pissed anymore. Too much other stuff to deal with.

That said, I feel like anything less than making it to the WCF and a competitive loss to the Warriors would have to be considered a disappointment. If we get there and lose in 7 to the best team of this most recent era...well...so be it.

kjayp likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't jinx us.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty much my thought.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Win and win for Rockets. If we are champions, we parading. If don't win, we getting Bron. Rockets are winners and Harden is guarantee a MVP.

14. sergio

sergio Member

I’d rather have a championship over LeBron and hope for next season. I am starving for just one more championship before I die. I think we can still get LeBron even if we win it so we need go all in now.

kjayp and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It really just depends on how it unfolds. The regular season record suggests the Rockets are head and shoulders above everyone else. I don’t think that will be the case in the playoffs. They need to be at the top of their game to make it through 4 rounds. There’s no easy path to the championship.

kjayp likes this.
  16. ballscientist1

Entire world:
    Cavs championship = fluke

If Rockets beat Warriors at full strength (no injury and no suspense), the Rockets are the best team in the nba history.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'm gonna vote Yes, but no. Know what I'm sayin' ?

18. papoose115

papoose115 Member

it's a disappointment if we don't make it to WCF. after that every game is a blessing tbh. no one can tell me with a straight face that we would have 1st seed going into post season over freaking gsw.
    also expect nothing so when u get something u feel a lot better. been doing this since the series against blazers. which was why 2015 playoffs was an amazing experience for me lol

kjayp likes this.
  19. papoose115

papoose115 Member

dunno why, lol this gave me goosebumps

kjayp likes this.
  20. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Exactly. The Rockets at this point need to win it all, regardless of Warriors are healthy. Rockets have worked too hard and have a historic team. If they don’t win it now they probably won’t for a very long time.