1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Losing Interest Fast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wild Bill, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Member

I became a fan of this team in the early nineties when Hakeem started coming into his own under Cheany. I have been faithful since then. Two years ago, if a game wasn't on television here in Beaumont, it was suprising. Now the opposite is true. On top of that, there isn't a radio feed of the games as well. I thought surely they wouldn't let this happen two years in a row, but it has become apparent that the organization has become apathetic to fans in Southeast Texas. I can tell you that many fans in this area are returning the favor. I'm still a fan, but I'm not sure how much longer that will last.

2. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

It's amazing how the Rox organization will work so hard to gain fans in China whose loyalty is contingent on one player, but when it comes to those who have been there through every painful step of the way...
    I don't know what to say, because it's really made me mad, all the attention in trying to get China as a market and forgetting the local loyalties that have kept this team alive. The NBA is a business, sure, but what good business forgets the people who made them what they are?

3. Win

Win Contributing Member

Hate to admit it, but I too am losing interest; but that's relative... I always check the box scores and read the Chronicle write ups in even the most dire of times.

What is really peeving me is the very predictable certitude that JVG would turn this team into an East style team..... No, I won't say we'd win any more games in a more free-wheeling offense, but at least it would be watchable. This is like slow-death. God, I hated those NY v Miami 68 to 61 point games. Now the only team I follow is that VERY thing I most dislike.

4. SLA

SLA Member

Well they need to start winning games! Or they need a big splash! :p

And they need to fix their darn television. It looks like crap! especially compared to TNT sports broadcasting.

I watched the Mavsand Timberwolves game. It was just beautiful and great to watch. They are so good and execute so well and perfectly. It is fun to watch. I wish the Rockets could play like that. Even right now the Suns and Blazers are playing and it's nice to watch because guys are actually making shots and well..there's no defense at all..but at least it doesn't look like they are struggling just to get a shot and then bricking or having long shooting droughts. I don't know..but defense wins championships. :p I've been wishing for us to play like the Mavs and Spurs and Lakers...for like 5 years...we have been waiting..the ROckets show flashes but they are way too inconsistent. THey will never permanently get it!!! !!

First we need to either bench Cato or move him to another team...trade him. He is a great rebounder and pretty good shotblocker but he has no offense at all. This allows other teams to just doubleteam people and leave him just standing there and he is like helpless. Everyone probably knows this...maybe he should stand next to the basket at all times. Why doesn't he do this? Or stand in the corner? Or like just stay on the defensive end.. :p I think he can still be our great backup center..but we need a power forward who can shoot and do stuff..versatile..Eddie Griffin? :(

Francis is so talented and athletic and can score. I don't know why it seems like he is struggling on offense. Maybe he's sick...but I was watching Nash. Nash was just awesome. He can make open shots when he is open and he knows when to shoot and when to pass. He can penetrate and he plays smart basketball. He makes perfect passes. He does everything almost right..of course makes some mistakes. I don't get why Francis cannot do this. It's so simple... :confused: I think we should run plays similar to the ones run for AI in Philly...I think Francis can be better...he has size..and I don't know what's wrong.

Mobley should get opportunities to shoot. He has been playing well and shooting well. He should get isolation plays and on other plays..he can spot up and catch and shoot. Or I think Mobley can do the Reggie Miller stuff and cut and get open and shoot. They just need to work on it..

Jackson is not a good shooter..he is sorta short..he is strong..and is a good all around player and veteran. I think we should give him more plays on offense to go 1 on 1 against his man. He has made many shots like this...he can do it..against people similar to his size. And on other plays he should be cutting to the basket or spreading the floor and be ready to catch and shoot or drive to the basket..which he doesn't do too good YET.

Cato should always stay near the basket. Why does he stand at the 3 point line? THat's why we need Griffin...to stand at the 3 point line..in our offense.

Yao is our post man. He should try to establish a low post position every play I guess..but I don't think he is ready to dominate yet...he needs more experience and confidence and time...he can score...just feed him when he is hot..always go to him first or when nothing else is working..or let him stand out at the 3 point line and let Cato go inside...Yao can make those open shots from outside. He should get and take and make more of them.

Moochie should not play at all.

Piatkowski should just continue to play like he has been playing. His defense is sorta bad but I like him and he knows how to play and does little things...he can spread the court and catch and shoot and make desperation last second shots.

Padgett should get playing time and do what he's been doing. He's been trained pretty well..and he knows what to do..I like his 10 minutes of contributions.

Taylor is offense...he needs to get more involved..he is also a shooter. Defense is just a huge liability.

All of the players without the ball should be trying to get open or be moving and should be ready and in the right positioin to catch and shoot or slash or rebound.

We should have a balanced offense..inside out...fast break..guard perimeter play...and combine it all together...maybe we need someone to implement this...and assist JVG. Everyone should be involved on offense and just take shots in the flow of the offense...take turns..run various plays..and just make the shots. Practice!! And perfect our offense...it will take time...but we are just too inconsistent. I guess we need patience.

I still think Francis is capable of playing like Parker and Nash and Cassell...maybe it's his big ego. Or maybe we need to get a point guard. Try to get Eric Snow...and please Eddie come back!

5. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Maybe I am missing something here. What makes you think Rox organization is marketing the team to fans in China? Do they show their commercials on Chinese TV?

6. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

It's weird but I don't think we have a snowball's chance with SF on the team until he swallows his pride and plays like *LeBron* as JVG put it after the Cavs game.

7. Charvo

Charvo Member

I see nothing about the current roster aside from Yao Ming that is related to China. Having Moochie shave his head doesn't count. Of the free agents acquired, two are African-American and one is caucasian. If they really wanted to just give the team to Yao, why is Steve still on the team? Steve is on the team because the Rockets still believe in him. I see nothing from management to make me think that their belief in Steve is wavering.

8. Charvo

Charvo Member

Steve Francis can be one of the league's premiere scorers as a shooting guard. I don't think the arguments that he can't guard other shooting guards doesn't fly with me. He has problems with quick point guards. He can guard the bigger guys like Baron Davis. Having Mobley come off the bench as the 1st option wouldn't be bad. I watched some of the Mavs-Wolves game too. Nash is a good passer with good shooting ability. He's not John Stockton, but he gets the job done. His teammates know they will get the ball if they get open. Steve Francis would benefit a lot from not having to pass the ball. His shooting percentage would increase. He'll have more energy on defense since he won't be handling the ball too much.

9. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Will this help some Rocket fans who are losing interest fast?

Dec. 18, 2003, 10:44PM

Regional Sports Network, Gaffney forging ahead
    By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Kevin Gaffney, who spent 23 years in sales, marketing and management at HBO and Turner Broadcasting System, has 22 months to prepare for the launch in October 2005 of the Astros' and Rockets' Houston Regional Sports Network.

Gaffney was introduced Thursday as the new network's president and chief executive officer. His presence provides the most concrete proof to date that there apparently is no going back for the Astros and Rockets in their break from Fox Sports Net.

"We are seriously committed to go forward," Gaffney said. "We want to put together a channel that is local, that the sports fans of Houston will love. We want to take the concept of Houston area sports, which was the original concept of the regional sports network, and focus on whatever is local, whether it is on the pro, college or high school level."

As senior vice president of Turner's eastern division, Gaffney was in charge of arranging distribution for Time Warner's domestic cable channels, including CNN, TBS and TNT. Before joining Turner, he spent 10 years at HBO in affiliate sales and marketing.

He comes to Houston well-recommended by Mark Lazarus, president of the Turner Entertainment Group.

"To bring in someone like Kevin, with his passion and understanding of sports and its value to viewers, marketers and cable operators, is really a smart by the ownership group," Lazarus said. "They're getting someone with a lot of experience, someone who has strong relationships in the cable operators' community."

Houston was one of the birthplaces of the regional sports network, with the creation 20 years ago of Home Sports Entertainment. The network signed on with a Rockets game in January 1983 and has broadcast Astros and Rockets games for most of the last two decades.

The Rockets, however, severed ties with FSN before the 2002-2003 season when the parties could not agree on a new contract.

The Astros, meanwhile, maintain they are allowed under their deal with FSN to exit after the 2005 season. The teams announced last year they would form their own network that will sign on with Rockets games in October 2005 and the Astros in 2006.

Fox Sports Net, however, says it has the Astros locked up through 2009. Depositions are under way in its lawsuit against the teams and the new network. A trial tentatively is set for April.

With the new network, the Rockets and Astros are following in the wake of NESN, which is owned by the Boston Red Sox and Bruins, and the YES Network, owned by the Yankees and Nets. In Chicago, the White Sox, Cubs, Blackhawks and Bulls said this month they will leave FSN and start their own regional sports network in association with Comcast.

"The owners have reevaluated their situation and decided to bring the networks in-house," Gaffney said. "Things change. There are a lot of sports channels being born. This may be the model of the future."

FSN had no comment on Thursday's announcement. Gaffney, meanwhile, met this week with Ron McMillan, who as president of Time Warner Cable's Houston division will play a critical role in the network's future. Both parties described the meeting as a general discussion about the Houston market and said serious discussion about carriage issues are well down the road.

Gaffney's next tasks include assembling a management team and exploring programming options for the Houston Regional Sports Network. (One thing he might consider is a catchier name.)

The plan, for those who remember the old HSE, sounds familiar. "The agenda is local sports," Gaffney said. "We want to talk to athletic directors and conferences and get into the content possibilities that we can use to construct this new house."

Oh, what a night

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2307129

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

a good point to this for those of you in CS or Beaumont....If I understadn this correctly.....

if not hopefully Tim will chime in with some insider info..

the Rockets will be dealing directly with the local stations in those areas to provide coverage...It will be their network, so I would think it would simplify negotiations.

but I could be wrong..

11. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Great. Now I'll never see a non-national game in Austin. Why can't they just settle their differences and go with Fox Sports? I know this city's a Spurs then Mavs then Rockets town, but it used to be hardcore Cowboys too. The Texans came in and made huge marketing pushes and were quite successful. The majority of the hundreds of thousands of college students here are from Houston, and they would like to see the Rockets too. Unfortunately, they get force-fed the other two Texas teams and see the lame ass Rockets struggling to make the playoffs and turn traitors.

I know this startup network will probably reach Austin eventually, but by the time it gets here their fanbase will be significantly destroyed. Austin isn't Houston, but it's still very much a home town for Rocket fans. Look around the board and you'll see there are more people from here than any other city outside of Houston. But screw it, maybe I should just become a Spurs fan after 22 years as a Rocket. That's what it seems the Rockets want me to do.

13. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

One more thing: The Astros still have a deal with FSN and that network will even rent out air time from one of the shopping channels in Austin so that they can broadcast Rangers and Astros games simultaneously. Screw the Astros for taking that away from us. I've paid them countless dollars over my years and I've done the same with the Rockets. There's a lot of people just like me here, including Clutch. I don't like being "sold out" over a small percentage of TV deal differences. The money those organizations would have missed out on by signing a contract with FSN is proportionate to the percentage I've taken out of my paychecks to see their games. Probably less of a respective percentage. I just don't feel that's right.

14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Member

Amen to that Dallas. I could care less what happens two and three years down the road. It doesn't mean they can't come to an agreement the show the games now. Seriously, do they really expect a loyal fan base when you can't even LISTEN to the games????

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He can guard the bigger guys? McGrady, Allen, Houston, Kobe, Maggette, Richardson, Spreewell, Redd, Mino, Finley, Carter, Rose, Miller, Pierce... Tell me which one of those guys you think he can guard. Baron Davis is big? Go back at check out how "BIG" he really is.

What you are really saying is... let Steve just concentrate on scoring. Forget any other responsiblities he should have on the court. Forget about defense, forget about leading, forget about running a team, forget about getting your team involved... I would take almost any starting two guard over Francis (If Francis is moved to the two guard) Francis is only worthy of the contract he was given if he becomes a "PREMIER" Point Guard!

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its funny,

I bet some of you guys thought this was a Francis bash thread, but in spite after learning it wasn't, decided to bash him anyway. You guys are priceless.

A thread about the Rockets avoiding its loyal fan base turned into Francis bashing.

17. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Well all I have is my time and my LP, both of which is costing me big time. This thread could not have been more appropriate. I am definitely losing interest fast. Nobody there know what they are doing and thanks to the luck of getting Ming, else this team would be in the pits. My interest level is at an all-time low.