1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni: "PJ Tucker is one of the best defenders I've ever seen."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 17, 2018.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can easily pick out the worst posters on ClutchFans by looking at their negative posts about Tuck.

BamBam, BMoney and Rocket River like this.
  2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

MDA better reword this cause Joe Johnson has like the best defensive BB IQ on the team. According to expert posters such as REEKO_HTOWN, Joe Johnson knows where to be defensively ALL THE TIME. He is like so good ya know. His great defensive, for whatever reason contributes a whopping net negative to the teams performance each night he plays. It's an anomaly considering he is playing this great defense against the opposing teams second unit. Everyone else and Gerald Green (another anomaly, he keeps being a net positive) needs to get on Joe Johnsons level. When JJ hears this from MDA he's going to get offended.

#22 Realjad, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  3. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Still can’t believe Murray traded Harrell for Chris Paul. He was our future

Os Trigonum and napalm06 like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If we could've somehow kept Harrell and got Austin Rivers instead...... oh well, we just have to make do.

bluffkin likes this.
  5. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

This just proves that MDA is not a 99'er.

I'm sure if he saw Dream play, he would be saying, "How is this possible! This guy is the best defender I've ever seen. He guards everybody. He guards them hard. With Dream, I can play two Steve Nashes, two Dirk Nowitzkis on the floor and we'd still be good defensively. This guy..it doesn't get better than Dream."

Swiss Roll likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

What has you so triggered?

7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Being a fan of players playing with heart. The team I root for would have never won it all if they didn't play with the heart of champions. Seeing a Joe Johnson come on to our team 3 quarters into the season and try so little, while having a player who has produced more and plays with passion benched triggers me. Ryan Anderson, for all his misgivings, and I'm using him as an example because I don't like his game, but haven't raged about it at least tries when he is on the court. Ryan can't help he is slow, he can't help a big part of his game is a mid paint fade away that doesn't work/get used in our offense. You can clearly see him putting in an honest effort when on the court. Joe is just coasting when he is in there.

The game has also passed him by. MDA needs to take a note from Pop. The Spurs had T-Mac, T-MAC, yet Pop had eyes, and knew even though he is T-MAC his role was the bench.

Zboy and Little Bit like this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

Eh still think it’s not that serious but hey you are entitled to your opinions

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a pretty fair description. Tuck and Luc anchor our defense. Two far different physiques, but two very similar results - damn good defense that we've needed for a long time. Toss in Chris Paul and the team's defense has been transformed from one season to another. It's rubbed off on everyone, Harden included. The change in our defense is the biggest surprise for me this season. I didn't doubt Harden and I thought CP3 was a brilliant "get" by Morey, who would fit with James very well. What I didn't expect was the collective impact of Paul, Luc, and Tucker. We aren't just an offensive juggernaut. The Rockets can play on both sides of the ball now, and it's going to take us where we want to go.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Shoutout to Mr. Thicc

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Austin Rivers this season is showing us he is on CP3s level

napalm06 and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Our ability to switch Harden, Gordon, Ariza, Tucker, Luc, can all guard 1-4 has made such a huge impact on defense. It’s also why Ryno and ISO Joe are so useless. Morey thought he needed a stretch 4 when actually he needed a 3 and D PF.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PJ "The Tank" Tucker! Built tough, and ready to take on the enemy.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Guys, PJ Tucker has got to be on "1st team All THICC". In fact, so THICC, there is only room for 1 player, tbh.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Anyone got the numbers?

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

PJ Tucker = Chuck Hayes with a shot!

That's not a bad thing at all.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, he wasn't around when Chuckwagon played.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Has anyone discussed the merits of this topic and how it qualifies for a unique discussion in the GARM?

20. csc177

csc177 Member

Putting forth the effort he does on defense has forced his jumper to take a slight hit. He makes the big 3s when we need it though