1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honey Badger to Sign with Texans!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by clutch citizen, Mar 16, 2018.

1. hakimthdream02

OMFGGGG i am soooo happyyyyy

macho GRANDE likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ed Reed says hi. And asks for his $50k

Nook likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

They better get on that backup QB

bloodwings19 and JamesC like this.
  4. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Rofl. 25 vs 50 years old...........

macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Thats every teams subreddit. Whats REALLY funny was watching the NFL sub when it happenned. Titans, jags and colts fans were ready to hang themselves.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...trades-signings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell

Friday, March 16

[​IMG]
    DB Tyrann Mathieu, Texans
    Grade: B-

The Texans needed to upgrade their secondary this offseason. Problem solved. After re-signing Johnathan Joseph and adding Aaron Colvin from Jacksonville, the Texans finished out their spending spree by adding Mathieu after he became a salary-cap casualty in Arizona. Mathieu's one-year deal comes in at $7 million, which is down toward the bottom of the top 10 on a one-year salary for free safeties.

At his peak in 2015, Mathieu was a ball-hawking force of nature, capable of shifting between free safety and serving as a slot cornerback from snap to snap. The former LSU star picked off five passes, made 11 tackles for loss and knocked away 17 passes in 14 games before suffering his second torn ACL in three years. Since then, Mathieu has suited up far more frequently like a pure free safety, and the production hasn't been there. Over 26 games during 2016-17, the Honey Badger recorded just two interceptions, nine tackles for loss and eight pass breakups.

Interceptions can be totally random from year to year, and I think there's plenty of upside in targeting a guy with Mathieu's football instincts, especially given that he's still just 25 years old. The Texans are already deep at corner with Colvin, Joseph, Kareem Jackson and Kevin Johnson, so Houston might very well just stick with Mathieu as a full-time safety and use him and Andre Hal as interchangeable players inside and outside the box.

The downside here for the Texans is that they didn't get any additional years on the end of the contract. If Mathieu recovers his form, the Texans will happily take his return to form, but Mathieu will be in line to pick up a big free-agent deal after the season. Houston might not have had the opportunity in negotiations, but this would be a better contract for the Texans if they had the option of keeping Mathieu around through 2019.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think they might move Kareem to full-time safety and play Matthieu more in the slot.

hakimthdream02 likes this.
  8. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

I bet if dallas or ny or ne signed him everyone would be on his nuts.. its ok typical response to a good texans pickup.

Chanmarr and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Does anybody know if we could franchise tag him if he as a great year, being it was only a 1yr contract?

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Please don't start that media bias nonsense. Most people love this deal. Of course there are injury questions but I will take a B- grade. Especially since it was just a one year deal. The response has been more positive than negative.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

by way of comparison, here is the walterfootball.com grade:

Texans sign S/CB Tyrann Mathieu (1 year, $7 million): A+ Grade

I am absolutely shocked right now. Stunned. And no, it has nothing to do with UMBC upsetting Virginia. I'm talking about this contract.

I don't understand how the Texans managed to steal Tyrann Mathieu for just one year and $7 million. He should have been offered multi-year contracts from various teams that included eight-figure annual salaries. Yet, Houston obtained him with just a 1-year "prove it" deal that is worth just as much as what the Jaguars are going to pay Donte Moncrief in 2018!

Mathieu is an extremely versatile, Pro Bowl-caliber defensive back. He can play anywhere in the secondary, and he's a turnover machine who will feast on defenses because of the great pressure that J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus will provide. Mathieu, as well as newly signed cornerback Aaron Colvin, will solidify Houston's defense, and with Deshaun Watson coming back with some experience, the Texans can be declared to be one of the favorites to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl.

This grade is a no-brainer A+, and if I had anything higher than an A+, I would give it that grade.

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz5A2MP916o

12. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Just like is non existant in the espn app and like 30 seconds in the nfl app..................

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The amount of the contract doesn't surprise me. He has always said he wanted to play with a potential contender and the money didn't matter as much. Now he is.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

It's interesting that there seems to be 2 basic kinds of Cardinal fans, those that feel injuries have robbed HB of his speed and that is that, and those that feel he can/will come back.

The thing that may bode well for us is that some of the latter point out that HB played much better in the 2nd half of last year, better than he has since the last injury.
    Which would be about a year and a half out from his acl.
    And a lot of times those injuries can take that long to fully recover from.

So I'll be hoping that he's just finally getting back to (close to) pre-injury shape.
    If he can get back to 85% of the dpoy-type play he had in 2015 he will be a giant addition to our D.
    He's sure confident enough to bet on himself with this one year prove-it-to-me deal.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

There's no reason there isn't more Honey Badger coverage on ESPN. It's not like anything else important happened yesterday.

Nimo likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

During March Madness and NBA playoff push? When I checked last night it was one of the top three stories on the web page. Is there another FA acquisition that is being displayed over this ?

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn’t sound familiar with our take on JJ?

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. Nothing like a first time in history or anything

19. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

You know the espn app shows more than 1 news item right?

Like kevin durants ribs, or lebrons soon to be decision.....

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Condolences. Career will go downhill from here.

conquistador#11 and Fulgore like this.