1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to trade Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pasox2, Dec 15, 2003.

1. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Francis (10.067; BYC) to WAS for Brevin Knight (5.0) + 1st

Cato (7.344) to IND for Scott Pollard (5.3) + Kenny Anderson (1.07)

MoTay (7.8) to TOR for Mo. Petersen (1.646) + Olajuwon (6.3269)

E.Griffin (2.31) + A. Ford (.512) + 6.99 TE to NYK for Kurt Thomas (5.394) + T. Knight (4.4)

Yao / Pollard / Amaechi
    Thomas / Padgett / Knight
    Mo. Pete / J. Jackson / A. Griffin
    Mobely / Pike / Nachbar
    K. Anderson / B. Knight / Moochie

2. DreamFranchise1

I've got it!

Francis and Mobley for Michael Redd and T.J. Ford.

Honestley people, this would be awesome for us. T.J. is the most unselfish point guard in the league and has loads of potential and Redd is one of the leagues best scorers and is still young. T.J. is from houston and the bucks would do it because francis and mobley are bigger names that ford and redd. SOmebosy please pass this on to as many people as possible! It would work

3. DreamFranchise1

Uh, I think we could manage someone a little better than brevan knight for francis. We are talking about the starting point guard on the allstar team two years running.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Ok, im not going to make a new thread because i hate trade threads and i hate rumors but this is what i read on benmaller.com

its only a RUMOR

Knicks GM Scott Layden is trying to move Kurt Thomas, Othella Harrington and Clarence Weatherspoon. The Knicks are in the market for a backup shooting guard. The Mavs' Tony Delk, Denver's Jon Barry and Toronto's Morris Peterson are all possibilities.

As a handful of people want us to be the New Houston Knicks, i thought this sounded interesting as we could use kurt at the 4 and even othella to talk to amaechi on the bench. is cat expendable, even though he's an A+ backup guard? yes, but hes been one of the solid (or least not-solid) players on our team, on the other hand, we would be getting some toughness up front. I wouldnt mind sweetney as hes a hard worker and hasnt been given the time to play, but im partial to hoyas anyway. Going to happen? no, but any more mind frux like the one last night and someone is going to have to go.

5. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Fine,

Francis (10.067; BYC) + Meech(2.61) + Boki(1.163) to WAS for Brevin Knight (5.0) + 1st + Kwame Brown (4.252)

Yao / Pollard
    Thomas / Brown / Knight
    Mo. Pete / J. Jackson / Padgett
    Mobely / Pike / A. Griffin
    K. Anderson / B. Knight / Moochie

No big whoop ;)

6. Absolut_RoxFan

Absolut_RoxFan Contributing Member

How about this: Adrian Griffin for Brevin Knight.

We get a PG, and we haven't been using A. Griffin anyway. Both players are of comparable value, so it's fair for both teams. Done.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Excellent thread. Nonetheless, my vote is to wait until next summer to see if we should shop Francis. Or at the earliest, at the February trade deadline, when you can get the best deal.

Next summer, Francis is no longer a BYC player, so we can take back 5-6 million more in salary. More salary hopefully means more talent. And still us the trade exception, to take back even more salary. With this probably being the last year of the luxury tax, maybe Les can "go Cuban" on us this summer. Getting more talent, even if it costs Les more, is our best hope for a future title.

The Rockets are not going to win the title this season, anyway. So give JVD a whole year with this cast, instead of a knee-jerk reaction. At a minimum, wait until February. Or until a situation develops that makes a team desperate to move a superstar, and get value in return. Indiana and Orlando are not there, yet.

Now as to Cato, if we can get a better than average PF in return (just because there might be a team desperate for a center), then I say pull the trigger whenever such an opportunity presents itself.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Much of the above is what they said about Marbury, and he fetched Jason Kidd. Francis would be a terror on a crappy team who needs a legit #1 scorer--he will make them much better and much more exciting. I think you are undestimting his value, we are talking about a 3 time (or soon to be) all-star who is one of the league fan favorites.

COUPLE OF OTHER POINTS.

I think we will trade Francis (I would), but don't mind waiting until the offseason for flexibility if the deal just isn't right. This is why I believe this, no hard feelings towards Francis, it is just...
    It would be great if we could land a disgruntled even greater talent like McGrady, Pierce or Oneal--but unlikely.

I would prefer a comparable talent, getting another 2nd tier star or promising player in return. That means like Brand, Rashard, Terry (plus more, maybe Francis and Cato/Mo for Terry and SAR?), or Ray Allen (plus some more from Seattle for either), or Butler (plus substantially more).

I don't like that Knicks deal. Kurt Thomas is old (about he same age as Brian Grant actually) and the rest just are not good. You need a lot more than that if you are going to trade Francis. Maybe with their 2nd round promising pick from last year, next year's #1 and another future unprotected #1 (06)--but such unknowns are not the best route to go for Francis IMO.

Get the best player that compliments Yao (Brand, Lewis, Pierce), don't worry about the PG spot right now if the best player available is elsewhere, we are not trying to win it all this year. We can trade or use our MLE to go for a solid complimentary PG next offseason. A comparable talent to Francis who can play the 3 or 4 and fits the mold of the team better is the ideal principal in any trade.

9. Charvo

Charvo Member

Keep in mind that Jason Kidd had to beat up his wife before the Suns would give up on him.

10. Desert Scar

That did not hurt his fan base much or Phx or elsewhere--it maily cuases friction within the organization, Phx fans by and large were pissed they traded Kidd.

Further, 29 or teams would have liked to Kidd wife beater or not, and the deal that dangled Marbury was the best offer.

Now if Tmac, Pierce or J Oneal can hit somebody (j/k). Or what about Kidd for Francis if the Kidd-NJ relationship keeps deteriorating as what happened in Phx.

11. aries323

aries323 Member

I just can't see Ainge giving us Pierce for Francis, or Bird giving us O'neal for Francis, or T-Mac. They are all better players, better leader, and make better plays than Francis.

All those guys are pipedreams IMHO.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Depends on the deal. Francis + Cato for O'Neal and Tinsley, for example. But O'Neal is BYC himself and Indiana's 3.5 mil trade exception doesn't quite cut it for O'Neal's contract which starts this year, I believe, at 13 million.

T-Mac might be a pipe dream, yes. But if Orlando believes he'd up and leave anyway; if Steve + Cato + Boki = T-Mac and Howard (although I'd try to find a third team to yield us more of a center in exchange for Howard).

I know it's useless to speculate. Here I am doing it anyway.

13. Milos

Milos Member

What about Kobe?

Don't look know, but he may be available very soon.

Wouldn't the Lakers love to bring in a star like Steve to replace him?

Just asking.

14. Desert Scar

What about K-mart plus a little more from the Nets end. I could see Francis playing the 2 to Kidd's 1.