1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to hold C D accountable for this mess !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MisterMister, Dec 17, 2003.

1. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

The sounds of silence....

Just quit again Jeff. Or go buy some more books....

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Codell, we are talking past each other,

I understand the Rockets aren't that talented. We both agree. JVG has improved the defense, that's what he does. But what bigger things is he pushing for on offense? The same type of offense he had in New York. The same type of offense that kept a team with Houston, Sprewell, and Ewing from scoring 90 points a night. You're talking like this guy has a track record of offensive genius when it is exactly the opposite.

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

He does have one of the best backcourts in the league. Did he forget that? All the books in the world will not allow you to get blood out of stone. How are the books going to increase the amount of possessions? Or increase the fast breaks?

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

PG,

I fully agree that JVG is hardly an offensive guru in the likes of Don Nelson, Tex Winter or Pete Carril. During the summer, I was quite suprised to see so many expect him to come in here and fix our offensive problems. Thats just not his specialty. Myself, and alot of others expected him to come in here, preach team defense and build our offense around Yao. But again, the problem is, Yao is still developing and is not the dominant low post player this team needs to consistantly be elite.

You can critique the grind it out NY offense that he ran with Ewing as in the inside presence but the fact it is, it was good enough to get NY to the finals on two occasions and get in the playoffs every year. Its not unheard of for teams to win with a grind it out, inside/outside offense and great D. Our offense doesnt have to be complicated. Take a look at SAs offense. They do alot of the things we do, but it works better for them because Duncan is much better than Yao right now. This is precisely why I am not excited about trades because in the end, the team that surrounds Yao can change every week, but until he can dominate the low post, then we will still struggle as a whole.

JVG is flat out depending on Yao to develop into what we hope he can become. Until then, we can only be patient with JVG and Yao.

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Not so. Many of us have already had it with JVG. I had it with him in NY and in the booth. He made it to the finals in a weak east conference. No big deal. We should not have hired him. This was a blunder. The result of having a new arena and big name players that needed a big name coach. When they couldn't get Brown or Silas they thought their only recourse was this moron.

The results are starting to show

6. codell

Rice,

1) Silas' team has the 2nd worst record in the league, playing in a weak conference. To insinuate that we would have been better off with him instead of JVG is a highly subjective conclusion. Hes dealing with the same problems we are. Getting a young, talented team to play together and win.

2) Brown didn't want to come here. He rejected us and took the Detroit job before we could make him an offer. Who knows?? Maybe Les and CD DID prefer him over JVG. Well probably never know.

I get the impression that after 24 games, you are convinced that this team can't win with JVG.

Myself, Im willing to wait another year or so. JVG deserves that much time to get the team to buy into what he preaches, not to mention that Yao will hopefully keep developing during that time.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

ya know ricerocket...no offense intended, but I thnk we get what your point is.
    You have only repeated it a few million times.
    Dont you get tired of typing it?

ivanyy....

Yao started out the game in single coverage, and remained that way for most of the game.
    He couldnt hit. period.
    no one else's fault...he COULD NOT HIT HIS SHOTS.

allow your god to be human for once and accept that he isnt perfect and it is noone's fault but his own.

uh-oh...Im about to get the famous Yao-hater label for that one ;)[size]

8. DearRock

The things with JVG is that he seem to be uncompromising and more of a black or white person. Who or what gave him the idea that he can rely on Ming so much? If Codell is willing to wait a year, I cannot see how JVG could be so invested into it this year. There is major risks involved leaning on something that is not strong enough. There is the risk of losing the whole team including Ming himself.

Now that it is evident that Ming is not strong enough, where is the plan b? I would have thought that developing fast break and early offense expertise, which is currently non-existent, were just as crucial as Ming and his potential dominance. It should be noted that the Kings are happy to be riding the "jump shot/face the basket dominance of Brad Miller" but we are working overtime to turn Ming into Shaq. Please, JVG, try now to see if you can at least get him to dominate using what we know he can do: jump shots, a few low post moves and his passing skills.

Denver has a longer rotation with no player playing more that 35 mins and no Ming in the middle. Under JVG's watch the team has become less athletic. That was part of a plan?

You do not have to be the second coming of an offensive guru to make this team score more points. At least 15 less talented teams in the league are doing it.

9. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Maybe it's time to start MoT at the beginning of the game to free up more offensive opportunities for everyone. The pendulum needs to swing away from defense somewhat. At least those open 15 footers that Cato had would be in MoT's hands.

We need to put the ball in JJ's hands as the "non point guard" at the top of the key. Let SF and Cat run around. SF should play more of a AI type game in that sense....

10. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Do you think you are a Yao's hater?

His line against the Wolves: 4-7 FG, 2-2 FT, 2 reb, 1 TO.

Your problem has more to do with bad eye-sight than anything else! :)

Yao's problem was, after he missed the 1st 2 shots, he shied away from the ball, did not post enough and could not catch the ball. He did not miss many shots once he got them.

11. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

After 04/05 season there won't be luxury tax no more. We'll see what type of owner Les is then...

12. We're Back

We're Back Member

I have been saying for YEARS that CD is incompetent. It is sad but true, we are the blind leading the blind...

13. codell

DR,

How can you not wait for Yao??? If Yao only becomes as good as Rik Smiths, then it doesnt matter who the coach is because Steve and Cat just arent the type of elite caliber players that can lead us to championship contention. I don't want to be an also-ran, I want to win titles. If Yao will never be strong enough, then this team is not a title contender no matter how well Steve, Cat or any other traded for player (unless its an elite player), play.

Furthermore, I agree that Yao isnt strong enough. For now. He might very well be later on. Thats where patience comes in. I don't think JVG is trying to turn Yao into Shaq, but rather, turn Yao into a Shaq like dominant presence that offsets his teamates shortcomings and allows them to become better players.

You mention the Kings, and thats all fine and good, but as with Webber and Divac playing in the same role that Miller does, they are perennial also-rans.

Do you want to just make the playoffs and be good enough to compete, but not win it all, or struggle for a few years, but eventually have it pay off and win a title???

BTW, find one title winner that had their best player(s) playing less than 35 mins. Without looking, I am quite sure there aren't many, if any. This team can't win with yao playing only 30 mins a game, and thats why we see JVG playing Yao 35+ this year (37+ in Dec), including whole quarters (2nd and 4th).

14. DearRock

Codell, I love a lot of things about Ming but it does not excuse JVG's method. There are other ways to make him more effective now while moving toward getting to be dominant. If the only fault he had was to over-rely on Ming, I would be able excuse him but he has done quite a few other things that just do not add up. Why shorten the rotation? Why not commit to the fast break and early offense too? Like someone said there is no evidence that he knows what he is doing offensively. He has to be very careful, this thing can blow anytime and lenthen the Ming gestation period.

15. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I have read a lot of intresting posts in this thread...But, can anyone tell me what the hell happened to the Francis to Cato alley-oop? And why cant we run a freaking fast break any more. No one knows how to throw any touch down passes and no one is trying to get down court to catch one either. Who has made this team like that. They are overwhelmed with JVG's new system and are trying to accomplish the things he is brain washing them with and are not letting the game come to them...I hear Calvin Murphey saying that all the time. When it was rudy ball the guys seemed to be having fun. Now, well they all look frustrated and to be honest with you Yao may be the most frustrated right now. We all need to realize that JVG is not going anywhere he is going to let the guys frustrate themselves and ask to be traded. I'm sorry to say this but I belive Cuttino is going to be the first one to request this...I hope i'm wrong because he is definately getting the short end of the stick right now.

16. franchise?..NOT

This team has never been a fast break team under Francis. NEVER. I am not necessarily defending VG BUT, until SF can execute a simple pick and roll or actually make a simple pass to the post or show any aptitude for executing the simplest of basketball skills other than what is learned on a playground then all this stuff about VG's not having a clue on offense is kind of moot.

17. SLA

SLA Member

Wow..some of y'all are really pissed. I have been disappointed about the past 3 games..pretty sad getting embarrassed and humiliated. But y'all are hating...why don't you just support the Lakers or Kings? I do agree that CD isn't that great..but it isn't a mess...just hasn't worked out very well. Eddie Griffin just tragic. :p I hope he does something though...He is sort of incompetent...but I think he is just being patient right now. Maybe he is exploring all the options...and scenarios. What can we do now?!?! Break our team up? We're just not as good as some of the teams. 13-10 is okay. PATIENCE! But if we lose against the Cavs tonight..

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Rockets fastbreaked pretty well with Posey. The problem with the fast break isn't just Francis, its his options of finishers.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

SF and Mobes have never been ones to run a fast break or even early offense. The stretches when they do is the abberation. JVG should be on them for that, but it's not his fault alone. Kind of hard to break their habits after 4+ years.

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

They did. Why can't that happen once in a while now? I saw 1 fast break early with Steve and Cat. That was good. Then it all started breaking down.