1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG's offense simply sucks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by reptilexcq, Dec 13, 2003.

1. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Last time I checked, Dog Fart, the team that scores more still wins.

That great defense of yours had us down 25 real quick. Good defense though, still one of the better ones in the league.

Your hero's response:

2. DreamFranchise1

Hey Rice Cooker,

Here's an idea, have a point. Your only response is that we lost. Teams with good d lose. You keep sinking yourself with every post. Stop being so bush-league,

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If only we could take the passion and intensity shown by Dog Fart and Rice Cooker, bottle it, and feed it to Yao. ;)

4. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Here's my part for that bottle.... ;)

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

JVG is going to disprove the old cliche that defense wins championships.

You can't win championships if your offense can't score the 80 pts it takes to win a bame in the NBA this year.

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

After the T-Wolves game I was thinking the same thing myself.

Our much vaunted defense still gets shredded by the better offensive teams in the league, both the Mavs and the Kings have scored over a hundred against us and Cassell and Garnett in the 2nd half were scoring against us at will.

7. wfchan

wfchan Member

"I never saw him (Lebron) play one possession of high school summer league or anything," Van Gundy said. "But I love his demeanor, and I love the way he plays the game. He plays with no frustration. If he's open, he shoots. If he's guarded, he passes. I know that seems rudimentary. The decision-making sets him apart. He just gets it.

"It's really an incredible story. It bodes well that you don't have to be like that football player (Joe Horn) pulling out that cell phone to announce his accomplishment. You think about what LeBron James could be like and then what he is like, it's great. That's why your best players are so important on your team because in the end, you're only going to be as good as your best players, your unselfishness, whatever it is."

Isn't it obvious who JVG is alluding to in his remarks?!
    His Christmas wish is to trade Steve for Lebron!!!

By the way, happy holidays!

8. ggore

ggore Member

My preference would be to keep Francis and Yao - then trade the rest of the team for one more stud player - like Ray Allen/Lewis/Oneal/TMac/Kenyon/Kidd/Amare or even a second tier guy that plays defense and a draft pick with potential - darko/artest+#1s/nene/etc.

But if trading Francis is the only way:

Ray Allen would be a PERFECT complement to Yao - and it is a very fair deal. If we could add Cuttino and someone else to get Rashard in the package, that would be golden.

Maybe for Artest+Harrington+#1

For Elton Brand - fair deal straight up. Better deal if we can get one of their PGs for Mo or someone else.

The entire team, except Yao, for Kobe. LA still will not do this deal.

For Chandler and Crawford(or J.Williams). Noone would drive on Chandler and Yao.

For Marion (I would give the entire team, except yao, if we could get stoudamire). A Francis/Marbury backcourt would be fun to watch.

9. Kiki

Kiki Member

I don't know why any team would want the underachieving, big salary havin', bad shot takin', .001 assist/TO ratio havin', I don't have to do what the coach says "Franchise". If we were desperate enough, we could probably get Arroyo and a white stiff to be named later from Utard.

I have been soooo dissappointed with the lack of improvement Steve has shown over the last couple years. I thought he would grow out of the "amazing raw talent, but makes lots of mistakes" phase with more experience, but I see the same thing night after night. Memo to Steve: "You can't drive straight into a 2-3 zone"

-depressed Rox fan :(

10. mad4snk

mad4snk Member

Three words "Pick and Role", It's so simple and it works just ask Utah. This team is just bad and no one trusts each other out there.:eek:

11. Juugie

Juugie Member

And the pick and ROLL ain't bad either. ;)

12. Kiki

Kiki Member

Steve's on pace for another near 300 TO season. :eek:

11 more seasons like this and he'll catch Karl Malone for "Most TO's in NBA History"! :eek:

13. FadeAway_Dreams

Hey, I'm stuck in Wisconsin and can't afford any type of league pass for my satellite access so I don't get to see many games at all. That doesn't stop me from being a supportive Rockets fan. And um,... because of this I really don't know the things you are pointing out. :confused: People like me are the ones that could really use an explanation instead of telling each other to prove it and then not giving any information to support your points. So, get a move on and give me some in depth info!! :p

14. Kiki

Kiki Member

maybe we can bring back Kinard Winchester and Dave Jamerson! :D

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd trade Moochie for Maloney.

16. Charvo

Charvo Member

I'd take Kenny Smith right out of the TNT studios right now instead of Moochie.

17. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Van Gundy's offense makes me wonder why Rudy stepped down because minus the 2 championships that Dream got...they both are overrated.

18. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

One indication of how things are going:

-Cato is starting to take the wide open shots he's being offered.

This is not a good thing.

19. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I never meant to question the fans who don't get to watch the Rockets much, only RR who run his mouth about things he doesn't know. He asserted that JVG had not put in any new defense and that is the furthest thing from the truth.

The most obvious new defense Jeff put in was against Toronto and Phil. We doubled team Carter and Iverson everytime they touched the ball even if they were 25, 30 ft out and rotated to cover the other 4. This was easy to see for anyone who watched the game.
    We held Carter to 4-20 FG, 9TOs in 50 minutes. That is among the lowest FGA and FGM per minute this yr for Vince. He did shoot lots of FT but that was the nature of the Rockets. We foul too much.

We held Iverson to 4-19FG, 5 TOs. (we held Allen to bad games in the past too but with diff. defense. We used to play up on him and colapsed on drives, not when he was outside)

Rudy, in his 10 yrs, rarely ever doubled team anyone. Sometimes he doubled the post but never an outside player, not Carter, Iverson, not even Jordan.

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

FYI, we also ran a zone defense when Yao was out several times in the past several games. And that great D against Carter resulted in a ...... loss. What's new about doubling someone? I didn't see two guys chasing Carter or AI ALL GAME.

The defense isn't the problem. The things really different with the D are 1) Cato and JJ start for us now, 2) we had Yao from day 1, and Yao is more adjusted to the NBA, 3) SF picks up beyond halfcourt taking a little time off the 24 for the otherv team, 4) they do play with more defensive intensity (which will happen when you have two defensive minded players in the mix over last year), and 5) they play a pretty good zone when Cato moves to center and MoT comes in at PF.