1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: "Houston has a top 3 worst crowd"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Is Simmons right?

1. Yes

387 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Media conspiracy

24 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. HTM

HTM Member

Some people.. jeez.

Launching an HBO show isn't a small deal... it was pretty substantial endeavor.... it obviously failed and failed very quickly... His show sucked and for someone who was pretty highly regarded in the sports journalism field.. it was pretty embarrassing for that to happen to him.

But yea, you're right... totally not a failure and totally not embarrassing... :rolleyes:

How successful he is otherwise is not relevant... all I pointed out was his failure in this endeavor... I didn't say anything else or say he wasn't a big deal in the world of sports media.. straw man.

Houstunna likes this.
  2. s3ts

s3ts Member

Sounds like you're kind of hoping for bandwagon fans in that post.

I really hate bandwagon fans. I don't think your team needs to win championships in order for you to have interest.

You're not really passionate about anything if winning is a prerequisite for your fandom.

Reeko and Houstunna like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Him failing in that one specific venue, and you claiming it was his biggest embarrassment, is more of a straw man than anything.

You obviously have no clue the reach his media network, created from scratch, entails. You also obviously don’t know what the full scope of his HBO deal involves (he’s got a huge role in their top notch documentaries)

Plenty of the most influential in media don’t make it on the simple television or jock radio venue.

I also thought the way he was fired from ESPN was far more of an embarrassment, but he obviously landed on his feet.

#303 Nick, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not at all.

I know the Houston sports fan, And that’s why they’re not as into the Rockets right now.

CP did a good podcast on this exact topic.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

The red rowdies seemed to work for a few weeks then it just dies like a whisper. But you could actually hear them for a few weeks and it gave off a slight college vibe. Shame.

6. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

How about tonight's game? Looks like crowd stand on their feet and applauded loud thanks to James Harden's historic night.

Much better tonight.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Has the homie, @Mr.Scarface, been banned from this forum ??

Thread is almost 2 weeks old.. yet, he's said nothing.

HOWEVER... he had plenty to say when I said similar.

8. Drogba

Drogba Member

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

"Very quiet crowd here for a team with the chance to win a Championship" 3:33

9. Nivos

Nivos Member

Just changed my vote.
    Ive been down on the TC turnaround for years now.
    Yesterday it was the crowd that won us the game against the Celtics.
    That's what were talking about when fighting for home court advantage.
    Whomever was there, great job guys. Couldnt be more proud to be a Rockets fan yesterday.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cbs1507, Nivos and Rockets Rule like this.
  11. fattz

fattz Member

It’s all Bill, Bull & Clyde’s fault for being so good. Most just want them over the real thing.

The problem is the seats are already sold to corporate people that need to pass down the season ticket seats to others if they are not going to make the game. The sales and marketing teams have done to good of a job (most likely in foreign markets). Playoffs the seat get redistributed don’t they? Making the area available to people that are able to go to the game.

How to fix it => 4th quarter open seating when there is a sell out. Not all in attendance would move but the holes disappear and noise level goes off the charts. I “believe” (remaining back my sign with a smile) Houston LOVES our Rockets.

#311 fattz, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I like how Mr.Fertitta has made it a new tradition for the fans to stand the last 2 minutes of every half every game.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

the crowd was good last night, it’s too bad that last night’s crowd is the exception and not the norm

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

The fact that rockets local tv ratings are down 20% this year goes to show the total lack of indifference this city has towards the rockets/basketball. It's pathetic.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think you can call indifferent fans 'worst fans'. They are just not getting excited.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Yesterday was a great crowd, but showing up just for high profile games is why Bill Simmons is 100% correct.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Can guarantee if they win a championship that’ll change. Just look at the Astros...the amount of people sporting championship gear, going to the parade, etc. just because it’s the “cool thing to do”.

HTX Ninja likes this.
  18. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Game 6 singlehandedly turned half of the city away from the rockets, its hard to believe how many times I've heard "I don't care if we have the best record, we both know Harden will choke it away like he always does."

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

It's really bad, embarrassing really.

20. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Winning a championship will change the fan turn out of course