1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LEGENDARY Kelvin Cato $42 million preseason game...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fromobile, Feb 26, 2018.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I can't believe we started him at PF with Yao that one year. That's like the opposite of this year's Rockets in terms of spacing. Yuck.

BigggReddd likes this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

Lol. The current Rockets team plays a similiar style now with tons of ISO ball. The only difference is Harden & Paul are better. Same thing different era. As a Rocket fan I enjoyed that era given the Rockets were young & rebuilding from the Hakeem era. Cato was grossly overpaid but so was Mo Taylor & just about every free agent we signed

D-rock likes this.
  3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

he kinda pulled some bismack biyambo moves like before he got that big pay day lol. Thing is not many good hustle scrapy rebounders with muscle around near 7'0, and thats why they all get over payed. If cato was in this market it be like biyambo for him as well.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was at that game. Half court. 11th row. It was unbelievable. Fans were chanting his name by the end of the game if I recall.

fromobile likes this.
  5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

That team was crappy. I mean they were saying all this stuff about building the new toyota center, and building around tStevie Franchise. I knew they were going to trade him. He was like a poor mans isiah thomas JR on some nights and with, cato, mobley , walt willams were alright but that team was like the nuggets back when they stuck around 32 wins a year.

I mean they blow leads like it nothing, and moochie norris would turn the ball over like he didnt care about even winning. No hate on the old schoolers cause we all had to watch that mess. That tmac trade thou was amazing.. That and getting the #1 pick to draft yao. =) Lot of people thought we have the next kobe/shaq combo haha. /end thread

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I always like to think of it as a reward for helping get rid of Pippen.

That triple double was in 31 minutes. Lol. Kelvin Cato? Damn. Anybody remember when he said he would lead the league in rebounding? :D

RasaqBoi and Patience like this.
  7. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

Will do! And Yes he's still up the Bay Area... I think he likes baseball too much now.

SamCassell, Scarface and heypartner like this.
  8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Given that Yao could space the floor but was too slow to rebound outside his immediate reach, it was a good pairing.

When we traded for Tracy, losing Cato in the trade was the biggest impact to the team. His contract was no longer bad and he served a needed purpose in resting Yao and playing occasional PF beside him.

I spoke with JVG about this and while Cato was infamous for being more interested in weed than the game, JVG likes what he brought to the team.

To be clear, I’m not saying Cato was the best outgoing player in the trade- that was cuttino by a long shot (final studogg shot at Francis... or is it)

9. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Tell him Scarface said hello. I met him at a Rockets/Warriors game in Oakland and he brought Chuckie Brown brownies and had a whole section of fellow CBFC members...

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Hey fro, I think we met at the very first clutchfans (clutchcity.net?) meetup in Austin. Like 99, 2000? Is your bro an Astros fan? As a fellow Houston transplant in the bay area, I was pleased when I went to an Astros game at O.co last year and there were a good number of Astro jerseys in the stands.

fromobile likes this.
  11. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

The people in the Bay Area are a little nervous whether GS can just flip the switch for the playoffs but expect that they will. They are worried about the Rockets if Houston has home court advantage. They despise Harden.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sounds awesome. I met him (and his dad/mom) when I went to see his band Banana Blender Surprise show. He has quite a stage presence. I think I saw them, twice. @Batman Jones went to one, too, as I recall.

btw: I think CBFC might have been the first poster to initial his posts.

13. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Real basketball heads over here are not quite scared but definitely worried about the Rockets and to a lesser extent about the Thunder. Talk radio here is 40% Warriors/ 30% Football/ 15% Baseball/ 15% Rockets. The average fans are oblivious to any other team. They also have an unhealthy obsession/hatred towards Lebron.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Stromile Swift and Kelvin Cato Dunkers but not much Iq defensively, no hook shot, no jump shot. Supposed to be Clint Capela. Clint is developing a 3 point shot, a hook shot, developed a eurostep, added counter layup Hakeem moves, dropstep hook shot.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

"taquito no potato, my burger got tomato, you know i eat a lot, like my name is kelvin cato"

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Great synopsis, big nostalgia.

People were right about the Kobe/Shaq combo. One of the best combos in the NBA in the last 20 years, but we surrounded them with complete trash/negative impact players, until too late. Thank goodness for Morey.

17. fromobile

Awesome!

18. fromobile

Hey buddy! I think he is an Astros fan, but I I'm pretty sure his family are solid Giants fans as well.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I thought Cato was going to be a beast.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm probably wrong, but I always thought Cato was the best PF compliment to Yao that he ever had. I still like the guy even though I didn't love the contract.