1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

no good passing point guard means bad offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Charvo, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Charvo

Charvo Member

Once again the concept of basketball being played without a passing point guard is getting shown to be a failure every single night. Only teams with monsters like Hakeem, Shaq, and Duncan can make do without a good passing point guard. How many more games in which 90% of the offense is isolations and one-on-one before the management realizes that a John Stockton type guard is needed for this team to get easier shots? This offense is an illustration of chaos.

2. tolbertmc

tolbertmc Contributing Member

And the tallest and worthless center in the NBA is not helping the matters!!!

3. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Who are you tolbert? why you such a hata? not that I disagree with you...

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Those don't just grown on trees, you know. All the trades in recent threads about bringing in Ward, Tinsley, Jaric, etc. wouldn't get us a John Stockton-type point guard.

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

Yao is playing bad. There's no doubt about it. However, it doesn't take away from the fundamental issue facing this team. This team has no good passing point guard.

6. tolbertmc

Trust me, I'm not hater! I frequent this board everyday, several times a day and very seldom post. I just can't hold back anymore. I guess I'm just mad. I'm sick and tired of seeing the same ole crap every game. Let's blame the whole team because this is a team sport. Everyone needs to step up...but after every game it's either SF, CM, MT, Cato, Moochie etc, but not YAO. I think he needs to be blamed also.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not a hata, but definitely an exaggerata: "...the tallest and worthless center in the NBA....'

8. SLA

SLA Member

yep shawn bradley and john amaechi

9. tolbertmc

Why are you so defensive?

10. Charvo

Charvo Member

I don't blame Steve Francis. He's doing what he can do, and that is to shoot the ball. He even admitted that he would move to the SG spot if it would help the team. However, I think the team didn't want to do it. I think Steve Francis would be a great shooting guard, but he has to think about passing. I don't want Steve to think. I don't want Yao to think. Thinking creates uncertainty. They should be getting the ball and immediately firing off a shot. Go get a tape of the Rockets games against the Jazz this year. You'll what I'm talking about why this team needs a passing point guard.

11. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

"My guards are criticized when they are not passing the ball and they are still criticized when they do pass the ball!" - JVG

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The whole team seems to not be moving out there....they are all standing around....where is all the cutting and motion?

DD

13. Charvo

Charvo Member

Try Yao as a really tall pocket passer at the free throw line. He can play QB for awhile and have Steve and Cuttino be the wide receivers. He can shoot the midrange jumper, so the center guarding Yao can't just cheat back into the paint to defend against slashers into the paint. This might revive Steve's career with the Rockets, and it might create a whole new role for Yao which will distinguish him from the other centers in the league. Vlade may have done this already, but I haven't watched enough Kings games. As entertaining as the Rockets have been on offense, I'd be willing to try something new. Jeff Van Gundy needs to trash his one sheet playbook and create a whole new one.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Charvo.....exactly.

The Spurs are using Nesterovich that way..he screens for Parker and rolls to about 18 feet at the elboy....Yao can shoot that shot too...

DD

15. Charvo

Charvo Member

I think one day Jeff Van Gundy might not show up to the game. He'll be calling the Rockets from his room in the insane asylum.

16. Charvo

Charvo Member

Yao's range is much better than a lot of centers in the league. The fact that Van Gundy doesn't utilize it more often makes me think Van Gundy is not as smart a coach as everyone thinks he is. Yao only shot an outside jumper tonight because the clock was running down. He made it.

17. ckfol

ckfol Member

It's not the players, it's JVG. Get the clue, Cato as a power forward will never cut it in the West. Guarding Garnett, are u kidding me? Garnett was like a free safety, taking away everything in the middle. JVG serious need a coaching lesson from Don Nelson on how to create mismatches on offense.

18. egn

egn Member

Like i've said before, JVG's offense may not be a thing of beauty, but what the hell does it matter to bring in something more creative if the players cannot even execute the simplist of tasks.

The bottom line is that the players can't get it done. The majority of Houston can see that Francis needs to be traded. And the ultimate result is the lack of fan support showing up for the games.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

And that's according to what source? Your intuition? I'm not sure you could even get the majority of people here on cc.net to agree with you on that.

20. egn

egn Member

He can't turn water into wine. What's he (JVG) to do?? Is he to put MoT on Garnett, so that Kevin scores and pulls down a multitude of rebounds? At least Cato may be able to muscle his way into getting some of the rebounds. Either way you look at it you lose, but the same goes for most teams playing against the T-wolves. And you also have to remember that VG is playing with a dealt hand.