1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

thanks for the info

I’m gonna look for some classes and hope to be able to do my 1st yoga session soon

VooDooPope and theimpossibles1 like this.
  2. theimpossibles1

I find these personal type of stories are the most motivational and inspirational. So many people want to get healthy/exercise etc but feel it is too much of a new responsibility or time strain.

While you have been able to really get invested into yoga and have benefitted so much for it, some people find this kind of investment intimidating.

What I always tell people is JUST DEVELOP A ROUTINE. It could be something as simple as walking 5 mins a day. The key is to get into a ROUTINE. That is what makes the shift mentally. Once the mentality is formed, the physical side is automatic and easy.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Cool. Reach out if you have any questions (want an opinion on a studio by your house or a class you consider taking etc). One thing yoga has taught me is Change is inevitable, progress is intentional. You can effect the change you want/need. Good luck.

Reeko and theimpossibles1 like this.
  4. theimpossibles1

Oh you will. Like voodoo pope says, there are unlimited levels, from the most basic beginner to extremely advanced. So getting a session done simply requires showing up and putting an effort (of your own choosing) in.

I will warn you, the feeling can be addicting. Don't push yourself too hard in early sessions, the real payoff comes from long periods of activity over time, not so much the intensity of individual sessions.

VooDooPope and Reeko like this.
  5. hvic

hvic Member

has anyone tried myprotein before? any recommendations on flavor?

6. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

idk what myprotein is...I'm guessing a shake/supplement. But you should look into how much protein you actually need. The g/lb of bodyweight thing is bunk. Some examples of what you might need are like .8g/lb of lean body mass or 1g/kg of lean body mass (this makes the most sense to me). A lot of people who work out overestimate their protein needs.

idk if you are overestimating, just trying to help out. I was looking into buying some protein powder and fell down an internet rabbit hole of looking into this.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I used the foam roller for about 25 minutes this morning...that was some painful sh*t

my body felt better after my workout/hooping than it had in a long time tho

el gnomo likes this.
  8. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I've been doing ketosis for 3 weeks now and the results have been astonishing. I've already dropped 15 pounds and a lot of body fat. I feel healthy but do get tired easily without the carbs. I've read it's an adjustment your body makes Anyone else tried / done this?

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Before I started foam rolling, there were times it took 5min to get out of bed to take a leak. After a few days of rolling, it didn't happen anymore. Keep using it and it should keep getting better.

Reeko likes this.
  10. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Chocolate/Coffee flavors are the only good ones. Chocolate Smooth seems to be the most popular (It's #2 for me, behind Mocha)

I generally just stick with the unflavored stuff and use it in shakes with fruit for flavor.

hvic likes this.
  11. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Foam rolling is the truth

12. hvic

hvic Member

Since my meniscus and patella tendon tear I have to foam roll twice a day because of my rehab

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How much you squat?

14. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

I lost over 60 pounds over the course a few years and now I walk around at 6'3, 175 lbs. I'm a pretty thin guy. At this weight, I tried keto. I got down to 168 lbs and could actually see my abs, which was cool.

But every time I'd go to play pickup ball, I'd feel like dying after one game. I gave up after about 2 weeks. I probably should have stuck with it. But I feel like I only have so many years of playing basketball left, I was too scared to waste a few weeks. I'd highly recommend it if you don't do crazy hard workouts/sports or you can wait it out.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Cute dog

hvic likes this.
  16. hvic

hvic Member

right now Im only squatting my body weight

theimpossibles1 and Exiled like this.
  17. ths balla

ths balla Member

sorry if this has been mentioned...any foam roller recommendations?

18. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

DUDE I know - I feel like death after one game. Can make it through two if I just stand around half the time to catch my breath, but no more. Will keep it up for another month before I decide on what to do next. Will probably transition towards a diet with carbs but will balance it depending on if it's a workout day or not.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

anyone tried these dna saliva tests where they tell you what and (more importantly) what not to eat? my gym offers this, but not sure how legit it would be...

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lately I've just been punching the bag and playing some ball.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.