1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School nixes play about drugs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Garden Valley Collegiate: http://gvc.gvsd.mb.ca/

http://winnipeg.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=mb_play20031215

School nixes play about drugs

WINNIPEG - Some students at Garden Valley Collegiate in Winkler are disappointed a play they hoped to put on in the New Year is getting the thumbs down. The school's drama department planned to put on the play Go Ask Alice, based on book about a teen who uses drugs and eventually dies of an overdose.

However, some parents in the community objected to the play. In the end, the principal decided that the project would be dropped. Jocelyn Unrau, a Grade 12 student at Garden Valley Collegiate, wrote an article for the school newspaper expressing her disappointment over the decision. "I heard a lot of concerns were [about] the fact some people in the community would not be able to separate the actor from the role he or she was playing. A lot of parents were concerned about their kids playing a role where their child had to actually act as if their kids were on drugs – they were uncomfortable with that fact," says Unrau.

"I can understand the parents would be uncomfortable seeing that because it would be a harsh thing to deal with, but, I mean, separating the role from the actor doesn't take a genius, really." Unrau says parents have to realize drug abuse is a real issue among teens; she says the issue could be better deal with in the open, such as through discussion generated by the play. Neither the principal of the school nor the superintendent of the division would comment on the decision to drop the play.

2. GladiatoRowdy

Because NOT talking about a topic is the best way to deal with it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

It's amazing how terrified some people are of letting others make up their own minds.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I've always thought the best way for drug prevention is to lock a bunch of 11 year olds in a room and make them watch requiem for a dream in all its glory.

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Maybe the parents are all pro-drugs since they object to putting on a play with an anti-drug message. Knowing how poorly written and stupid the book 'Go Ask Alice' is, I would object to the play on taste grounds rather than content.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

They should have adapted RFAD, minus the double dildo scene at the end of course.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But that was the best part. When will you ever see an Oscar winner sharing a dildo again???

:D

8. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

re: RFAD, I was sort of dumbstruck that made it into a movie released in America. Usually they give us gore but no sex. I had to watch that several times to make sure that was what I saw... :)

9. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

No kidding. That movie is freaking ROUGH.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

fa sho.

RFAD has got to be one of the most depressing films ever made. by the end of that flick, you feel like crap.

11. GladiatoRowdy

Wonderful. ANOTHER movie to Netflix.