1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady, Steve Francis, Ralph Sampson, Tina Thompson, Steve Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets1995, Feb 17, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Tina Thompson and Steve Patterson with Father Ray Patterson, banners

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Only retire 99ers.

htwnbandit likes this.
  4. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Real talk Tracy should have his jersey retired by the Magic. Some good memories with him but nothing worth retiring here imo.

I’m okay with Franchise.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

redundant breh. 99ers are champions.

6. josh_is_white

josh_is_white Member

Doesn’t mean ****...let’s retire every time a player gets inducted that’s just dumb. I’m not knocking what mcgrady did for Houston. But retired jersey? Nah I’ll pass

7. Buck Turgidson

Hakeem
    Moses
    Elvin
    Calvin
    Rudy
    Clyde
    Yao
    Harden

That's it for the foreseeable future.

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

Did you guys forget about the X-Factor!
    [​IMG]

Snow Villiers likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

They could retire jersey with #0 in honor of McGrady.

0 playoff series won.

CometsWin likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the same number as penny who if he didn’t get hurt would be a perennial all star

And he did more than tmac as a magic

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tmac is in the HOF but my problem is his tenure as a Rocket is too short, only 6 years, right?

You can make a case for it but he also spent significant time in Toronto and Orlando so I dont think he should be retired as a Rocket.

12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

What am I missing?
    Cynthia Cooper was the Jordan of WNBA era. Why are talking about Tina going first?
    Yeah, I know she played fewer years in the Comets, but that’s because she is older, therefore retiring first.

fattz likes this.
  13. DJ

DJ Member

Barkley was definitely past his prime as a Rocket but I'm not so sure that Francis was a much better Rocket. In his final NBA years, Barkley played a vital role in getting the Rockets to the playoffs and performed well there. His playoff performance in 1997 was spectacular. He also had a good run in 1998 and 1999 playoffs

14. fattz

fattz Member

All 4 are worthy. IDK were they would fit into the Rockets organization (now) but they were the key players for maybe one of the best basketball teams ever. They were a true dynasty, and Houston needs a place to honor them.

Ralph and Elvin are the only others IMO.

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

None on this list, but If I'm forced to make one, TMac would be last on the list. I would recommend having the jersey ceremony at TMac's personal doctor's office. TMac would agree, he prefer his doctor to Rockets'.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Unless he was dealing with depression and anxiety and crumbling under the pressure. Then it would be perfectly rational for a man to do anything to try to escape.

I don’t think any of us hate TMac the man. We were there every day in 2008-2009, watching our team pour its heart out on the field, watching TMac enter the season finally with a comparable amount of talent around him as Kobe. Maybe by 2009 the idea was already absurd to compare the two players, but there was still a window of opportunity for TMac to redeem himself of those 6 or however many first round losses he’d endured. If he had showed up as 80% of the 2008 McGrady against the Lakers along with that core that took them to seven games, I think we could have won the whole damn thing.

But what ensued was a Carr-esque, Schaubian collapse. No first round wins in the playoffs as a starter for his team. No point in memorializing this period of failure especially as the end was a self-inflicted tragedy. Yao on the other hand had to be pulled out of games by the trainers. His crime was working too hard, trying to push his body beyond what physics said it could tolerate. The difference is subtle but important.

17. caneks

caneks Rookie

Everyone but McGrady. You never retire player's number who quit on your team and blame all of his teammates not good enough to pass the first round of the playoffs.

18. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Never forget he picked the Lakers to win back in 09 when he's still with us.

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Patterson should have been recognised by Leslie long before CD...one of his major failures as an owner in my opinion.

tinman likes this.
  20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I think Ralph Sampson deserves it. The man got us to the Finals in '86.

fattz likes this.