1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[First Take] Kenny Smith Flames Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Feb 15, 2018.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Again, I said I didn't recall that nickname used when he was a Rocket. Heck his own peers on TNT even kidded him about the 'fake' nickname.

Houstunna and Richie_Rich like this.
  2. macan

macan Member

you should go watch some more inside the NBA and see what they talk about for the past few years. they gave no respect to rockets and hating the whole analytic movement morey put out. and NO he did not win two championships, the only person u can say that the Dream won two championships. Kenny was fortunate enough to be on Dream's team!

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Rockets adding CP3 just destroyed the league and made everyone worse?
    2 star teams have been around for YEARS.
    Did your beloved Tmac + Yao combo make others worse too?

KD leaving OKC made 1 team worse for 1 year..they replaced him with 2 more stars!

GSW and HOU only play the rest of the team x amount of times...the other times these teams are playing each other no? Why doesn't OKC just beat all the other teams it plays?

xtruroyaltyx and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kenny, unlike Dream, is not as invested in the Rockets. Kenny is only invested in his Rockets, very much like certain posters.

Dream is able to find joy in the success of other Rockets teams, he is the bridge between past greatness and greatness yet to come. Kenny is only interested in preserving his brand, having current Rockets team recognized as having a historic regular season and best offense ever hurts his brand, his self importance, which is unfortunate because his accomplishments and those of the championship Rocket teams in 90's will live on forever as first and best.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why were you so affected by the video?
    It accomplished it's mission, people watched it.

If I was acting like like SAS, I would say "LAWRD, HAVE MERCY"

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I didn't say your act was as successful or even the same as SAS, only that you had one. Both are equally annoying and predictable.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

You didn't predict that I would post the video. You found it strange that I did, but didn't understand that I posted it because it was about Kenny Smith not Max Kellerman.
    Yet you attempted to claim that I'm posting it for Max Kellerman which I don't care for. If Max Kellerman was in a picture with Hakeem Olajuwon, I would post it because of Hakeem Olajuwon.
    Maybe you just need me to explain everything to you.

8. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Pablo Torre on Around the Horn just said the only way we beat the Warriors is that if Curry tears his ACL. Do these so called sports journalists realize how stupid they sound.

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Now we are talking about predictions, back to moving goalposts I see.

And I had to laugh at your weak zinger attempt, only person explaining during this entire dialog is me to you. But your dementia probably is the reason you think it's the other way around.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't suffer from dementia , I clearly remember that Kenny Smith was a great Rockets point guard and he became a very successful NBA TV Analyst.
    Being a NBA Analyst means that his job to independently analyze the game.
    His job as a Rocket guard was to help the Rockets win.

Because his opinion is not favoring the Rockets, fans here are upset because they expect everyone to believe the Rockets will win 3 titles and that Harden is better than Jordan at 28.

I don't see anywhere he seems bitter towards the Rockets. Barkley was because Les screwed him over 3 million dollars, which we can't prove, but this is the same owner who took the championship trophies that were won mainly from the previous regime's players and player acquisitions.

It's a very sensitive group of fans now, you know, you are one of them

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I don't see Kenny's jersey hanging from the rafters. The Pocket Rocket was a Rockets great PG, not Kenny.

You sure you are still remembering things correctly?

And as for me being a sensitive fan I am surely not the one posting multiple threads mocking and deriding other Rockets fans for their joy and celebration of the current Rockets team successes, which admittedly is sometimes but not always exaggerated.

#171 D-rock, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Where did 22 points come from? Is that his average against them previously? I don't see Harden doing that now...if he does, Smith might be right. But that's a big 'IF'.

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Matt Maloney is offended.

D-rock likes this.
  14. lnchan

For those too young to remember, Kenny was more than a point guard that would stop and pop on a fast break...

D-rock and tinman like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

thanks dude, you are a pure fan. You can tell the difference from a player vs an analyst.

I think fans can't do that now, for example Clyde Drexler as an analyst who is jovial and carefree is not Clyde Drexler the NBA player who was a beast.

16. vince

vince Member

I never recall anyone calling him Jet during the whole championship run. He was a spot up shooter. We all knew Mad Max, Calvin was always calling him that. But The first time I heard of K. Smith as “Jet” was on TNT.

Maybe his thrusters had burned out in 92-93 when I first started really watching the Rockets.

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Irrelevant to the OP

D-rock likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah, I remember 2 championships, I remember running a great pick and roll with OT.
    I can turn this thread into a Kenny Smith player thread and we can TALK ALL NIGHT.

Let's go

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1991_773486
    Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: FRI 03/29/1991
    Section: Sports

Soaring Rockets win 13th in row

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

ATLANTA - The Rockets are a lot like that battery commercial with that silly rabbit playing the drum.

They keep going and going and going.

Just when it looked like the energy was sapped out of the Rockets' winning streak, they were jump-started to victory.

Vernon Maxwell scored five points in the final 47 seconds, including a 22-foot jumper with eight seconds to go for the game-winner, as the Rockets nudged the Atlanta Hawks 112-111 Thursday night at the Omni.

In a game the Rockets seemed destined to lose, they responded at crunch time for their 13th consecutive victory.

"I think," said Hakeem Olajuwon, "we've forgotten how to lose."

If it's selective amnesia, the Rockets don't ever want to remember.

They have won 25 of 29 games since they were 20-20 in late January. Their road record is 17-16, the best in franchise history after 33 games.

And most important, they are 45-24 overall, keeping the pressure squarely on Utah and San Antonio in the Midwest Division race.

While Otis Thorpe anchored the Rockets most of the game with 24 points and 13 rebounds, Kenny Smith and Maxwell were the sparks that snatched this victory. The pair combined for 15 of the Rockets' last 21 points in the final, frantic six minutes.

With the Rockets trailing 108-105, Maxwell got free for a three-pointer. To that point, he had missed 10 of 14 field-goal attempts.

He nailed the three to tie the game with 47 seconds to play.

Dominique Wilkins scored for the Hawks, but Thorpe laid in a follow shot with 24 seconds left and was fouled.

When he missed the shot, the game remained tied and Atlanta's Doc Rivers was fouled on the rebound by Buck Johnson.

Rivers made one of two shots with 22 seconds showing as the Hawks went on top 111-110.

Coach Don Chaney wanted Smith to orchestrate the final play, and he ran the pick-and-roll with Thorpe and found Maxwell open near the three-point line at the top of the key.

Maxwell faked a shot, eluded a defender, and fired a jumper with one shoe extending just inside the three-point line.

It was perfect, putting the Rockets up with eight seconds to play.

"Vernon had told me his man was leaving when I would drive off the pick-and-roll," Smith said. "He said to look for him and that's what I did. The play worked perfectly and he hit the shot."

It's the kind of play the Rockets have pulled off time and again during their streak.

"It always happens, doesn't it?" Chaney said afterward. "The guy who misses and misses and misses the whole game - boom! - when the game is on the line, he hits the big shot.

"I'll say this about Vernon and Kenny. They've got guts. In fact, this whole team is refusing to lose right now. That's our motto."

Smith, the former Hawk who was acquired by the Rockets for Tim McCormick before the season, was greeted before the game with mild cheers.

Then he showed the Atlanta fans what they lost when he was traded away, finishing with 25 points and 13 assists.

"There wasn't anything extra special about coming back," he said. "The big thing that makes it special is that we're doing things that nobody has ever done for this franchise before."

While Sleepy Floyd had an off game with just four points, Smith and Maxwell more than held their own.

"Max made some big, big plays down the stretch," said Olajuwon, who had 14 points and 10 rebounds, but was hounded by foul trouble in the second half.

[​IMG]
    "Kenny did a fantastic job of making things happen, and Otis was excellent at both ends. This team is gaining confidence."

That confidence showed in many ways on Thursday, because the Rockets did not play a crisp game for the first three quarters.

What they lacked early was the consistent shooting and quickness that destroyed Chicago on Monday. Their problems could have been traced to the two days off and the post-Bull letdown.

Whatever, the Rockets trailed by six points early, regained a 70-62 lead with an 18-6 streak in the third quarter, but never had complete control.

Ahead 89-79, the Rockets hurt themselves with silly fouls. The Hawks even got a four-point play when Maxwell nicked Doc Rivers midway through the fourth quarter. Rivers hit a three-pointer from the corner, then sank the free throw.

That play closed a seven-point game to 91-88 and ensured the Rockets would have to sweat this one out to the bitter end, which actually was very sweet.

19. papoose115

papoose115 Member

i love the rockets but... even if we finish the season as 1st seed, i think we are still the underdogs in a playoffs series against them. i mean they went to 3 straight finals and won 2 of them. have arguably 2 of the top 5 players and 4 of top 15 in their team.
    that being said... i'd love it if we go in to the series being the underdogs with HCA and beat them

20. lnchan

Five of the nine pages of this thread are irrelevant to the OP.