1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duane Brown traded to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Oct 30, 2017.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Def feel like he dissed JJ Watt.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Texans talk starts around the 19 minute mark

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I didn't listen to the whole thing as my brain can't focus that long but just to list a few.

• Duane doesn't care for Rick Smith/Bob McNair
    • Duane called the coaching staff/OB "his guys"
    • Talks about the bad meat ordeal in 16 and how the org didn't believe him(Front office felt his quad injury was a result of PED's)
    • Wanted to be a Texan for whole career(he came off very genuine, and not Coach speak throughout interview).
    • Texan organization didn't support Dre/other good Texan players.
    • Front office was not supportive to players during "protest" etc
    • Duane asked for new contract day after 16/17 season, Texans never responded until mini camp where they told him they don't do Contracts with two years remaining. Duane laughed at that and said you have done it before.
    Just some tidbits, but this interview obviously wasn't a good look for the Texans front office.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would they believe him? It was the 2nd time he tested positive yet they still stood by his side anyway.

I'm REALLY glad he wasn't allowed to.

That's just flat out a lie.
    This is 100% of his complaint because he was a big fan of players embarrassing themselves with their "protest" BS and it's really all he cared about.

If it was a player with more credibility than Duane Brown, I might care a bit, but that's not the case and he's outright lying when he says that the organization doesn't support their good players.....they just don't support people who are acting inappropriately and that's what he's got a problem with. When Nuk held out, it didn't get him anywhere, when he showed up, he got a new deal. When Dre signed a bad deal due to hiring a family member to be his agent, the team ripped up the contract and made him the highest paid WR in the league despite the fact that they had absolutely no reason to do so given how many years he had left on that deal.

Duane Brown is a b**** and I'm glad he's another team's problem. .

ipaman, macho GRANDE and Uprising like this.
  5. texian

texian Member

"The coaching staff, I rock with the coaching staff there... O'Brien and all them... those my guys."

"The front office" they distanced themselves from me
    (after quad tendon tear), they didn't believe me (about banned substance, which he was vindicated of)... 'we gonna move on from him'."

He asked Rick to schedule a press conference for him to explain his fist in the air. Told yes. Then JJ got hurt and they said he had to wait because Duane's story would be overshadowed by the Watt story. Then they never gave him the opportunity -- he asked, no responses from front office. Kind of devolved from there.

Loves Houston, wanted to finish his career here. Front office didn't respond to requests to discuss his contract for months. Then said "we don't do that."

red5rocket likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LMAO at Bob McNair.

Tells the players "I know you guys are happy about this" after Obama was elected

TexasRedd and Fulgore like this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wasn't the coach the reason Andre left?

red5rocket likes this.
  8. raining threes

It really came down to money/role in the offense.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. The coach said he would be 3rd string and only get 40 catches. And he didn't like that so he asked to be released/traded.

raining threes likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans...Foster-leaving-Texans-Bob-McNair-12614513.php

Former Texans left tackle Duane Brown was a guest on the podcast "Now What? with Arian Foster," and gave details about his experiences in Houston and how his time with the Texans came to an end.

"It was bigger than football for me at that point," said Brown, who was traded to the Seahawks in October after a lengthy holdout. "I was disrespected. I can't walk in that building and only play football. You have to interact with these people at some point. I'm not one of those people that can fake my way through that (stuff). I can't. It was too far gone, and the departure was needed. It had nothing to do with me wanting to get out of Houston or leave my teammates. Not at all."

Brown said his relationship with the Texans began to sour when he failed a drug test in 2015 - which he appealed and his pending 10-game suspension was overturned - then tore his quad at the end of the 2015 season and protested during the national anthem when the Texans played a game at New England while Brown was still recovering from the injury in 2016.

Brown said he wanted a new contract after the 2016 season, but the Texans refused to talk about a new deal.

"I wanted to finish my career there, and I wanted security doing that," Brown said. "I made it known right at the end of the season. There was no conversation throughout the whole offseason about it, which is why I didn't show up to anything. There was a conversation around minicamp where they said we can't do deals with two years left, but they've done it before. Basically they were like, 'We've done it before but you're not worth that.' So, I'm like, 'OK, well, I'm not coming to anything then.'"

Brown and Foster had a conversation about how NFL players - because most contracts aren't guaranteed - don't often have leverage against teams, and when the player finally has leverage, he should use it.

"At that point I was nine years in and had a pretty damn good nine-year career, so I had to use it at that point," Brown said. "I could have went to training camp that year, got injured and I didn't have any guaranteed money on my contract, so I could have got cut right then and there and that would have been it."

Brown ended his holdout and returned to the team after week 6, but that week is when owner Bob McNair's comments about not letting the "inmates run the prison" came to light in an ESPN Magazine article. Brown was open with his disdain for the owner's comments.

"I had to voice my displeasure," Brown said. "There was so many other people who wanted to but that fear factor was there. But I was like '(screw it), you don't have to, I will.'"

A week later, Brown was traded to the Seahawks.

Late in the podcast, Brown also appeared to take a shot at former teammate J.J. Watt.

At the 59-minute mark, Foster and Brown talked about how some fans don't understand how much work goes into being a football player.

"People aren't with you every day of your life," Brown said. "And I don't post my workout videos every day, so you don't get a glimpse into seeing what I do all the time."

Foster countered: "Nobody does."

Which made Brown chuckle and say: "Yeah, some people do."

With as much as Watt posts his workout videos on social media, that would seem to be a direct shot at Watt.

Nimo likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think the real mistake the front office did was not preparing or fixing the Duane Brown situation. However I give them credit for the trade. Rick Smith got more for Duane Brown than Belichek got for Garappolo. Doesn't make up for it but it was a really nice consolation prize

12. texian

texian Member

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Andre not coming to terms with his diminishing talent is the reason he left. BOB was merely honest with him and it led to a temper tantrum.....and Dre eventually proving BOB right.

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Didn't Dunta Robinson hate Rick Smith just as much Duane Brown does? Seems like there is a common thread here...

15. Summer Song Giver

Arian really wants to be intelligent but....

16. raining threes

Hell has officially frozen over according to BtG BOB did something correct.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I only criticize BOB for things he deserves to be criticized for. I always gave him props when it came to how he handled Dre. He had the balls to flat out tell him that he's washed up and needs to take on a completely different role....and he was absolutely proven right about it.

That doesn't make any of the bad decisions BOB has made any better though.

18. raining threes

I was joking

Sorry you didn't get that.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No worries, you should know by now that I don't ever take things personally. I just wanted to make it clear that I don't really have it out for BOB to where I'd be unfair to him. I know there are some people who hold that opinion even if you aren't one of them.

20. raining threes

I think I'm pretty fair when it comes to BOB.

I'm looking forward to seeing the talent they add in the next couple of years.