1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson (Offense) Vs. Gerald Green (Offense)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 7, 2018.

?

Which is more valuable to us for the playoffs and in general moving forward?

1. Ryan Anderson

2. Gerald Green

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. aroundtheblock2

The poll results are cringeworthy. Im ashamed of other Rockets fans on this board.

Love Gerald Green and what he's doing but he's not going to be getting any significant minutes in the playoffs.

No Ryan Anderson is not worth $20 million, but Ryan Anderson would have been on almost any NBA roster this year.

#21 aroundtheblock2, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    AroundTheWorld and SS0101 like this.
  2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Green's defense is much worse than Rhino's if that is possible. Anderson will remain a main rotation player. Green will not.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nobody would hate Anderson if he was aggressive.

There was 1 point last year after the all star break where Anderson was averaging close to 18 pts a night. That kind of Anderson would be worth every penny of his salary.

Too bad Anderson's biggest hater is actually himself.

napalm06 and SS0101 like this.
  4. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

As of 2.12.2018:

Green is 59/146 3's in 19 games = 40%

Ryno is 110/288 3's in 53 games = 38%

Carmelo is 109/314 3's in 54 games = 35%

SS0101 and D-rock like this.
  5. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I think Green is more valuable, however, I would like to see more from him in the following areas
    1. Tougher on defense, use your leaping ability to challenge shots
    2. A better understanding of the defense and corresponding rotations
    3. Not taking every shot and looking for the open man rolling to the basket
    4. Driving strong to the basket and dunking on someone. This will make them back off him for easier 3 pointers.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Except you're incorrect. Green has been a top 4 scorer for the team in last 2 weeks. Some of those games were actually close and those points were critical.

Mr. Dominant and hakeem94 like this.
  7. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I dont see how that makes me incorrect? I am talking about role within the team and system. Not to take away from what Green has done, he has been great, but wings who can score the ball, more specifically from 3...we have Ariza, Luc, Ego, and Harden (and now JJ, but lets wait and see how exactly he fits in).

Fours (legitimate fours, not small ball fours) that can stretch the floor to 3 or 4 feet beyond the arc? Fours who can legitimately play a small ball 5 without sacrificing size and strength? We have one of those. His name is Ryan Anderson.

I know we all wish we didnt have that contract attached to him...me included. But, there is logic, and necessity, and uniqueness that he brings to this roster, lineup, and rotation. He is a pretty valuable player.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I thought the question was which player out of the 2 is “more valuable”...
    We all obviously love how consistent Green has been shooting it and the energy he brings on the defensive side of the court. But if you’re asking me who’s more valuable it has to be Ryno. We have players like Green who can score like he does (EG). What we don’t have is a F that can spread the floor like Ryno can when his shot is falling. PJ is a great defender but his shot is so inconsistent and when he’s off it’s ugly.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ryno's spacing is not more important than Greene's scoring. Neither PJ, Luc, Ariza nor Ryno can consistently give the Rockets double digit scoring. None of those guys have yet to put consecutive double digit scoring games together the last 2 months. Offensively they have been the definition of inconsistency.

EGo is different because he replaces either Beard or CP3 when they are resting. Even in this era of positionless basketball, there are 3 critical roles in MDA system.

Facilitators, divers and spacers. Green, like Ryno, Ariza, PJ and Luc are spacers. EGo is half spacer, half facilitator. Beard, CP3 and EGo (sometimes) are facilitators. The divers are Capela, Nene and now Wright.

#29 D-rock, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    hakeem94 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Green's rim protection and man2man D better than Ryno's. Ryno is a more knowledgeable help defender and recognizes switches better but his D sucks.

His value is rebounding, that is where he clearly outshines Green.

j@amc and hakeem94 like this.
  11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I have a feeling that Anderson is going to come up big at some point in the playoffs. Just a weird gut feeling that I have.

solid and hakeem94 like this.
  12. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I'm sorry, I was unaware that the question posed was about consistency and not value. Even to that point though, 2 weeks is hardly a measure of consistency...by that account Ryno would have stretches of near super-stardom.

I understand this "era of positionless basketball." However, even in this "era of positionless basketball," there is a such thing as matchups. Gerald Green and Ryan Anderson do not matchup against the same types of players. So while they are both "spacers" in this system, they each bring glaring differences to the table. And I am saying that those differences are more valuable in Ryno that they are for Green.

To put it another way, if Ryno is "on" we are the favorites to win the title. If he isn't, then we have more challenges. If green is "on?" Oh never mind...green probably won't even see the court after the all star break so it isn't even worth raising the question. Why won't he see the court? Because there are way more like him than there are of Ryno.

So who is more valuable, again?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ryno may not start again if he doesn't find his shot, and it doesn't have anything to do with his injury.

Green is ascending in value while Ryno has descended in value. For good reason.

But both are role players. Season, regular or post, is not going to hinge on either guy.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I like both players for different reasons and because they play different positions, I don't see this as an apples to apples comparison. I want to see Green steal minutes from SF/SG positions when those players are having off nights. Ryno is PF with a sprinkle of C minutes. Neither player are great defenders, but when they're on their offensive skills are game changing. MDA certainly has been given a crazy arsenal--adding JJ only makes us more versatile and deadly.

Now with that said, if GG is really doing damage, there is no reason Ariza and Luc don't take some PF minutes from Ryno. That's where GG could have an impact if he keeps being our designated assassin.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

While it's clear that Green is the better offensive player right now. Ryno offense is more valuable because of where it's coming from our weakest position.

SS0101 likes this.
  16. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Over his last 13 games Ryno is shooting 44% from 3.

That's a longer stretch than 2 weeks btw

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

WORD. I don't hate Anderson, but I do hate the way he is playing right now.

Mr. Dominant, D-rock and roslolian like this.
  18. mario_v

mario_v Member

Just play green at power forward.

19. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Joe Johnson at PF instead of Ryan Anderson is whats going to happen in the clutch.

Mr. Dominant and D-rock like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the dude showed up huge in big games, be happy we have him and he is healthy, no need for him to be chucking up 10 3 s per game now that other dudes got it going for us to win easy...he regularly contributes on boards and d and shoots high percentage of 3 s...ryan is a big baller and a team player