1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Utah Broadcaster on Joe Johnson's Fit/Season Up to Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

He keeps saying that JJ might be the exception to the rule of Dantoni making the player play at least one practice being playing them. Does anyone remember a guy named Gerald Green who didn't even have his Jersey or shoes playing in the game same day as signing?

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks; will get to (probably in AM); does he address JJ's hand issue(s)?

3. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Or Lou Williams last year when he dropped 27 points (7 3s)

saleem and DonKnock like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't we only have like 6 healthy bodies that night (that Mike D likes to play), that's probably the other exception to the rule.

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yes, but Ben talked about it more in depth in the earlier episode.

The shooting has reverted to normal. Locke talks more about Joe on 0, 1, or 2 days rest and how his defense has been this year.

raining threes, Deuce, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Awesome job by Ben as usual. Good to get the inside scoop on Joe. I didn't realize that he had the worst defensive rating on the Jazz, although it is obvious that he has declined a lot on defense with age.
    Coming off the bench, to give us a spark on offense is the best we can expect.

douglasreedy1 and DonKnock like this.
  7. aroundtheblock2

I expect he'll be asked to come in every 2-3 games or so to give guys like Tucker, Ariza, or Mbah a Moute some relief minutes after say a tough road trip or the 2nd game of a back-to-back (5 more back-to-backs this season). He can provide some quality minutes that the Rockets otherwise might've given to a g-league type player. So, while he may not ultimately play a huge role in the playoffs, the impact he could have on the season just playing a few minutes here or there might be great for keeping the Rockets in good standing record-wise and health-wise for the playoffs.

Koperboy, ramotadab and saleem like this.
  8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Joe Johnson does Bikram yoga every morning! I can attest: Bikram yoga changed my life and took my fitness to 2.0 level. Do it!

Two things I got: 1) totally stretched out; it's like I got a new pair of legs, kid's legs; 2) breathing only through the nose: it took my running to bionic level, once I learned to breathe only through my nose, in and out.

Do Bikram yoga!

zcarenow, glenadyll, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Defensive rating means very little. The statistic is a product of the other 4 players on the court with you. He is fine defensively.

10. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I believe he also said he had the worst plus minus.

That said, I believe an old vet in the right role can still be t***. Lets hope our system can minimize his flaws and highlight his strengths.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Those were desperation issues due to the Rockets literally lacking players. It's MDA's preference not to play any new player without going through a practice — but with the Green signing, they were running low on bodies. Not the case right now other than Ariza, but fingers crossed that Eric continues to feel fine.

Deuce, TMac'n, nacho bidness and 4 others like this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

@The Cat enjoyed and enjoying the shows. I haven't quite finished the trifecta, but this is an awesome day to be listening to you. Especially because my gf got me tickets to the game. I still can't believe we dominated this team that has been giving the league fits lately!

Deuce, RasaqBoi, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  13. basketballholic

Agreed. But it does have some meaning within the context of the team. Not much but a little.

The reality is Johnson is an aging former superstar. He can no longer do two things:

1. Defend another great player at an extremely high level for an extended period of time - the legs, quickness, and stamina are no longer there. But that doesn't mean he can't bear down for a possession or two in crunch time. He can.

2. He can no longer blow by guys to the rim, either on the dribble or off the ball. Once again, the quickness and elite athleticism to blow by, take on the big and cram it in their grill isn't there.

Both of those things should be expected st his age.

But make no mistake, Joe Johnson is still capable of beating a lot of players even without those two things. This is an extremely strong man with elite basketball skills and gifts with a very high basketball iq. He knows how to play this game. And IF we win a championship he will be a huge part of why we did. Because he brings us tools to the 4 spot specifically that we just haven't had up til now.

Great pickup. I think he becomes the starter. If he does that means the chemistry is sweet with his addition.

raining threes, j@amc, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  14. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Jeez, this guy sounds like a huge hater. I guess he forgot that Joe was the reason why Utah even got out the 1st round against LAC last season. If I was a player in Utah at age 36 I would suck too just to try to get bought out because clearly I wouldn’t be playing for anything in Utah. Joe has proven that he can be really good on a PO team and as far as Wright goes I’m sure he will get some PT even in the PO because you can’t play Nene against some teams in the PO.

D-rock likes this.
  15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Jazz are 10th seed with a losing record at the moment - probably not much fun for JJ. Winning and team chemistry can do a lot for a player so joining the Rockets might be just the thing for him.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

perhaps in a specific playoff series, but otherwise i think mda starts ryno (ughh)

ramotadab likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Ryno is the starter. We got ryno to get that stretch 4 we have been looking for for millennia.

At this point you dont pull it out midstream. Ryno goes first.

THEN you start bringing in Gerald green and joe johnson not the other way around.

I think you me and all of us are basically waiting for that break out stretch and breakout games of ryno.

It may never come but we are all waiting for it. Maybe its not there and ryno sucks. We can argue hes not worth 20 million but that is what it is and joe johnson is a buyout off street..
    Like george harrison says its gonna take time. ( hopefully not too much more)

Look at it this way - we showcase him and if he plays well its extra gravy. We are not designed to rely on ryno or green or joe johnson for that matter. If anything your fear and negativity should face the idea that we are relying on 3 injury prone people in capela nene wright. At some point you have to go to war.

I thought you were banned to the same underworld where pryuen is still kept. Welcome back.. Sounds like clutch is a little less wound up as the years go on

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

April 2017 this is what tnt inside the nba set had to say about Joe Johnson in Utah during the time he was beating the Clippers in the playoffs.

Lets see what the guys have to say about us picking him up for this years playoffs in reference to beating the warriors...

D-rock likes this.
  19. j@amc

j@amc Member

I really like Gerald Green and what he brings us, but he's a shooting guard. He's obviously going to play less in the coming weeks. It used to be that Green could take minutes from Ariza if someone went small--especially when a quicker a forward was killing us (THINK: Tim Hardaway Jr. types). That used to be a problem for us but Green gives us a jolt and more size for those matchups that Gordon doesn't have an immediate advantage.

Against GS, it looks to me like Green can focus on chasing Thompson or maybe Nick Young. This is a small role (maybe 8 minutes in the first half), but otherwise Green becomes Gordon insurance (something we actually need).

Joe Johnson, together with Green, really give us unprecedented matchup options off the bench. The days of Ariza having to guard the best player on the court are over (finally). Ariza, who is truly a marvel, shouldn't have to shoulder that kind of load on a team this good. Adding all these veteran players lets us build a strategy and find what works. MDA and staff will need to be more creative in the playoffs rather than simply playing the same guys, the same minutes every game.

What's different now is that we can create the matchups that we like. For example, if a player isn't favorable for Luc A Moute, we don't have to go small. JJ is a proven small forward who might body up and give a player like GS's Nick Young fits for a short stretch.

However, the idea of JJ as a stretch four is exciting to think about. JJ catching the ball for an uncontested corner three is even more dangerous than the pretty reliable Tucker. And while Anderson has these hot shooting stretches with that otherworldly range, JJ is a balanced scorer. He can get in the paint, draw fouls, and thrive in the mid-range.

Where Anderson and even Luc A Moute can give a head fake and get in the paint, they struggle against good defenders who close out well. But in these matchups, JJ will look silky smooth. I see a ton of simple looks for JJ and more uncontested threes around the perimeter for everyone.

Who has an advantage when Draymond Green has JJ? I think it may be even.

Deuce and D-rock like this.