1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Mutual Interest between Joe Johnson and Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2018.

1. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

that's the thing tho... there's been no indication that that's what he wants.....

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think he still needs to clear waivers before he can sign with any team.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You realize that he played pretty bad in 8 of 11 playoff games?

He can definitely have great games, but he has them because he plays consistently high minutes despite the fact that way more often than not he's average or worse.

If he can settle into a role where with less minutes he can be consistently value add (say 7 out of 10 solid games instead of the reverse), with the occasional breakout, that'd be fantastic.

4. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I really don't think that's the case. That's the point of the buyout vs.Tony Allen who was simply waived, and has begun the waiver wire process, from teams with the worst record to the best record, in that order. If a team does choose Allen off waivers, they assume the rest of his contract, and the team that originally signed him is off the hook. If no team claims Allen, the team that waived him still has to pay out the remainder of the contract AND Allen then becomes a free agent. When a buyout occurs, their contract with the team they originally signed for is "bought out" at a discount so the team is off the hook for the FULL amount AND the player is free to sign with any team at that time. That player was never actually "waived," thus the waiver wire is not applicable.

This is exactly how this works in other pro sports, can someone please verify this?

5. MystikArkitect

Close out 5 of Harden, CP3, Ryno, EGo and ISO Joe. Who says no?

D-rock likes this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

So who do you guys think is a better player in their careers currently joe johnson or carmelo?

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A team with cap room could claim him/anyone cut/bought out.

forchette49 likes this.
  8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Good question

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  9. rockets13champs

Both played in different Burroughs in NY. But Melo was ask loved. Iso Joe was ignored

DonKnock and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

What is the latest as far as Rockets are concerned? Is JJ coming?

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah of course, but we were talking about a scenario between us and OKC. And since he was signed with a minimum contract i suppose any team (outside of Chicago and NOLA) can potentially claim his contract.

12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Yeah get older and slower. Morey fundamentally doesn't understand basketball to a certain extent. This is a Cavs level move. Getting older and slower as if that **** is anything that can sustain success against elite teams.

Tucker, Harden, and Ariza already have slow feet on the perimeter. CP3 and Luc are the only good man defenders and CP isn't even consistent anymore.

What a waste of a roster spot.

hakeem94 and mario_v like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, but that's because that Jazz team was short on playmakers. It's one thing if your playmaker order goes Gordon Hayward/IsoJoe/George Hill or Rodney Hood and quite another on a roster where Iso Joe falls behind Harden, CP3, and EGo.

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

insert Moute, or put in Tucker as a small-ball 5, and remove Ryno...Reeko loves that

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Joe Johnson > Ryan Anderson bottom line and I'm not even going to mention contracts.

forchette49, D-rock and lionaire like this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I think the value they provide is similar at this point. Both past their primes, both might not be able to be net positive players in big roles anymore, but I trust both to hit big shots in the 4th quarters of playoff games.

I trust joe johnson to accept what he is more than carmelo though. Carmelo still thinks he should be a 35 minutes a game all star type guy

Cstyle42 likes this.
  17. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

I would love to get Joe for the playoff push. You see alot of his ISO moves (from back in the day) in Harden's ISO game..... I've always been a big fan and could get behind this...
    Funny to hear posters talk about the lux tax, as if that matters. Spend the money if needed! Just the cost of doing business. It's Golden Nugget money anywho.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Nivos

Nivos Member

hmm... Me? No defense what so ever. Horrible linup for last minutes.
    We need stops, we have enough offense.
    Only reason I love Iso Joe is as an injury insurance. Only guys that can create for themselves and others are Harden, Paul and Gordon. If we get caught in a playoff series with one of them out we're ****ed.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

This is all about GSW.

Nene definitely isn't a good matchup against them, and there's a decent enough chance that Anderson goes into a shooting slump and gets killed on the defensive end. It's also possible that Capela isn't effective against full time small ball.

That leaves you with:

CP3
    Harden
    Gordon
    Ariza
    Moute
    Tucker
    maybe Green

That's a super short lineup, and could burn out in a long series. Also, you're one injury away from a big hole in the rotation.

Remember...it's all about GSW. We need to be prepared for any contingency. Full time small ball isn't just possible...it's happened before with them.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member