1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On a Diet? On a Budget? Want Beer? Can You Hold Your Nose and Drink?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rocketman95, Dec 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

That's like calling The Olive Garden upscale.

2. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Cant drink cheap beer anymore...........but when I was a younger, it was Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull.........$.99 for a 40......

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Ah, a thread near and dear to my heart.

I often go on cheap beer kicks, and once even threw a cheap beer party at my house where the only beer was cheapo stuff and the only munchies were generic junk food and pork rinds. My friends reaaaaaaallly loved me after that one...NOT!

The cheap beers I like (no particular order):

Olympia
    Pearl & Pearl Light
    Falstaff
    Lone Star
    Schlitz
    Pabst Blue Ribbon (Red Necks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer)
    Lucky Lager (west coast)

4. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

The only reason to buy cheap booze is to get drunk. If that is your objective why not buy cheap burbon? It's faster and has no carbs for all you Atkins folks. There is substantial fat and calories though. When I was on Atkins it was whatever cheap whiskey I could find and diet coke.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, slightly off topic, but what exactly is the difference between beer and malt liquor?

6. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

You have to be a Bad Ass Mother F***** to drink Malt Liquor.

Really I think it's just supposed to be a little heavier beer.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Malt Liquor has a higher alcohol content than beer.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I love Mickey's granades. Mickey's Ice is damn good as well.

9. Buck Turgidson

"The second and the preferred way [to brew] is to prepare a special brew of about 50 to 60 percent malt [which is 60 percent fermentable], 30 to 40 percent corn grits [about 75 percent fermentable], and 10 to 20 percent dextrose [corn sugar about 86 percent fermentable] to an original gravity (OG) of 12.5 to 14.5 degrees Plato [percent of fermentable sugars in the beginning beer wort] (after which is added) a fungal alpha amylase [an enzyme that changes unfermentable sugar-starches called dextrins into fermentable sugar. These unfermentable dextrins are what give beer its wonderful flavor]. ·Fermentation is carried out at (the high) temperatures (usually) associated with ale fermentation." [The result is a beer with minimal body, or taste, and increased alcohol content]. -- Clement Prechtl, a brewing scientist associated with the Wallerstein Laboratories, in a 1972 technical paper presented to an MBAA brewers Convention in Winnipeg

Basically, Malt Liquor is a lager (vs. an ale, stout, or wheat beer) that is engineered, through the use of additional fermentable material (the stuff yeast eats, the byproduct is alcohol) and enzymes, to have a higher alcohol content.

From the Beer Glossary:
    They are generally pale, golden colored, and have a light to medium body. Usually, they are cheaply made and are one of the most popular means for getting quickly and cheaply drunk. Also, Malt Liquor is neither malt tasting nor a liquor.
    http://www.viennatonight.com/main/beerglos.htm

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Anyone ever had that malt liquor with the monk on the bottle holding an a barrell. Its either brewed in Germany or Belgium. It actually taste pretty good.

11. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

It's all about the natty light or when we are in the mood for 40s it's usually Hurricanes.

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

FINALLY someone touts the Mickey's. I lived off of Mickey's 40s when I went to U of H. We just rolled into the ghetto to a Pak's or similar "food store" and purchased them nice and underage. For some reason, the old black dudes that hang out at Korean food stores in the ward loved it when we young crackers would come in and buy malt liquor. Guys would stop us all the time and say, "Hell yeah, man, that was my favorite beer in high school." H-town respects Mickey's!

There was this great place over on (I seem to recall) Scott called Winn's that we went to all the time. There was this urban-wear store next door, so the parking lot would always be filled with hoopties blasting DJ Screw, with all the fashion-minded hard cases just hanging out. Rarely in my life have I felt more out of place and alone than while walking my skinny ass through that gauntlet, but dammit, I NEEDED the booze.

13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Schlitz is a wonderful beer, the one that made Milwaukee famous. Several of my favorite bars in Chicago had it going for a buck-fifty a bottle. I've gotten in some good "PBR vs. Schlitz" fights recently.

Steely Dan wrote a rejected ad for Schlitz, with Skunk Baxter reciting dubious phrases in Spanish after inhaling helium.

Icehouse is also nice for the 5.5% alcohol bite.

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Lone Star all the way.

Anything with Texas on it will do though....

15. surrender

surrender Member

Winn's is still there, but supposedly they card now. I just get my beer from my over-21 friends.

Also, I'm probably the only college student who hasn't ever had a cheap beer. It's all about Bud Light or Miller Lite when I'm trying to get drunk, or Sam Adams and Shiner when I want to enjoy it.

16. Sane

Sane Member

So this BEER u speak of.... You say ot's not Budweiser, it's not Heineken, and it's not Corona?

That's just ridiculous.

Hehe, we don't get anything else here. At least I don't think so.

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

No love for "The Champagne of Beers"?

:D

Red Dog has a bite and isn't too expensive either.

Personally, back in the day when I was broke(or rather more broke than I am now) I leaned toward "bum wines".

http://www.tcsn.net/rags/bum/

Mad Dog 20/20 was my nectar of choice because of it's potency and cheap price. However, there was a price to pay physically when drinking MD 20/20. You could get terribly sick if you didn't have a high tolerance for such a wicked drink and it had to have some secret ingredient that no other alcoholic beverage has because I would always do some crazy ass stuff while I was bitten by the Mad Dog.

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Cheap Beer?

There's only one way to go!

MC MARK'S HOME BREW ALE!

I can make 3 cases out of a $24 homebrew kit!

In fact I've still got a case and a half of my Holiday Homebrew I'll probably break open this weekend!

19. Buck Turgidson

Back when I was poor, many a day I'd walk over to the Stop & Go on Richmond & Montrose, buy 4 tall boys for $2, then hit Bambolino's next door for the $.99 double slice. Good times.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Not sure which beer you are speaking of, but the word for Munich (in my opinion the world's beer capital) in German actually means monks. The monks there used to brew there own beer.