1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House Intel committee votes to release Nunes memo - CNNPolitics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jan 29, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wow a whole bunch of nothing. Who would have thunk it?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Biggest scandal since the watergate

3. Cranberry_Juice

Don't quote me on this but from what a coworker explained to me is that material omissions or additions to the memo would have delayed release and would have to go through another vote for release. The fact that it went through meant that Schiff did not have suffiicient evidence to block release.

As for the dossier, it was not the information it contained. It was that it was funded by the DNC and Clinton, which was not disclosed in the request for the warrant. Also the connection with Bruce Ohr who was Asst dep attorney general of the DOJ was not disclosed. His wife worked on the research, this too was not disclosed. Also Steele was on record that he was desperate and passionate to keep Trump from being elected.

So its not a matter of wether Trump was guilty ( i think he is), it is more of the lack of transparency when the requests were being made for the warrant.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Boom.

Obama administration has been caught colluding with the FBI to sabotage Trump's campaign, to Hillary's benefit.

Democrats - you are the ones conspiring to fix a Presidential election, not the Russians!

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If this destroys the disgusting, should be illegal, abusive, FISA court system then hallelujah!

Who knew liberals were so in favor of protecting secret laws, secret judges & appointments, no oversight, spy on us public approving, FISA?!

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A few folks on the right that want to grill my responses, but look I stand by my stance that in the end, the negatives of releasing this outweigh the political positives.

The more the facts come out in real time, and over the next couple days, the more this looks like a hot piece of political garbage. If you care about "FISA oversight", this is about the worst way to do an objective and productive oversight investigation.

Essentially this will gain a few hot cycles of Hannity and Fox & Friends viewers, but in the end, it will make Trump look more and more guilty to Democrats and Independents. Like everything Trump does, this just feeds red meat to his "base" at the expense of everything in the way including his own FBI and DOJ.

And this is NOT the evidence he needs to fire Rod Rosenstein and Mueller. He probably still will fire them both, and might even get away with it since Paul Ryan is an active contributor here to Trump's slow burn Saturday Night Massacre. However it doesn't give him the cover folks here might want him to have to make that excuse.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well McCain seems to really support releasing the memo. I'm curious how far this thing keeps going. It is really going great for the U.S. right now.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

End of the day, this investigation has already yielded multiple indictments and multiple confessions. As you tie your brain in knots trying to rationalize how, legally, this investigation somehow never should have happened, please remember it has uncovered real crimes with national security implications.

Agree with that. As the subject of criticism, they don't really have a say in how much weight we should give it. Still think this memo is bs though.

The letter includes an edit requested by the FBI. That may have rendered safe the doc we see, while the one they previously wanted to release was problematic.

No. The memo says: “Deputy Director McCabe testified before the Committee in December 2017 that no surveillance warrant would have been sought from the [court] without the Steele dossier information.” McCabe does not say that the FISC wouldn't have granted it. He says the FBI would not have tried. So, if you're going to go by THEIR WORDS, get the words right; they have meaning.

Moreover, they wouldn't have tried either because they'd think they could not succeed, or because they were not themselves convinced without it. If their plan was to lie to the court, I don't see why the appearance of the dossier would have mattered to their success; they could just lie about a dossier. If it was the latter case, that means the FBI, in their own hearts, were convinced by the dossier.

Salacious and unverified doesn't mean inappropriate for the FISC. The standard is probable cause, not beyond reasonable doubt. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me like a lot of people are perhaps overconfident in their ability to judge the worthiness of salacious and unverified evidence to be fake and inadmissible. That includes Devin Nunes who is also not a lawyer. If they can get a judge to agree with that assessment, I'll pay attention.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My main concern is that enough was omitted from the memo to make it unreliable as far as the accuracy. I'm more than happy to expose and hold accountable any problems with the process.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Too much noise. At the end of the day. If Trump fires Mueller because he is being investigated, then the next democratic controlled Congress should impeach him for obstruction of justice. If Trump is clean as he professes ("no collusion with the Russians!", then he has nothing to worry about.

12. Cranberry_Juice

I get your point, but i doubt much was changed or it would have gone for a revote.

13. TheresTheDagger

Investigate, yes. But that doesn't really have anything to do with what was revealed in the memo.

The FBI should have disclosed EVERYTHING they knew to be true about the dossier to the FISA judges so he/they could make the best decision possible.

They didn't.

The result is a potential 4th amendment violation of an american citizen being perpetrated by the most respected law enforcement agency in the country.

Not the institution of the FBI. Only select partisan people at the highest levels of the Obama appointed FBI. Moreover, they aren't simply enemies of Republicans. They are enemies of the Constitutions 4th amendment which endangers ALL americans.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Really now is it i thought it was the russiagate.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps. I'm not talking about the hubbub of the changes that were made by Nunes. I'm mainly concerned about the fact that the FBI has issued the statement that because of the ommissions the memo doesn't paint an accurate picture.

I don't think that Nunes and his crew were too concerned with painting an accurate picture and putting anything to a revote.

16. Cranberry_Juice

True, but you can't discount the fact that the FBI is trying to cover their ass too.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade is too emotionally invested to think clearly. He's embarrassing himself here.

18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

What a crock. All process crimes and nothing to do with the supposed reason for the investigation. Thus far there has been no evidence of any collusion with Russia to interfere with the US election. We know this because the Mueller investigation leaks like a sieve and if they had ANYTHING at all, it would be all over the place.

Russiagate is a dry hole. I’m all for letting the investigation run it’s course because unless they just start flat out fabricating things, Trump will eventually be cleared of any wrongdoing. I’m sure Mueller will try to stretch his investigation out as long as possible for maximum distraction and damage to the Trump presidency. After all that’s what this is really about in the first place

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Other than the two indictments, Russiagate is a dry hole! LOL

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So basically you have a memo where they won't give you any info and then say trust us.