1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: "Houston has a top 3 worst crowd"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Is Simmons right?

1. Yes

387 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Media conspiracy

24 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not if they don’t win a championship.

The Astros were irrelevant for 5 years. They literally had a 0 rating for a game that was televised.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Management can’t make a city fall in love with a team.

The team has to do that.

As good as this team is right now, they aren’t all that likeable... which certainly can change if they win it all.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Unfortunately most long time fans, deep down, would say the same thing.

That’s part of the problem when trying to generate passion.

Cities that watch a team grow also develop more attachment. Getting good in a hurry, with Harden then Howard, was actually not a strategy to build loyal/long-term fans.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not going to read this whole thread. I'm just going to assume it's 12 pages of people being like, "Yeah. We're a pretty shitty crowd." Because we are. We're awful.

On a related note. I went to the last game we played against the Spurs and had passes for the Tundra Lounge or whatever. Do you guys know there are couches with tvs down there and pool tables? Who the hell goes to the game just to sit on a couch and watch it on tv like they're at home? Who goes to a game to play pool? Honestly I'm even puzzled by all of the activity at the bars. Why would you just hang out at the bars there and buy wildly over-priced drinks after already having paid for an expensive ticket? If that's all you're going to do why don't you go to a regular bar for free and drink moderately over-priced drinks all night?

s3ts and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Is there a theory behind why this exists?

6. Nivos

Nivos Member

Things dont Just happen. If a city with over 4 million people can't get a stadium of less than 20,000 seats be full and responsive every other night than something is wrong with the product or marketing.
    They managed to sort it in Dallas with a much worst starting point and far less superior team.
    It has to be a point of emphasis to the management. As important as building a contender, they have to find a way to get the people involved.
    That's what a sports team is all about- the fan base.

s3ts likes this.
  7. rocketseagles07

This is such a stupid take. As many bandwagon warriors fans as there are that place was ALWAYS LIT!!, If you don’t support the squad through thick and thin foh when they get good.

Fair weather fans don’t deserve the rewards of having a great team if they don’t support when things are bad

8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

*shrug* People are weird like that. A few years ago I went to see WWE Raw and there was this guy sitting next to us. Nice guy who talked about how he had dreamed his whole life about getting to see Raw (kind of a weird ambition, I thought, but whatever). Then a short way into the show he disappeared. My wife got up to get a snack and saw him drunkenly hanging out around the beer stand. Maybe the show didn't live up to his expectations? I dunno.

s3ts likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's a leisure center not a battle arena! !

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s not hard to get behind one of the greatest teams of all time.

Besides, they have players that fans absolutely adore... even non-NBA fans love Curry, its sickening.

Does the city of Houston love/embrace this Rockets team? No. I’d say they haven’t really embraced any Rockets team since Yao retired.

Houston is as fair-weather a sports city as there is in America. And they hold the NBA to even more of that superficial standard.

In the end, the city fell in love with the 90’s Rockets only after they started winning. There was an instant connection to Yao as soon as he was drafted. This team?

s3ts likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That’s the rationale for why they can usually sell out games, and playoff games are generally very well attended and the fans usually show some increased fervor.

But right now, even with a sellout crowd, there’s absolutely no juice in the arena. I believe this city has yet to find a reason to be passionate about this team... Harden/Paul/Ariza/Gordon weren’t drafted here or grew up in this system... and they’ve yet to come close to winning it all.

Seeing how Houston teams have traditionally supported these teams, usually there’s something along those lines that has to happen.

12. pageC4

pageC4 Member

Interesting to see this discussed. I assumed that the Rockets would have more interest, especially now with the addition of Paul and having a team that will most likely go to the western conference finals

13. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The Rockets have teased for the past 20 years or so. They haven't won anything except going to the WCF a few years back. They always disappoint in the big games. When they win something relevant people will get interested.

Oh and the in game entertainment is boring, especially halftime!

14. pageC4

pageC4 Member

well, it sucks to know that despite the playoff appearances people lost interest. I'm curious, are there a lot of Warrior fans in the Houston area as Well? In L.A. it seems like there is an excessive amount

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

shouldnt title read Houston Has instead of Have

16. Nivos

Nivos Member

I thought of it actually, but Im pretty sure Simmons said Have so I kept it like that. Not sure how English works sometimes. Its the weirdest language.
    Will be happy to change if it bothers anyone.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

the proper form is "houston gots..."

18. Nivos

Nivos Member

Also not sure that "Top 3 worst..." is propper English, or makes sense in any language. And When he reffers to it as "crowds" not sure if that is right.
    Lucky I can blame Simmons for that and not my poor English.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He probably said "[does] Houston have"

20. josh_is_white

josh_is_white Member

Our crowd is probably the worst fan base ever. I’m a season ticket holder and every game I go to is so quiet.