1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's better now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Dec 7, 2003.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe you should tell that to Zo who Yao embarrased when he did a drob step baseline move from about 15 feet that ended in a one handed jam. Maybe you should tell that Elden Cambel who watched as Yao spun to his right from the baseline and hit a beautiful sky hook. Maybe you should tell that to Theo Ratliff who got backed down by Yao and had the ball suffed right on top of his head as Yao Ming yelled in his face earning his first ever tech for taunting.

Maybe you should tell that to Amare and the rest of the Phoenix Suns, a team that has absolutely no answer for Yao Ming.

Nov 14th
    21 pts 14 rbs 2 blks and Rockets win

2. crash5179

DreamFranchise1

I just wanted to add that Kareem did not get to be on of the best ever centers by playing phisical and backing his man down. He simply turned and dropped the sky hook on them so don't tell me finess can't work. And you should know that Yao Ming has a larger index of offensive moves then just about any center in the game today.

3. spydermex

spydermex Member

Where did stephon learn the word clairvoyant, isnt to big for his vocab, he must have word of the day toilet paper.

4. yubojiang

yubojiang Member

In addition to all pts u have made, yao outplayed amare in most games. also, Sun's current record is terrible

5. Franchise4Life

Interesting post. I would agree with basically everything besides the statement that Amare will be the best PF in the league in a couple of years. I see other young PF's just being better than him. Jermaine O'Neal, Tim Duncan(Hes only 6 months older than Kobe), Zach Randolph(Very surprsingly dominant), and watch out for Chris Bosh on the Raptors. Though I do agree he will be close to the top...just dont think he will be the best at his position at any point in his career.

BTW....Yao Ming owns him!

6. DreamFranchise1

Hey not sure if you notcied, but there wasn't a guy named Shaq playing in the 70's and 80's. Today is completely different. If we want to win the whole thing, we have to beat the lakers, which means that yao has to be more physical in the paint. His shooting won't help us when we need him to be a body in the paint to grap rebounds. The finess game absolutely doesn't work for centers with Shaq in the league. Plus, there is this guy named Karl Malone on that team also that is much more physical than yao. We don't have a ****ing chance in hell to beat that team until Yao man's up and decides to be MORE PHYSICAL. That answer your question?

Rack em! I'm out

7. DreamFranchise1

Well, I can't say that you are lying here. All these events did occurr. But, you just proved my point for me. You can actually name all the times that yao has acted like a dominant center in this leage in one sentence. We need that every play every game. Not every now and then so that people like you can ride yao's dick all the time. Oh, kudos to yao for getting his first technical. I can alomost guarantee that is the most emotion we ever see from yao until he decides to let his balls hang. Think before you post something people. Yao isn't even close to being dominant the way Shaq is. PERIOD.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

Dream, the Rockets aren’t going to be contenders this season, so it really doesn’t matter if the road to the championship is through the Lakers. As long as Shaq is the best player in the NBA the Rockets are probably not going to be winning any championships. It doesn’t matter how physical Yao plays, the Rockets aren’t going to beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. Yao’s time will not come until Shaq retires or his body has been worn down.

9. DreamFranchise1

I couldn't agree with you more. These idiots are trying to prove that Yao is a good basketball player which he obviously is. However, being a good player is a lot different than being a dominant player which is what Yao has to become if we want to return to glory. There is no way Yao could hang with Shaq in a 7 game series and even if Shaq went down, Malone would man handle him almost as badly.

10. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Didnt we beat the Lakers last year in an Overtime game? The New England Patriots were a 14 point underdog to win the Superbowl 2 seasons ago. Were'nt the Lakers the favorite to win the Championship last year?

Yea yea I Rockets arent contenders, I agree. But lets not give them a reason not to play hard. I'm just saying that anything is possible. With hussle play, determination and smart basketball we could make it into the Finals.

11. crash5179

Your right but there sure as hell were guys named Wilt Chamberlain, Moses Malone, Bill Walton, Hakeem Olajuwan, Maurice Lucas, Willis Reed, Patrick Ewing, Wes Unseld, Artis Gilmore...etc...and the list goes on and on. Kareem played against a hell of a lot better competition on a nightly basis then Yao Ming will ever face. There were a lot more physical centers back then as opposed to today.

12. crash5179

Don't kid your self. Watch a game or two if you really think that those are the only times that Yao Ming did anything other than a fade away. Those were just the first ones that came to my mind. I highly suggest watching some games. Yao Ming has twice as many moves as just about any other big man in the game. Period.

13. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Tell that to Otis Thorpe.

But, I do agree that Yao is better than Amare and I also agree that he needs to develop fundamentals if he expects people to keep comparing him to Yao.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maybe Amare should get his eye un-LASIKed...He won the ROY award last year with 20/400 vision in one eye without wearing contacts...of course, that's probably why he couldn't make a shot outside 7 feet...

15. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Amare is now out 4-6 weeks.... His team lost to the 19 straight loser Magic! :D

16. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Without Hakeem, Otis can't carry the team.

17. tothomas

tothomas Member

MFW2310,

I thought Thorpe carried the team for a couple of stretches when Hakeem was injured.

dsnow23,

I don't know how much of comparrison you mean to make between Amare and OT, but I think OT used alot of low post moves/technique to get his dunks. Amare seems to either overpower someone with athletisim or he doen't score.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't think there is a question in any reasonable persons mind Yao is the better player this year and will be as long as Yao is healthy.

Now last year was close. As far as ROY, here were the key factors:

Things that favored Yao:
    -Yao had slightly better stats
    -Yao's team made a greater improvment in W/Ls
    -Yao had a stronger impact on the game as he became the focus of other teams D with Amare was 3rd option at best

Things that favored Amare
    -His team did make the playoffs
    -He showed less signs of the rookie wall
    -He wasn't a foreigner who felt the reactions from mad and misguided Americans who wanted someone else to go #1
    -He had lower expectations not being the #1 pick
    -He made SportsCenter a lot more

Personally. I think Yao should have won the ROY because he was the best rookie player. He had the best stats, his team made more strides in winning %, and such improvement was much more easily traced to him (for the Suns it was pretty obvious Marbury made the difference). However overall Amare's stats were close enough to Yao's and Amare's team did beat Yao for the last playoff spot narrowing the gap between them. In the end I think the last 3 reasons for Amare--which I personally think range from just bad reasons to flat awful reasons--made the difference. I don't think too many people would question if Yao went to the Suns and Amare to the Rockets the Suns would have clinched the playoffs far earlier and the Rockets would have been farther back--but luckily for the Rockets that isn't how the draft went.

Overall, though Yao was better, Amare's stats were close enough to legitimize voting for Amare w/o looking like a xenophobe even though that probably played into it some. So though I was dissappointed somewhat--if Yao had distinguished himself more those other straw arguments could not have been introduced w/o coming off terribly bad, but he didn't distinguish himself that much from Amare and allowed people to be comfortable enough in their selection of Amare.

In the end though, I'd much rather have runner to to ROY Yao than ROY Amare. The Rockets have had great players before that did not win ROY and plenty of other teams have had ROY who are not so distinguished in their careers.

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Don't for get "H.S. player."

One note...

"Sports Center" could also mean "more agressive" and "more dunks."

So, there's more to it than just "Being on Sports Center." It's not just simply being on the highlights, for the sake of being on the highlights. There was a reason for it. He was more assertive at the end of the season. Add the fact that it was a H.S. player doing it.

Both sides had a "story." On was a H.S. player making an impact, the other was a foreigner in a strange land making an impact.

20. crash5179

Otis was a 20 pt 10 rebound a night man before he came to the Rockets and when he was the man. Playing with Hakeem hurt OT's stats but Otis was a professional and willingly took backseat to Hakeem.