1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And people like you call things in a fantasy series "impossible" despite completely accepting TONS of absolutely ridiculous things.....you just draw the line at someone being able to slightly nudge themselves in the direction of a ship in space and being able to use the force to remain alive for a few minutes while in space.

Everything else is completely possible apparently.....just not that.

It sounds a lot like people looking to complain. Imagine if you went into the first films b****ing about how it was impossible to use telekinesis to have a lazer sword fly across the room to you.....or that lazer swords were "impossible"

Either you buy into the universe they've created or you don't. Don't buy into it inconsistently. They've set up a universe where things like force barriers and breath control are not only possible, but are common. You can think those things are impossible.....because they are, but if you take that position, you have to say the same about EVERY force power.....because they are all "impossible"

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Have to add, you have got to have an IQ of 50 to not get why this movie sucked. It's such a lazy script...I guess that is typical of Hollywood these days, especially big blockbusters.

Jmcballer88 likes this.
  3. FaBo

FaBo Member

Saw it yesterday and, unfortunately, have to agree with the critics. I didn’t like the film at all, would give it a 5/10 at the most. A lot of the things I disliked have already been mentioned, so I’ll try to be brief.
    - Everything involving Snoke. You can’t have a character this powerful come out of nowhere and then kill him off with no explanation whatsoever. He is so powerful that despite not having been mentioned even once in Episodes 1-6 (assuming he is not Plaguis, which he most likely isn’t) manages to become the leader of the First Order. Adding to that, he is extremely powerful with the force as we see him essentially toying with Rey who in turn is so powerful that Luke is initially reluctant to train her and also facilitated the entire “force connection” between Rey and Kylo, yet he doesn’t notice Kylo messing with the light saber right next to him? Get outta here with that crap. The only thing that even remotely makes sense here is that Snoke knew Kylo was thinking about killing him and let it happen, knowing that only then would Kylo be truly on the dark side.

- The pointless Finn/Rose subplot has already been mentioned, but I simply have to talk about it briefly because of how awful it was. First of all, get the eff out of here with these political statements in a freaking Star Wars film. I know that slavery is bad, I know that animal cruelty is bad and I know that people benefitting financially from wars is bad, I don’t a damn Star Wars film to tell me that. And Rose saying something like “now it was worth it” when she frees the horse-like animals is just ridiculous. All of your friends are going to die, the resistance will be wiped out, but you freed some animals that will likely be caught again anyway. Good for you.
    Also, they were indirectly responsible for all these transporters being destroyed since it was Benicio’s character that told the First Order about the escaping ships. But hey, at least they tried, I guess.

- Holdo. Was I supposed to be emotionally invested in that character? Admittedly, the hyperspace destruction scene was awesome, but it would have had so much more of an emotional impact if it had been Leia sacrificing herself, or even Admiral Ackbar. Instead, we have a character that was introduced like 10 minutes before and no one gives a damn about. Great.

- Leia going all Mary Poppins. All has been said about that. Not even Jar Jar was as ridiculous as this scene. Yes, I’m serious. Give me Jar Jar all day over that crap.

- Luke’s part I’m somewhat indifferent towards. I understand the criticism, but personally don’t really mind it. I don’t really like it either, though. It would have been absolutely badass if Luke had actually been there at the end, deflecting these massive AT-AT blasters and taking Kylo on. I don’t necessarily mind the idea of him projecting himself, but it took all the badassery out of the scene because you know that he wasn’t actually there and hence could of course not be harmed by the blaster fire and Kylo’s light saber. But then again, he went out on his own terms, so that certainly wasn’t as bad as other parts of the film.

I won’t even get to Rey’s parents and her way too advanced skills relative to the amount of training she’s had because this post is already way too damn long, might address that later.

All in all, I was really disappointed by that film. And that’s coming from someone who actually likes the prequels (especially Revenge of the Sith) and is not overly nostalgic about the OT, so don’t even bother attributing any of that criticism to nostalgia.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

For all the flaws in this film, there was a moment I was almost compelled to applaud; when Kylo Ren tells Rey to let old things die. Snoke, Skywalker, the Sith, the Jedi, the Rebels -- let it all die.

Perhaps, it was only a Freudian desire by the filmmaker to tread a new path, but that fleeting ray of hope for this franchise was quickly extinguished with an abrupt return to space Jesus soap opera.

And with that, I left the theater feeling like the kid at the end; sweeping this heap of rubbish under the night sky, bidding farewell to Luke Skywalker -- another childhood hero so unceremoniously butchered by Sith Disney.

5/10.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. FaBo

FaBo Member

A few things I forgot to mention:

- If you can weaponize lightspeed, why has no one thought of that before?

- The humor didn’t do it for me. That is obviously personal preference, but I felt like it was out of the place most of the time. I really liked TFA in that regard, but I barely laughed at any of the “comedic relief” scenes. Including the stupid porgs.

- I’ve read multiple times now that this film has taken risks - how so? What risks has it taken exactly? It would have taken risks if Kylo and Rey had actually joined, now that would have been cool. But no, it’s the same old light against dark. At this point, it’s pretty much set in stone that Kylo is on the dark side and Rey on the light side, at least to me it would not be believable at all if one of them, especially Rey, turned to the other side in Episode 9.

Anyway, it is what it is. I could go on even more, but what’s the point. I will certainly watch the film again, but don’t expect my opinion to change significantly.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  6. Entropy

Entropy Member

Because if you could weaponize lightspeed the original death stars would've been destroyed easy peasee--which is why the original movies didn't do it. This director decided to ignore that logic in favor of cool visuals and poor storytelling.

And I agree it would've been cool if Rey had joined Ren. Instead she leaves him alive again so we will have the boring showdown in the third movie where she will of course kick his ass. Problem is Kylo isn't a cool villain at all so who gives a ****.

#626 Entropy, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Risks include having a random child (of no "special" parentage) use the force, killing off Snoke, killing off Phasma, killing off Luke (I think), which all sets up the final movie in this trilogy with no villain other than Hux and Kylo Ren and expanding the "jedi" to include regular people.

So going in, there's no Leia, no Luke, no Han Solo and no "omnipotent" villain, which is a huge step away from every other SW movie, because there's no more comfort zone.

I think the critics liked it, while the fans were divided.

You can probably chalk up Snoke not realizing the lightsaber, to his overconfidence? You're right, in that his death was way too easy, but maybe it was that Snoke was both overconfident/lulled into a false sense of security and that he was hyperfocused on trying to kill Rey, at that moment in time.

Finn/Rose was stupid, I agree. I also find it unbelievable that Rose, all of a sudden, loves Finn. That kiss at the end did nothing for me. And I'll agree on Holdo, too. Leia would have been perfect, to be the sacrifice. It would give the Leia character the proper sendoff, and make it less difficult to explain why Leia isn't in the last film (so that they don't have to digitally recreate her).

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

what's truly missing in this new trilogy is an epic song. the original one had the star wars opening credit song that we all knew and love, plus the equally iconic darth vader song. the prequel trilogy has that opera song like when qui gon and obi wan fought darth maul.

this one... had... ghost leia flying thru space.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This is my feelings on the movie, in addition to all the criticism. This movie lacked anything epic of Star Wars. 75% of the setting is on two locations: the ship and the island. Most of the movie is filler. This felt like the Battlestar Galactica episode but less thrilling.

I'm addition to the filler, so many pointless scenes and fan service. Comedy was cringy and basic, no substance. New animal species served no purpose other than for Disney to sell more merchandise. This movie was pretty bland. I'm not a Star Wars fan or anything, just a casual viewer so I'm not hating because it didn't live up to the others.

Rogue One has been the best movie movie of the newest generation. Everything else is only getting by on its ties to Star Wars.

what and mikol13 like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

7/10 as I was able to shut down the logic part of my brain and just enjoyed the ride.

The Snoke thing bothered me the most and just felt very unsatisfactory and frankly almost pointless. It felt like this was two movies in one where they combined Empire Strikes Back and the Return of the Jedi.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Been reading all the posts. This comment is popular, and is really my only interest in replying. Cheers to both criticism and those who like it.

My understanding is not only is this never done before in Star Wars, but Sci-Fi novels in general. Sci-Fi seems to stop at relativistic weapons that are under lightspeed.

Sci Fi also likes to explain hyperdrives/warp speed technology actually warping space or otherwise creating an alternate dimension, which could make it impossible to hit something.

This drive takes ships around the universe by warping space. ... "Star Wars": This universe has certain ships that use a hyperdrive. The use of "hypermatter particles" allows a ship to go at the speed of light and then move in between stars in an alternate dimension called hyperspace.
    read more: https://www.space.com/32712-warp-drive-hyperspace.html

So, maybe hyperspace makes it actually impossible to ram planets like a relativistic weapon, from a physics standpoint. And further makes it impossible to ram a Death Star by jumping into "alternate dimension."

Maybe the ship wasn't quite yet at hyperspeed at collision??

So, for this to make sense to me, maybe a ship can create the entry point into hyperspace a relatively short distance in front of them, thus ram another ship at under light speed like a relativistic weapon. As for X-Wings taking out the Death Star, still, the energy would be limited to the mass of the ship, and maybe an X-Wing wouldn't really do much to a Death Star at even its highest, under-lightspeed ramming speed.

all that said, I'm not a huge Sci-Fi novel reader, so would be interested in others chiming in as to whether there is precedence for ships in hyperspeed or warp speed actually running into planets and stars if they want (or by accident), much less another ship. @B-Bob

12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Kylo was also using the force to turn his own lightsaber at the same time as Luke's/Rey's to mask it. Snoke was describing it as it was happening, he just saw the wrong one.

Overall I enjoyed the movie.The only real WTF moments for me was the Peter Pan Leia and keeping the plan a secret from Poe causing him to go mutiny. About the mutiny, did Leia shoot the door off with a blaster or did she force push it when confronting Poe? One more question, was the "I have a bad feeling about this" line in the movie?

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I don’t understand this argument about how Jedis only come from one family, and it’s a risk to show that Rey is a nobody with Jedi powers. Where is this coming from? A force-sensitive person can come from ANYWHERE. The prequels showed this. The Clone Wars cartoon showed this. Even the freaking The Freemakers Adventures LEGO cartoon showed this.

14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This.

I think there was collective amnesia by everyone who thought this was somehow a new development or groundbreaking when you have Jedi from all different species and races shown in the prequels. Even the youngling Jedi in training that Anakin murders were a mixed basket.

Heck, here's a complete list of Every Jedi Ever.

I don't know how this stupid idea came about that Jedi can only be from the same family.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it was, but it was "said" by BB-8 so you have to sort of use context clues to realize that is what he said since it's just beeps and whatnot.

Blatz likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I am sorry to be of no help, but I'm actually not a sci-fi reader at all! Lit snob. But love me some movies!

In terms of science, all the warp stuff is silly but who cares.

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It came from the fact that 90% of the fan theories about Rey were about her being Luke's kid, or Leia's kid, or Han's kid, or a kid born by the Force like Anakin Skywalker. The only fan theory I saw that didn't include that family was that maybe she was Obi Wan's kid.

It actually was pretty risky for them to go with normal parents.

Also, I feel the need to say something about the "political" statements. We all know that slavery and animal slavery is wrong, but it's pretty rampant in the Star Wars universe. Rose talking about how bad slavery is actually makes a lot of sense because it happens so often in the Universe. Plus, it serves to show what type of character she is. I wasn't the biggest fan of that storyline, but it did make sense to me.

18. VesceySux

This is only my opinion, but I don’t think Disney is willing to take the huge risk of moving forward and completely cutting off the “bankable” Skywalker line after Episode 9. They’ll want to keep their options open, especially if they think the familiar Skywalker name will continue to generate big profits for them. Rogue One with all-new characters (except Vader and Tarkin) did very well at the box office, but The Last Jedi has already grossed 74% of RO’s final worldwide box office take after only 11 days. It may be an oversimplification to say this, but familiar characters sell.

What does this all mean? Well, I fully expect Kylo/Ben to turn to the light side in the next movie (after the 1,437th opportunity to do so) and eventually make Jedi babies with Rey to continue the $kywalker bloodline. (Maybe we’ll get twins named Jacen and Jaina? ;)) And that’s a damn shame, considering Kylo/Ben deserves to die. But Disney likely won’t let that happen, due to “basketball reasons.”

Just my $0.02.

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

We just spent an entire film listening to Kylo talk about letting go of the past. He moved past his idolization of Darth Vader (i mean, Vader did ultimately turn to the light side). He also killed the only person that would have made sense to turn against.

Turning Kylo to the light side in Episode 9 would completely destroy The Last Jedi. All of it would mean nothing. I know that some people wouldnt mind that, but I enjoyed the movie.

20. VesceySux

“Do you want to know the truth about Disney, or have you always known? You’ve just hidden it away. You know the truth. Say it... Say it.”

“They are greedy.”

“They are filthy money traders. Sold Star Wars quality off for mergers and acquisitions money.”

Jontro likes this.