1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's better now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Nb Yao Ming was gathering himself for a final pust to end of the season when guess who takes charge'Larry Smith'. Coach Larry wanted Yao Ming to be something he couldnt be, so Larry Smith cut down on Yao Ming. Thats why IMO Yao Ming lost the ROY.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Well, if it was so "easy (ONE damn game) then Yao should have carried us over that ONE DAMN GAME, right?

It's what you do, not about what you could have done if defense would have been softer (effort under dire circumstances).

This year, Yao IS better than Amare, and under the same circumstances he would have beat out Amare, even if the Suns made the playoffs and the Rockets didn't. The impact is much more clearer and the stats are much higher over Amare.

That's what I mean by substantial. There has to be a something that gives the other player an edge. It was too close.

The Suns' playoffs was the edge, more so than Yao being defended more. The Suns would probably not made the playoffs if Amare had not been on the team. So, it's not just because of Marbury and Marion.

3. DavidS

That could be true. But I also remember Yao being worn out at the end of the season. He couldn't score very much the last 5 or 6 games.

4. Timing

Timing Member

Well I agree you that Yao has a different effect on the game, perhaps bigger effect on his teammates because he's more a focal point player than a garbage guy. I don't think either player could play the role of the other very well at this point. Seeing that Amare has the athleticism though that can't be learned I don't think it's a slam dunk that Yao will end being the better player. Hakeem and Karl Malone are great examples of raw athletes become extremely skilled, of course we don't know if Amare can ever do those things or not.

I am pretty surprised that Yao is outrebounding Amare right now though. That's kind of strange, plus he's playing more minutes which is also strange since he's usually the guy people talk about stamina being an issue.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

It seems like this season the Rox have protected Ming from the media or the media have lost interest in him. It truly was Yao-mania last season just compare Lebron's year so far with Ming's.

Without the extra pressure this season Yao has been solid but no performances to suggest he will be a dominating center in years to come.

Amare and Yao's stats were very even. Amare deserved the ROY award since he had a lower profile and when they did face off Stoudamire outplayed Yao.

6. DavidS

Crash/Timing,

What do you guys think about this. You touched on the topic of skill and athleticism. The idea that each can be learned it a tricky subject.

For example. Hakeem and Malone, first and foremost raw athletes. Secondly, developed skill later in their careers. The negative part of that is that it takes years for those player to develop a total game: cerebral AND physical. If all you have is the physical part, that player will run into a dead-end in development. That's what was happening to Hakeem around 87-91. He just couldn't do it with athletic power alone. He had to develop this other skills.
    But this was NOT in Hakeems nature. It was a stretch for him. He supplemented the raw talent with passing, and team play. But those things were still never his strengths. He still relied more on his athletic ability. Malone, less so (working with Stockton helped Malone's skill development).

Bird, Kareem and Magic are on the other end of the spectrum. They were skilled from the start. Passing, team play, and deception. All cerebral skills that were already honed in their rookie seasons. The physical part came later. Which in my opinion is easier. That type of supplement is better because the hard part is having a natural cerebral game already developed. Those type of players are hard to find these days.... ;) ....

Yao is one of those players. That's where Yao has a HUGE advantage over Amare. Amare relies on his strength. Yao relies on his knowledge (skills). The physical part will come for Yao. But he doesn't even have to get to the level of Amare for Yao to become better. He just needs to be half as good physically. Why? Because Amare will not achieve the level of cerebral skill that, to Yao, comes naturally (or has developed over the years; teen years)

Yes, I put more stock on the mental part of the game, than the physical. But both are not mutually exclusive. But the mental part should be the foundation, the physical part should be the supplement.

It's important to note that Kareem and Magic were no slouches physically. But they knew were to concentrate on early in their developement (H.S. and college). And it wasn't just the physical part. And they were that much more advananced on their complete games because of it.

7. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

Yao outplayed Amare and helped the Rockets win 3 out of 4 games they faced off last year.

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

You either didn't watch the games, or don't know what you are talking about. :mad:

--daoshi

9. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

By the same token, Amare should have got Suns into playoffs easily, not just by ONE game!

I can buy the "too close" argument from the stats alone. Then,
    why did you say Amare deserve it over Yao? Majority of the posts here, or the media people either thought "too close to call" with slight edge for one or the other, or believed Yao was much more deserve than Amare because of his role with the Rockets was much important than Amare's with the Suns. Only the Suns' fan truely believes Amare was more "deserve" than Yao.

Again, Suns "playoffs" was the reason Yao lost, but that's what the media saw, I thought the real fans knew much better than just that. If that's the argument, then Francis/Yao shouldn't even be mentioned as all-star candidates since they missed playoffs.

I didn't mean "ONLY" because of Marbury and Marion, but they were more impact/better players to the Suns than Amare. Why are you making the argument based on "if", "probably", at the same time, you discredited the same argument I made?

--daoshi

10. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

they are two very different players with different game. Both are good, but I am sure glad we have Yao on our team rather than Amare.

11. DavidS

He did. That's all it took. End of story. You probably wouldn't be satififed with Co-Rookie, would you? Heh...

Because we don't know what would have happened if the Rocket made the playoffs. That's why? We just don't know. What you are saying is that the Yao should have STILL won the ROY even though we didn't make the playoffs. Most likely Yao would have won it. But we don't know. Do you have crystal ball? Please use it and tell me.

Sorry, but Yao was wore out at the end. Amare was not. Plus, they got to the playoffs. It's how you finish, not how you start. Oh, well...

daoshi -> Right here -> http://www.nba.com/email_us/letters_to_nba.html :confused:

Also -> Right here -> http://www.aaronscanna-amaryllis.com/aaronsfruit.html :mad:

And maybe here too -> http://www.kleenex.com/home.htm :(

12. DavidS

Hmmm more fortune telling? Considering that the All-Star balloting is done at the first half of the season, BY THE FANS. The ROY is at the end, by national sportscasters and broadcasters. Not the fans.

Majority huh? Please don't put too much stock in what Suns fans, or Rocket fan say. Most don't see too clearly when it comes to objectivity.

Please read...
    http://www.nba.com/milk_rookie/roy_030424.html

The more you post, the more your bias comes out. You can not see the *other guys* accomplishments. Not one iota. You only see what Yao did, but not the other guys. Anger, hatred, sour-grapes, and bias will blind you.

Let it go. It's over. It's time for Yao to dominate the next 9 years. Or are you going to still jump around, pounding your fist on the table? "I demand an investigation!" :D LOL!!!

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

You know the funny thing is that Amare Stoudemire wasn't ROY because of Suns fans, it was the Miami/Caron Butler fans that pushed Yao down to 3rd on some of the ballots giving him a lot less points for the award. Butler>Yao....I just don't see it. :confused:

14. DavidS

Ballots? What ballots?

I never saw no stinking ballots... Heh...

15. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Your comments clearly mark the difference between one go-to guy and one not. Yao is the go-to guy in this team, he can carry the team. Amare on the other hand, is still putting up garbage points when it doesn't matter that much.

16. DavidS

This is true. But I wouldn't call him the "go-to-guy" last year. Francis and Mobley still had that "torch" at the time. But Yao was being groomed for the "1 or 2" player, which has to do a lot with potential (and that's my key point on what we should expect from Yao in the next 9 years).

And they shouldn't give out awards on potential. That's why Melo might win the ROY over Lebron. Even though Lebron will probably be a better player later on.

17. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

Their rookie stats are pretty much the same, a lot of voters based their votes on Amare getting the Suns to the playoffs and Yao sort of wearing down toward the end of the season and putting up bad numbers.

From what voters/writers are saying that they based their votes solely on which player got their teams to the playoffs, that is just ridiculous.

So should Shaq not have been named rookie of the year? Should Zo be named rookie of the year instead? Because shaq got his team to a .500 mark or thereabouts but barely missed the playoffs, whereas Zo pushed his team to their first playoff appearance in years.

So what a lot of you are saying is that Yao even though he managed to push his team above .500, he didn't deserve ROY because Amare helped his team to the playoffs.

Amare put up better stats / played better vs Yao when they had games last year? THats BS. Watch the games. Overall Yao put up better stats and helped his team to win 3 of 4, but what Amare did , he intentionally was going after Yao, trying dunk over him and block his shots - in a sense trying to get people to see that he's better than Yao.

When interviewers asked Yao what he thought of Amare, he was humble and honest - he thought Amare will be a great player. When interviewers asked Amare what he thought of Yao, he was arrogant and came off saying something along the lines of - he's ok, but look at me, I'm much better than him.

18. Panda

Panda Member

I heard JVG is gonna train Yao to operate in the low post first before he puts him in the high post. So all is fine and dandy for Yao if he has exceeded Amare in stats and drawing defensive attention, when Amare is playing all out and Yao's playing a restricted offense.;)

19. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

anyway, im sure Yao wasn't too concerned about trivial things such as individual awards/recognition. of course he wouldve been disappointed a little, or at least be considered co-rookie, but what can we do now? nothing, no one's gonna give him back rookie of the year.

he's over it, so we should get over it. he's coming back with avengence and it's what he can do now and in future that we should be concerned about.

20. DavidS

Very true.

Not *soley* but rather it was the deciding factor of many measurements throughout the beginning, mid, and end of the season performance (if you consider all other things were equal, or near equal).

Those that say it was "solely" are not looking at the big picture (the whole season, plus the playoff entry).