1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Who you want to win it all?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Mar 27, 2001.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I will root for the Spurs, Mavs, and possibly the Kings in the West if they play someone like Utah or Portland. In the East I'll go for Philly, Miami, and the sleeper Indiana(assuming they make it). I've always rooted for Indiana in the playoffs when the Rockets are out.

Teams I will absolutely NOT root for are: Utah, LA Lakers, Portland, and the Knicks. Man it would be a boring June if 3 or those 4 were still left.

------------------

2. BigDog

BigDog Member

UTAH JAZZ....I know alot of you guys hate the Jazz but John Stockon and Karl Malone deserve it. Both players are HOFs and as old as they are, they're still on the top of the game. No one deserves it more. Not that I like the Jazz myself, just a avid fan. If they are in the Finals, it will be a boring series because they are not flashy, just good at the DAMN PICK & ROLL!!!

------------------

3. harkm

harkm Member

UTAH JAZZ....I know alot of you guys hate the Jazz but John Stockon and Karl Malone deserve it

Are you nuts? Those losers don't deserve anything.

------------------

4. BigDog

BigDog Member

Harkm,

Dude name 2 players who have been as consistant as these 2. How quick the memory fades, the Rockets WOULDN"T have 2 rings if Mike's dad hadn't got killed. Neither would SA nor the sorry ass Lakers. I'm just keepin it real! Like I said, I don't like the Jazz but I do respect them. Just like I didn't like the Celtics, but still gave them their props.

------------------

5. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Anyone from the West except the Lakers or Portland.

------------------

6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"the Rockets WOULDN"T have 2 rings if Mike's dad hadn't got killed. Neither would SA nor the sorry ass Lakers. I'm just keepin it real! "

thats crap,

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

mgh 1925-2001

7. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

What are you talking about? Better yet what kind of mushroom did you lick? The Rockets were constantly beating the bulls when Jordan was there. Then Jordan came back in time to make a difference, but couldn't even get past the magic who we SWEPT! So you really can't use the Jordan excuse for our TWO titles. I bet if we had made it to the finals instead of "the buffalo bills of the NBA" that next year Barkley would finally have had a ring, Drexler would have 2, Dream would have 3, Michael would have 5, The Comets would only have one more ring than The Rockets and a whole other excuse would be used as to why we won.

------------------

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate it every time I hear that...it's just simply not true.While Jordan is the man,the Rockets matched up well with the Bulls.We had Dream and the interior game(their weakness)which we combined with having Mad Max to throw on M.J.It was a combo that lead us to own the series while he was there.I really wish the Rockets and Bulls would have played,not just because it would have been a classic,but so we wouldn't have to hear anymore of this.Damn those Sonics.

------------------
    If I had my life to live over,I would have liked to have ended up as a sportswriter - Richard M. Nixon,1969

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited March 27, 2001).]

9. BigDog

BigDog Member

"The Rockets were constantly beating the bulls when Jordan was there. Then Jordan came back in time to make a difference, but couldn't even get past the magic who we SWEPT! So you really can't use the Jordan excuse for our TWO titles."

If you really played any sports at all, you would know that basketball and baseball use totally different muscles. In baseball, your weight training is focused totally different than that of basketball. Also, the stamina factor is totally different. Jordan came back with what 30 or so games left before the playoffs and tried to get back into basketball shape. What happened the next full season? Can't remember....The Bulls went on to win the next 3 championships. No offense but, so what the Rockets won the season series against the Bulls. The fact is that Jordan NEVER lost a Finals series. Also, they beat teams who had more talent than the Rockets ever had at one time. The list reads as follows: 91 Lakers, 92 Blazers, 93 Suns, 96 Sonics, 97&98 Jazz. All of these teams were deeper than the Rox. I love the Rox as much as anyone else, but the truth is the truth. If the Rox would have had more than one Superstar during Dreams' prime, things would have been much different.

------------------

10. Gascon

Gascon Member

Jordan never faced the Dream in the finals. Dream had his number. Besides, any team using the triangle offense is going to suffer against a team with a dominant center. Who's the best center MJ ever faced in the playoffs? Ewing?...please. Shaq beat him the one time. Who am I forgetting?

------------------
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."

Douglas Adams

11. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

BigDog, do you really think MJ couldn't get in basketball condition after 30 freakin games? Give me a break. He is one of the most incredible athletes ever. Do you think off season pick-up games and a few exibition games are the reason NBA players usually have their wind and legs by the 3rd week into the season.

Your argument that because MJ was playing baseball instead of basketball prevented him from being in good condition after 30 games is too lame.

------------------

12. DJ

DJ Member

We are talking about the NBA.

------------------

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Philly, Miami, or Portland. Despite Pippen, I like most of the other Blazers. Especially Wallace and Sabonis. I would love to see Zo get a ring. Philly has played hard the whole year. I feel they have the best chance of beating a western team, and there is just something I like about them. They are my top choice.
    I would hate it if the Spurs or Jazz won it. I don't want David Robinson to get a second ring, and I want the Jazz to continue their pattern of failure.
    The Jazz are the last team I would root for.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

14. BigDog

BigDog Member

Lets look at the list of centers Jordan crushed: B. Dougherty, K. Willis, John Salley & James Edwards & Bill Lambeer, Pat Ewing, Robert Parish & Kevin Mchale & Larry Bird(greatest fronline in history), Divac & Campbell to name a few. I agree that none of the centers on this list could stop Dream 1 on 1, but it takes 8 to 9 players to win a championship. Lets compare the Rox of 94/95 to either 3peat team:

Rox starting 5 Bulls starting 5
    F Horry/Thorpe F D. Rodman/H.Grant
    F Elie/Horry F S. Quitten
    C Dream C Longley/Cartwright
    G Drexler/Maxwell G Money
    G K. Smith G Harper/Paxson
    R Cassell R Kerr/Armstrong
    R Herrera R R. Brown/Hodges
    R Bullard R Kukoc/S. King
    R Chilcutt R Wennington
    R Elie R S./ B. Williams

------------------

15. BigDog

BigDog Member

Moe,

All basketball players play in these summer leagues, then they have training camp and then a full season. If Jordan was playing basketball, it wasn't against players that were better than most high schoolers. He was too busy trying to hit a curve ball...lmao...that's why he came back. But he definitely was at a disadvantage against other b-ballers. The funny thing is everyone talks about 95 but what happened in 96, 97 and 98. Again, like I said, the BlackCat had a full year to work with and look at the results, 3 more rings. I wish they could have played because we wouldn't be talking what ifs. It's like saying Oscar Robinson would have been able to average a triple double playing in the late 80's and 90's. We'll never know!

------------------

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Those matchups prove nothing. All they show is that the Rockets had a big advantage at center, and the Bulls had a big advantage at shooting guard. And keep in mind, that Drexler would have partially cancelled out Jordan pointswise. I doubt my mate Luke could have done anything to cancel out the Dream. Those matchups show nothing.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Out of pity.....

They had a pro basketball team all that time and never knew it. They deserve something!!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

18. Band Geek Mobster

I thought Sacramento had a long streak of sellouts even when they were horrible.

------------------
    Mmmm ... open-faced club sand wedge.

19. Gascon

Gascon Member

Knicks.

------------------
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."

Douglas Adams

20. Live

Live Member

Do you realize that Robert and Mario have more rings than Dream?

What's wrong with this picture?

------------------