1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#MakesYouThink] 'Liberal' Bastion San Francisco Cannot Solve Its Homelessness Problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Or its racial inequality problem. Or its open defecation problem.

My favorite line (which the author felt the need to place in parenthesis):

LOL.

#RESIST

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The link was subscribe to read for me. But from what's here this is a very strange idea for an article. Why would the tech culture of the San Francisco area be responsible for solving the issue of homelessness? Why would you believe this article made any kind of a point?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[#toomuchbullshit]

B-Bob, Xenon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How are the conservative bastions solving their homelessness problems?

FranchiseBlade and KingCheetah like this.
  5. nono

nono Member

Conservative bastions don't have a homeless problem. Homeless don't want to live in hick towns.

Xenon and KingCheetah like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There are no 'conservative bastions' -- only America - so your question should read 'How is America solving the homeless problem?'

Answer: The new tax reduction bill will end homelessness in America by trickling down wealth to the unhomed so they may buy a new house and/or condo.

MadMax, Nook, MexAmercnMoose and 3 others like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't wait to buy a donut from the trickle down from the job creators - they obviously are going to use all their new cash to create wonderful jobs for all of us!

KingCheetah likes this.
  8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If you open the link in incognito mode then you can read the article.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually. . . they have homes because of the welfare and government handouts they receive in those hick towns
    But
    that is different than the welfare and governments those. . . ahem . . . other people get

Rocket River

Houstunna likes this.
  10. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

From your article:
    "Solving the problem — or at least making visible improvements — has defeated other officials. Building more homes seems obvious, and more shelter beds are needed, too, but local residents resist both fiercely, and California planning rules provide plenty of scope for obstructionists touting environmental concerns. Even when a site is found and approved, the cost of building is unfathomably high, at $500,000-$700,000 a unit, with expensive union labour one of the biggest elements."

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Because the 1%ers, which lefties like yourself hate, have driven up the cost of living to the point where those driven out of their homes from gentrification now have to live on the street. It seems as long as the wealthy are leftist, they are free to plunder the region at the expense of the poverty.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Homelessness in conservative bastions is not a problem; it is a feature. The homeless need to understand that being homeless is a consequence of their own actions. They need to stop being lazy and get a job.

#12 No Worries, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Channeling my inner Cohete Rojo ...

The tech culture is "educated". The educated "think" that they are smarter than everybody else. Failing to solve problems shows that they are not as smart as they think.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

We should get rid of the tech culture. They can't solve anything. #maga

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

How is an iphone app suppose to solve homelessness which is related mainly to schizophrenia? This is so stupid.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The tech folks may be part of the reason for high costs of real-estate, but they didn't create the system where there isn't affordable housing for impoverished. Again homelessness is due to many things and high property costs are only part of it. The tech industry is only partially responsible for the rise in real-estate costs.

Nook and JayGoogle like this.
  17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Eh, they kinda have. I've had a ton of friends have to leave SF to come to SD or Anaheim or SC or SB, simply because these tech folks are literally pushing them out. I mean my friends make good money($120-$150k) from an absolute value standpoint. They were living in dumpster apartments in Oakland for $3k-$3.5k/mo. When it came down to little stuff, they couldn't get by. One couldn't get a plane ticket home(home is Minneapolis), without trying to cut down food costs even more(eating Ramen everyday and/or fasting). My ex girlfriend literally took a 30% paycut to move to SD from SF, but is actually taking more money in.

Her rent was $4200(2br/2ba apartment) so split rent was 2400/1800(master paid the higher of the two, she paid the lower). Food, electricity, commute destroyed her income(she was making maybe $85-90k a year). Hardly could go out when I came, struggled to come visit me(no car). Moved her for I think a 60k job, lives in a 3br/3ba aprtment for $2800(pays $900 + utilities a month), is actually having a way less stressful life.

SF is really tough. If I was there, I'd honestly contemplate buying a SUV and living out of it. I just have pets, so that'd be hard. I make good money myself, it's just some of these basic analysts in the VC world, or Sr. Associates/Analysts in the tech world(not even MDs or directors, etc.) are making a TON more. I'm talking about like $400-$600k a year. The bubble is really strong.

I mean put this in perspective, in Venice CA(not even SF), Snapchat made an offer to a really brilliant (girl)friend I had. They offered her $180k base, with stock grants over $450k vested after four years. She turned it down, she had three other offers(Altos, FTV, and Google Ventures). She took Google Ventures, her base was over $250k(not sure exact dollar, just heard it was over quarter million base) OUT OF graduate school(Cal Poly undergrad, UT MBA). No idea what her bonus was, but in the VC world I imagine it's prettier than IB. IB base in 2012 when I was doing it was 75k and my bonus was 90k that year(that's from undergrad). I'd be shocked if her yearly bonus wasn't at least $400k a year.

SIL

18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You realize it's HIGH costs everywhere(from an absolute value). Go google the CHEAPEST place you can live in SF. Tell me if that's not high(absolute and relative value to another normal city).

I pay $2,300 for my place in SD. This place in SF would cost over $8k, if there wasn't even a waiting list on it. It's ****ing ridiculous there. Again, as I said in this thread before. My buddies paid $3-3.5k for dumpster units in Oakland. I pay $2,300 for a prime spot in SD. And San Diego is expensive, too.

I'm looking to move to Denver likely, and a place I like there is $1,600. Peanuts compared to this. My entire cost of living would go down dramatically, income tax is half, and my salary would go up by about $20k.

SIL

19. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Conservatives should probably just stay in small towns and leave most of the economic growth to liberals and their cities..... since apparently city problems seem strange to conservatives....

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The question is what the heck is the city doing with all that additional tax revenue from both sales, income and property taxes? Also homelessness has been a problem there since well before the tech boom.

So strange that these guys ignore that