1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rockets be this good right now if we had Carmelo over Anderson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Nov 26, 2017.

?

Would we be better right now with Carmelo or Ryno?

1. We would be better with Carmelo Anthony

49 vote(s)
    33.6%
  2. We are better with Ryan Anderson

97 vote(s)
    66.4%
  1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well Melo is still a upgrade over Ryan but CP3 is the biggest factor in making Melo work. We can't ignore what Melo did to Draymond Green either... Ryan will never do that to Draymond unfortunately.

Exiled likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Olympic Melo
    Road Rino
    Hoodie Melo

These tags remind me of those toy collectors who have no better use of spending small amounts of money than to blow it off on places like hot topic.

They're all the same players. The titles are just unrealized aspirations.

All Melo wants is to play his game and win so he can look back and say he won it his own way. I seriously doubt he would coexist with D'Antoni's system AGAIN without the ball in his hands for 82 games and four possible rounds of playoffs.

Different role, same system. Melo isn't that dumb that he can't imagine what it'd be like and the amount of EXTRA WORK he would have to put in to coexist with two basketball geniuses in that system.

If he really wanted it, he would be playing right here right now.

The only real Olympic Melo is that limited edition bobble head you missed out on folks...

#22 Invisible Fan, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Easy and Mazulis like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

who do you think it might be?

Red Chocolate likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Melo for Ryan at deadline.

Would make both teams better.

OKC has too much inefficient iso players.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I want Paul George...we get him and we have a very good chance of knocking off GS

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think so. I had reservations about Melo from the beginning and got caught up in the excitement of a big 3. The start of this season though has show that Melo is still Melo.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't think we'll really know the answer between the two of them until the playoffs. assuming okc actually makes playoffs. *chuckles*

8. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Didn’t they just get blown out by the FRICKEN MAVERICKS!?!??!?!!!!!!???!!!???!

!!!????!!!????!!!???!!!

!!!
    ???
    !?!!?!!

RiceRockets, Mazulis, s3ts and 2 others like this.
  9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Melo would try to convince cp3 and Harden to play more selfishly and assists would fall precipitously and ISO would climb exponentially

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Melo can shoot those threes Anderson takes we would be the same or better

But Ryan has been surprisingly good on defense and hustle so I don't know. It's not like Melo is a bad shooter

11. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Melo for Anderson? Yes

Melo for Anderson and/or Capela? No

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Melo was a fat, cancerous loser with New York that we didn't want until we got Chris & he wanted to come, then we really wanted him, he's coming, it's at the 2-yard line but then he waived his no-trade clause to go to 'Methlahoma' and he now he's back to being a fat, cancerous loser ballhog that we don't want and we're glad he's losing in 'Methlahoma'. He can sleep in his own bed with Westbrick as George walks next summer.

rabblerabblerabble...
    ;):rolleyes:

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Asking this question after a 15-4 start seems kinda silly. It's obvious to me the Rockets would not be this good.

Improving the offense was the only reason to want Melo over Ryno. The Rockets offense can't be much better than it is.

Considering Melo's ego and Ryno's lack of one, there is no doubt in my mind the great chemistry and fun we see on the court each game would not be there. The Rockets are great to watch because they win and because they are having fun. The lack of conflicting egos is a big reason why.

The actual debatable question is would the Rockets be better with Melo in the playoffs than Ryno. If Ryno pulls another disappearing act, Morey has to cut him loose.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There's one type of player Paul couldn't make better, which is the iso scorer. It's not like he could turn Jamal Crawford into an efficient team player. We were making a lot of assumptions about how Melo would play once we got here, the main one being that he'd play more off the ball. We can't assume we'd get Melo to play that way at this point. He actually thinks the way forward for OKC is for the big three to play more selfish. I don't want any selfishness on this team.

I always thought there were better options than Melo and wasn't even disappointed when we missed out on him, only that we didn't have the chance to get rid of Anderson. But seeing as how Anderson has improved on a lot of his weaknesses and is being more aggressive and efficient with his scoring I can live with him for now.

Red Chocolate, Mazulis, fattz and 3 others like this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's really hard to tell what could of been honestly. I can't correlate what he is doing in OKC to what he would potentially be doing here. It's possible that playing with good decision makers would have made him a different player here.

One thing is for sure, Melo has always been an iso player that takes a lot of shots at a low efficiency. It's hard to say that he would of changed those habits just because he would be playing with Paul/Harden. A lot of us convinced ourselves that we would potentially be getting USA Melo because we wanted things to work here, but there is no guarantee that Melo would have been that player here. Even with the system deficiencies in OKC if Melo was willing to play winning ball, he would find a way to defer more and play a team game, but even with two other superstars he is still playing a selfish game.

Even his interviews are cringe worthy and make me think that we may have had some initial chemistry issues here and we may not have been as good as we are now. It's hard to tell though. Melo was never a for sure thing to work here in Houston. Is not as if we were getting someone unselfish like Durant for example that we could sit here and say, "yep, we definitely would have been a whole lot better". At this point we are a top team with Ryno in the line up.

Red Chocolate, Chanmarr and J.R. like this.
  16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Probably not- but I think Melo's real value (versus Anderson) would have been come playoff time- he'd be one more guy that could wear down defenses over a seven game series. If we play the Spurs, Kawhi would have to cover him instead of Harden. If we play Golden State, he creates a mismatch. Anderson plays his role VERY role and benefits a lot from CP3 and Harden, but he's not a guy who can create his own shot (or at least- nowhere near the level Melo can).

PhilCollins likes this.
  17. jamescar

jamescar Member

There never was a chance to trade Melo and Anderson for each other. Do not know why people have this discussion.
    That was not what the Knicks wanted.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This. Billy Donovan's offense might be the most iso heavy in the league. I believe last year they averaged the least passes per possession, the ball stays "sticky".

Thats good fit for Carmelo personally, but it doesnt make him evolve any. CP3 is one of the most ball dominant players in the league, but he's doing just fine in Houston system so far. Its not THAT much a stretch to think Melo could adjust his game a little.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think it depends on how well we do this season. making the WCF and winning a few games against the warriors will put us on the radar of pipe-dream options like lebron, george, and cousins. maybe love becomes available if lebron leaves and the cavs decide to blow it up. maybe marc gasol if they miss the playoffs and he demands a trade... but that would be complicated since we'd have to move capela then. there aren't than many stars that can move us into the warriors stratosphere, and they're all very unlikely to be in the rockets price range this summer.

a sneaky way to add another scorer would be to trade a pick and some salary fillers for okafor. he can backup capela and still play 20-24mpg. he and gordon would be a hell of a scoring punch off the bench. might not make us better than the warriors but it would be a great way to upgrade the current roster.

20. jacoby

jacoby Member