1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TOTAL GYM...has anyone used it and does it produce results?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emoreland, Nov 27, 2003.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Ive been watching the infomercial on tv and it looks to be the rel deal. Can anyone here tell me if they have one and if it really produces results. Any help is appreciated

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It has crossed my mind to buy one of those. I would like to know also if it works or not.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's ultimately up to you and your effort you put into it as to what results you see. To me, it's just another variation of the Bowflex and I've had one of those for years. I never had any problem putting on some muscle with one of those but, as many are so quick to point out, they apparently are no substitute for free weights. But, I believe you get results based on what effort you put into it.

So, does it produce results? Most certainly...yes...if you put for the hard efforts and don't expect the machine to just give you results without you putting anything into it. I don't care what machine it is...it's just another design that is set up to give you many exercises in one piece of equipment. Too many times people buy these things expecting them to run themselves and you can expect no results in that case.

So, if your wanting to tone up and put on strength and some muscle, then yes I can tell you it will work without even having used it. I can also tell you their trying to sell a product and talking it up like it's the best thing ever.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Nutrition counts for about 70% when trying to shape up.
    20% exercising.
    10% rest.

Of course there is no substitue for free weights, but anything will give you results as long as your nutrition and rest are in check.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i had one about 3 years ago. it's ok for the absolute beginner but you're only lifting your body weight. if you're trying to get bigger you'll outgrow it in a month. however i think now you can get an attachment that allows you to add weights but nothing is better than just using free weights.

6. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

Smoothie King is da shiznit

7. tozai

tozai Member

It's better than nothing. If you're going to get serious about it, then just get a squat rack, barbell, incline/decline/flat bench, weights, and adjustable dumbbells. That's all you need and is cheaper than most of these gimics.

8. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I actually bought a Power Tower for Christmas. Nothing fancy, just a pullup/chinup bar, dip station, leg/knee raise spot, and a pushup bar.

I was going to build a pullup bar in my back yard for about $70 in materials, but I found out I could get this for $90 and decided it was a better deal.

It all depends on your goals though. I've lost 25 pounds on Atkins, and now I just want to build up some muscle and get some definition. I think my own bodyweight will be sufficient for that.

9. tozai

tozai Member

wtf, I meant gimmicks. Gimics...must have been out of it.

What's a pushup bar. Power tower? Do you mean power rack?

Definition comes from diet. You can build muscle just doing chins, dips, and pushups, but there's a problem with this. If you want to add muscle, you're going to have to add weight eventually. Also, just doing pushups and chins will create a muscle imbalance and round your shoulders forward.

There's a lot of other bodyweight exercises to get you in good shape and strong. Just look at how submission fighters train. Lots of bodyweight squats, etc.

If you want to gain muscle though, you'll need some weights eventually.

You might want to switch to a healthier diet than Atkins now that you've lost weight. Maybe Zone.