1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bullpen spending limit this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Sydeffect, Nov 6, 2017.

1. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Spotrac has Astros at $135 payroll before FA with current roster with arbitration raises. I'd guess they'll target around $150M payroll opening day.

Trade Fiers and you have about ~$20M for free agency. Spend most on a reliever maybe the rest on a DH/Utility player.

2. Progs

Progs Member

*Brian

3. raining threes

This money should be spent on re-signing Altuve/Springer/Correa to extensions.

Give me a trade for Britton and signing McGee in FA. Imagine have 2 quality LH's in the bullpen. I could see Fiers/Sipp/Harris traded. Maybe McHugh and a young lower level prospect for Britton.

Hey Now! likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I think you may even be low on your projections. The number of yahoo's running around Dallas with astros gear (obviously new) is cra cra. Am in Florida and seeing it here too. This team is extremely likeable. It's not just an htown thing. I think the dollars are even bigger.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The ownership group is happy financially. I can't remember if it was this year or last year they voted to give Crane like a million dollar salary. He wasn't taking anything before that.. It was around when the evaluation for the Astros came in at 1.2 billion so the owners had doubled their money.

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Don't you dare use the term ownership! I'm triggered. The poor players are all owned by ruthless evil men and have no personal rights.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My hope (but total guess) is that Houston will have enough money to acquire one good reliever (like Jake McGee), one 2nd tier lefty bat (like Curtis Granderson), and make a run at extending one core player (Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Springer, or Keuchel).

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Oh Boy here we go again

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Any attempt by my brain to imagine a lefty pitching to a lefty is temporaily blocked. McCullers and Morton destroying Bellinger with back foot breaking balls is still etched in my brain.

raining threes, Marteen and Nook like this.
  11. right1

right1 Member

Any interest in Mike Minor? He had a really good year. He will probably be looking for 3/30M. They obviously liked Liriano enough to acquire him. I have no idea what his market value is now or if the Astros would still be interested in making him an offer. Maybe a 1 year deal.

12. mightybosstone

The wildcard in all of this will be how they plan to address Altuve, Springer and Correa. If Lunhow and the front office ultimately want to wait until closer to their free agency periods, then I could see them spending some big money on relievers, especially if it's on shorter term (2-3 years) contracts. However, if they plan to start locking those guys down (which I kinda wish they would), then there many not be as much money to spend as it seems.

13. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

Contract Extension for Altuve should be priority #1 before he hits FA after 2019.. lock him down now before he hits the market.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A Granderson would have to come very cheap ($5M?). He struggled so badly in LA and will be 37. Fluke small sample or beginning of the end?

Nori Aoki is a free agent...

I wish I could trust in Jake and/or Fisher so that LF didn't look so questionable

Yes, but not on that kind of deal. I'd like to go to like a 2/$15M or something along those lines since he was hurt for the previous 2 seasons and isn't completely dominating hitters (though he has LHB).

15. Buck Turgidson

Never heard about Crane taking a salary. Can't find anything on google. Interesting if true.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Fans need to remember that a financial apocalypse is looming; they are not going to deviate from their strategy of spending money *efficiently.* I'm sure if one of Altuve, Correa or Springer wants to talk extension, they'll listen.

But the idea they're going to take this windfall of cash and SPEND! - yeah, probably not. I mean, they'll spend... they're just not going to SPEND!

raining threes and Major like this.
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, for all the grief he took... Liriano did retire Bellinger twice, including game 7 with 2 on and 1 out. A giant out in the clincher.

raining threes likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I've never heard of any team owner getting a salary. Not saying they don't, just saying I've never heard.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not be opposed to bringing back Liriano if he accepts he is just a loogy that he will get some longer outings in blow outs.

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Not ragging on Liriano or anything lol, but with some of the pitches Bellinger was swinging at. I think Clippard could've gotten em