1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple people shot at church in Sutherland Springs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 5, 2017.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Have you done any statistical analysis regarding your premise? Or are you making assumptions?

If your argument is that poorer classes are more prevalent in committing crimes such as gun homicides maybe just maybe

HAVING ****ING 300 MILLION FIREARMS circulating around this country is severely exacerbating the issue?

Is that a rational enough premise for you?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And yet another example of someone not being able to dispute what I said and going the ad hominem route instead. You do know that's essentially a concession right?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I did compare Western 1st world countries when I pointed out that the murder rate in the US is comparable to the murder rate in Canada if not for one excessively violent portion of one small part of the country. If we're to assume that the violent segment of the black population is 10% of their population then it means that in America, what separates the murder rate of the US and Canada by and large is 1.3% of the population that commit more murders than the other 98.7% of the population even with the large difference in number of guns in America and Canada. The violent subculture and socioeconomic factors that lead to that 1.3% being so ridiculously violent is an issue that essentially no other western 1st world country faces.

Now I know that might be an inconvenient thing to talk about, but it's true. A small part of a small part of the population is the bulk of the problem in America.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You can’t always expect “someone” that is actually a person that has been talking to you for years and years to always research exactly what you are talking or debating.

Unless I am mistaken and every post you submit to this site is bound with graphs and other statistical analysis.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, but you can always expect someone that is actually a person to always respond to an argument that they disagree with by discussing the argument rather than going the ad hominem route simply because they don't like what was said but lack the ability to refute it.

I can and will expect people to remain silent if they have nothing to add to or about what I actually said.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, the reason I talk about this is that when we focus on murders in the US, there's a tendency to focus on mass shootings which account for maybe a hundred or so but usually not even 100 by what most people would define as a "mass shooting", up to 400 or 500 a year if you use a REALLY loose definition of "mass shooting" when there are something like 15,000 murders in a given year.

Perhaps we should focus on the many thousands of murders a year that are committed by a tiny percent of a tiny percent of the population every single year and think of ways we can change that to put that tiny percent of a tiny percent of the population more in line with everyone else. Just a thought.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

So you're saying if we removed a lot of poor people from the country all violence would decline?

[​IMG]

Why don't we remove all mentally ill people as well? Better yet go a step further and remove all males from America. Evidence suggests that the only criminals are males and women are less violent.

CometsWin likes this.
  8. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-chicago-mentioner

Ah, it's the Chicago Mentioner...

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Why are people even bothering with Bobby anymore? No point in arguing this topic with him.

10. dmoneybangbang

We are doing exactly that...

A disastrous war on drugs and a patchwork of gun laws.

11. Spooner

Spooner Member

After the countless fails he has endured, it's almost comical that he still tries to appear intelligent. I don't really care and I get the sense that for the most part no one else does either at this point. It's honestly kind of funny

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

LOL that's just because of your ad hominem arguments, kiddo. 2nd amendment trucks knives hunting rifles I'm too intelligent for you blablabla

13. TheresTheDagger

Just so I'm clear here...

You are arguing that the laws we have already are causing the gun violence problem....

Therefore more gun laws will fix the problem?

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I feel like Mass shootings are a way of life now just like drug violence is a way of life for my family in Mexico and South Texas. I'm not pro-gun at all (don't own a single one) but I'm anti laws that remove rights, like drug laws and war on drugs. Should all be legal imo and most people believe that would severely minimize drug violence in Mexico if not end it. I sort of feel the same about guns. Banning them will just create an underground criminal market place that will actually make gun violence worse although maybe a different type of violence. Instead of mass shootings by scorned folks, bullied folks, political folks, crazed folks, etc.. it will be gun violence controlling gun territory, underground gun markets, gun gangs, etc... Is that better? Is that worse?

I don't know but "Wars On Something" usually don't work. War on Drugs is a disastrous failure. How would War on Guns fair?

btw... just to clarify more paperwork and background checks is good since it's not a law that takes something away just makes it more prudent. personally i would be okay with laws that allow ownership but not storage especially for certain class weapons. no different than how alcohol is legal but there are micro brew and home distilling laws. for example, handgun or rifle is legal to keep at home but semi or auto must be stored and used at approved facility only. also, require bonded/secure transfer of those weapons if moving facilities. we do the same/similar with prescription drugs. everything is still legal but we've got safe infrastructure in place. if a party or politician came to the table with that i'd support it. problem is both sides are bought so it's ban all or ban none which goes nowhere.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You really can’t be this stupid and still be able to use the internet. So I’m going to assume you are just pretending to be this stupid.

16. TheresTheDagger

I asked him to clarify his position by pointing out what is an obvious contradiction. I'm sure he's capable of answering with logic and clarity.

Meanwhile, what's with the "stupid" insult? Is that your way of conceding the point made?

Maybe try not getting so emotional about the topic, because if you can't you're not going to ever be taken very seriously.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why don't these other countries that don't allow guns struggle with a giant, violent black market in guns? Especially considering that they do still struggle with black markets for drugs.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I hate when people answer questions with questions. It's rude.

Now it's my turn. Find me a country with an appetite for drugs and guns like this country has dumbass. I swear it's no wonder we are where we are. We deserve it.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I don't get it. Even with him on ignore, it ruins threads. ... Not to say this was a very worthwhile thread anyway. LOL.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Yes, laws that cause the disastrous war on drugs and laws that make guns more accessible. Gun laws don’t work well when one can just cross a state line to looser gun laws, like in Chicago Illinois.