1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Behind the Scenes at the DNC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Brazile's always had a big mouth and it looks like she's finally cashing in. The article itself concedes that individual candidates exert control over the party, the only difference being they're already an elected incumbent. The party lost a congressional majority and gubernatorial parity, and probably overspent on consultants and apparently put itself in a tenuous position financially; crude as it is Clinton's campaign at that moment in time was probably the largest cash flow for the indebted organization, she dictated terms that were self-serving but also reinforced that funding mechanism. The bigger generational issue is the extent to which professional high-fee media consultants have overtaken the campaigning process and proliferated high-dollar national ad campaigns and daily high-cost publicity events with round-the-clock charter travel and five-star lodging, then compounded those costs with perpetual mid-term social media consulting on individual legislation. The collusion, favoritism and top-down loyalty has always been and always will be function of this or any other trade or political organ.

Amiga likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

The DNC was horrible. Now we know why.

This doesn't paint a more negative image of Clinton.

#22 Amiga, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Obvious fake. Curious, where did you get this from?

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

5. nono

nono Member

I am surprised Hillary hasn't said yet that there is a chapter in her book about this.

Dark Rhino likes this.
  6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I actually find all this election rigging stuff to be non-sense. Everyone got to vote and every vote counted. Every voter knew the candidate's positions on the issues. What ever advantages were inappropriately gained I don't think amounted to much.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah look I certainly didn't want it to seem as if I was minimizing it, or saying its totally okay. Its not. However nobody should be surprised because we sort of already knew this. We knew the DNC had gone broke under DWS, and Hillary's PAC was needed financially so of course she would purge the party. But yes of course it was not the right thing to do, and I never want to see it happen again.

My point is simply that Tom Perez, Keith Ellison, and others have got to get their crap together ASAP and find a way to get the party on track yesterday. Part of that IMO will be Bernie taking some accountability & ownership of the party as he is seen as the figurehead now of the progressive wing. He knows he got screwed, and nobody blames him for being salty, but if the right thing is going to happen to take back the house, they need his support, and his supporters.

But I totally agree for everything to move forward, Hillary has to be in the rear view mirror. I like her helping out young women get into low levels of office with her new initiative she's planning, and the Clinton Foundation, despite the conspiracy theories, does some great work, but for the sake of 2018, she's gotta be an afterthought really really soon.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

wasnt brazile the one feeding questions to clinton before debates when she worked for cnn?

9. dobro1229

Yes.....However... Not to downplay this or anything but lets be honest, if you didn't know that questions were coming in regards to -

-how will you help create jobs
    -heal race divisions in America
    -how will you secure America
    -Will you accept the outcome of the election?

then you really are a inadequate candidate to run for the presidency. I'm sure its good to know which ones will be asked, but the questions are so incredibly high level that getting handed the questions ahead of time shouldn't matter in the end since you've been asked that question in some way 1000 times before as it relates to you being a candidate.

10. adoo

adoo Member

Brazile's claim should be taken w a grain of salt; as previously mentioned, she is also
    the same person who, while working for CNN, had leaked the cable network's debate questions to Hillary.
    and incompetent.

iirc, she ran Gore's presidential campaign against GWB.
    she attempted to re-shaped Gore's public image , from that being a Tenn nerd to that of a hipster, which pissed off the folks in Gore's home state, where he had previously won every election that he had entered.

her incompetence gifted Tenn's 5 electoral votes to GWB. Had Gore won his own state, Florida's result would not have mattered and Gore would have been POTUS instead of GWB

#30 adoo, Nov 3, 2017
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The problem with Hilary as displayed in 2008 is the way she spent money. She treated both primaries like victory tours

Deji McGever likes this.
  13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Hillary was a bad candidate, Bernie wasn't that much better as a presidential candidate because too many ignorant voter bought Trump's bs last election. It is funny how conservatives keep on talking about Hillary as if she is in the white house but ignore the joke that is currently living there.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the disclosures are part of the house-cleaning process. It could be a step in the right direction to clean up the party and make it effective again.

I don't think it is yet time to compromise or thinking about unity. DNC has a serious problem and it needs some real surgery before healing. That'll mean some ugly bloodletting. The alternative though is to continue to try to compete with a cancer inside and they aren't going to be effective. I doubt they'll be ready for 2018 even if they proactively move in the right direction.

I know some people would like to believe in their free will, but it is empirically true that efforts in marketing, advertising, and public relations have a significant impact on what people think, what they buy, and how they vote. These aren't multi-billion dollar industries for no reason.

I agree (except for the disgusting pig bit because I won't compare people to animals). The DNC is more than flawed. I think it is seriously ill and needs significant reform to be competitive. The saving grace might be that the RNC likely suffers from many of the same problems. It is, in my view, a symptom of the 2 party system our democracy is built upon. We need more competition in the political market to eliminate these poor performers. Likewise with Clinton. I understand she wanted to leave nothing to chance after getting beat by Obama. But she crossed an ethical line in her relationship with the party. She needs to get out of the party and preferably out of the political conversation as well.

15. jo mama

did bernie get the questions before-hand too? if not, then clinton got an unfair advantage...period.

16. jo mama

one thing is for sure...in an election where people were pissed and wanted someone who was anti-establishment the democrats went with the MOST establishment, politics-as-usual candidate possible. also someone who half this country has hated for decades and would never support. they were so desperate to get clinton in there that despite all her baggage they still put her up. they put clinton-worship over pragmatism. they took a stupid gamble and lost bigly.

two things that pushed trump to victory were 1) he was anti-establishment and 2) he was better able to communicate to middle america/working class. those were two of sanders strengths with voters as well and i think would have been enough to counter trump in a way clinton could never do.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Woulda-coulda-shoulda.

The blowback to this was sunk during the Wikileaks releases.

Talking about this again is like reliving the days when Trump scored 4 touchdowns in a hs football game while he sinks the Titanic.

18. dobro1229

She got the questions from Brazile for the CNN hosted presidential election debate. Those were the generic questions she got ahead of time, and Trump didn't. She surely didn't need any help in beating Trump in a debate about issues. She needed help getting her message through Trump's noise. She ran a campaign that was essentially the equivalent of watching CSPAN vs. the Apprentice/Real Housewives. Her problem wasn't winning debates it was breaking through the roadshow circus that was the Trump campaign, and the fact that half the country believe blatant lies.

Brazile is getting this out there to help her sell a book. Make no doubt about it. However she's the one who got caught red handed doing this and is trying to pass along blame to Hillary. These two need to get over themselves and start worrying about whats good for the country and stop with the self promotions and book tours that take shots at everyone else without taking a look in the mirror.

#38 dobro1229, Nov 3, 2017
    Hakeemtheking and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. dobro1229

Also debating Bernie really wouldn't matter anyways, but that's why he's such an effective politician.

He's essentially a broken record where he repeats the same effective talking points over and over, and it doesn't matter the question, he's going to get to his talking points one way or another.

The biggest lesson Trump learned was to steal from Bernie on his talking points..... especially economic ones.

-We have to break up the big banks
    -healthcare for all
    -We have to renegotiate trade
    -need to solve the opioid crisis

Hillary will win the debates all day every day on getting in the weeds with the issues, but she didn't say screw the issues and just talk about what she wanted on a level that was repeated over and over again like Bernie and Trump did.

The major difference with Bernie and Trump though was Trump's willingness to mix all that up with open racism, and the fact that Trump didn't mean a damn thing about what he was saying here, and his policies show that. He was openly courting Bernie voters on purpose because he thinks so little of our intelligence. I feel really sorry for the Bernie voters that actually thought Trump was more Bernie like than Hillary was. Hopefully 2017 has been a big wake up call for those people that thought boring politicians most of the time are a crappy option, but they are the better option than an agent of chaos with authoritarian tendencies.

#39 dobro1229, Nov 3, 2017
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Why, can’t go back in time.

Are you saying that Trump better represents your political ideology than Clinton? It sucks you only had two choices, but sitting out or voting 3rd party was against ones self interests.

2016 wasn’t the time to be butt hurt or principled as a liberal.