1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. tandrus

tandrus Member

Pasting here -

I think we all saw that the bullpen needs major help and I imagine our starting 8 remain the same with the DH being the exception. I'd love to see us make a run at the following people:

LHR: Jake McGee and Tony Watson come to mind as two top options. Both have OK splits and could be used against RH hitters as well. Robbie Ross could be a good pickup if he is OK from his back surgery. Boone Logan could be a more cost friendly option after his down year.

RHR: After seeing Brandon Morrow in the playoffs, I'd be a huge proponent of bringing him in. Other options include Addison Reed and Steve Cishek. Matt Albers and Peter Moylan could come on friendly deals based on their age. Tommy Hunter and Juan Nicasio are also decent options as well.

Closer: Wade Davis is the only big name out there this year. If we are going to spend big cash on bullpen help, Wade should get the call.

DH: Obviously Gattis could fill this role but might be expensive through arbitration. Brandon Phillips and Howie Kendrick are two guys that could take vet friendly roles, although they lack the traditional power of a DH. An expensive, but powerful option could be Jay Bruce (also from Texas). Internal options could be AJ Reed or Tyler White.

A couple other scenarios could be:
    - Marwin to first full time, Yuli to DH and Fisher in LF
    - Reed/White to first, Yuli to DH

I think it's likely only 1-2 moves are made this off season as I think the team leadership is confident in the current team (duh) as well as the young talent coming up. I didn't include any trade scenarios, but we have a logjam at a couple positions and I see one of White/Reed expendable, as well as JD Davis/Colin Moran. Thoughts? Who is on your shortlist?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We need to rebuild from scratch. I see no potential from this roster.

fiersdownbelow and ghettocheeze like this.
  3. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I had read a rumor on the interwebz this morning that Joe Espada, Yankee 3B coach, was rumored to be in running to replace Cora as bench coach. Personally, I would prefer Beltran since he has established relationships with team. However, based on Beltran's post game comments it seems he wants to play 1 more year or take a year off.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Amir's Johnson

Would love to see Hosmer on this team.

QJammer23 likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I can say with absolute certainty they won't be on the opening day roster, but they could both be up very soon, within weeks maybe. We need them contributing, particularly Whitley, because our rotation looks very sketchy long term.

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

It's amazing we won IN SPITE of our bullpen. Imagine us next year when we SHORE UP our bullpen. :eek:

IowaAstro and Tomstro like this.
  7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Saw they’ve actually already announced Cora’s replacement. 3B coach from the Yankees. Maybe give Beltran the assistant hitting coach position since ours just accepted an offer to be SF’s hitting coach?

clutch citizen likes this.
  8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

As long as the bats stay solid or improve. I just think Beltran needs to stay in some capacity to keep Correa happy and maintain the strong chemistry overall.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I want to target guys like Brad Hand, Roberto Osuna or Zach Britton to shore up the bullpen. Maybe someone like Morrow or Watson too.

At DH I would love Bruce or go after Hosmer and move Yuli to DH.

10. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Hardest thing in ANY major sport in the US, is repeating in Baseball. They say that a World Series run is so taxing on people. Lets no get complacent, lets build a dynasty on this!!!

ghettocheeze likes this.
  11. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Does anyone have any insight into what kind of impact making it to and winning the WS has on financial resources for potential FA/player contract moves? Do folks think this means team has some extra juice to make a splash or FA or sign Altuve to an extension?

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Did they forget we only had JV one month last regular season?

craigharmann likes this.
  14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This probably has to do more with the Indians being better than the Nationals. Harder to get out of the AL than NL, so Dodgers have better odds.

Red Chocolate and jim1961 like this.
  15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I love the idea of making Yuli the full time DH. Never thought about that. He's our oldest everyday player (besides Mac?) and it would probably help his longevity. Move Marwin to 1st full time (I dislike his lack of range in LF... great arm as we saw, but he's not a great LF). So who replaces him in left? Or rather who holds down the fort until Tucker is ready?

DJ Fisher?

We definitely need another lefty in the pen not named Liriano or Sipp. I think Musgrove will blossom into an excellent multi-inning reliever.

16. SinceEverSince

Put Morton in as the closer role

K-Lo_The_Future likes this.
  17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

lmao the Astros got Justin Verlander, won the World Series, and still have Forrest Whitley and Kyle Tucker in the minors. We are gonna be so COCCCKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I want Giles to go with Sly Stallone to Russia to train for next season's closer role.

You know..."heart's on fire...new desire!" Get 'er done!

19. conquistador#11

I hope not. I don't want us to become what we hate, like boston fans who act like there weren't decades upon decades upon decades upon decades of suffering.
    like dream, springer and tuve, always stay humble at least in public.

whiskeyred and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

"We?"