1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Desperate but Needed: Francis & Cat for T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ownage

Ownage Member

I just do it to piss of the yao only losers.
    They think Yao is the leader of this team. When Francis is. Yao doesnt have what it takes to be leader yet.. And why do we want Brand? He hasnt been on a winning team yet. And hes got injurie probs now.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Mediocrity smells a lot better than 1-15, the Magic's record.

I've never used RealGM, but I wonder if Francis/Cato/first rounder would work for T-Mac. They need a big guy inside for sure and Cato would be a beast in the east. Steve needs his own team. The Magic would have Francis, Giricek, Gooden/Harvey,Howard/Gooden, Cato. They'd also have their first round draft pick(which would be high), and our 1st round draft pick next year to get a 3 or 2(or both) which are a dime a dozen in the draft. Face it, this team needs to rebuild because T-mac isn't going to carry them for the rest of his career. The Rox: Yao/MoT/T-mac/Cat/JJ wouldn't be bad. Our bench would be really thin unfortunately.

3. Severe Rockets Fan

Here, let me finish your sentence

When Francis is...the guy that has taken us to the lottery 4 years in a row. If anyone's a loser its been the rockets all those years, thanks to your boy.

4. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Well, I hope to God that CD has a dime or two.

Re: this idea: Magic are in tough right now...doesn't mean they're gonna trade their franchise. If we were 1-14, and Yao was by far our best player, would we trade him? Don't think so.

5. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Iverson and Payton has brought their team to NBA Finals. Even Pierce and Nowitzki has brought their teams to the conference finals. How about Stevie? Not even a playoff!:mad:

6. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

At least TMac CAN pass. Even SF wanna pass more but he really just can't.

7. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Come on.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

You're right. Why would we want a guy that can't help his team win more than 1 out of 16 games in the eastern conference. My bad...

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We must be patient -- less severe, as it were. I could be wrong since I have little CAB expertise, but Steve is a base year contract player, so we really can't trade him unless another max contract base year player is involved.

I usally play the "what if" trade game just for fun, but generally would not pull the trigger on these proposals. However, like you SRF, I am getting a little antsy with our continuing lack of passing (and assists) and increasing turnovers. I just hope JVG, CD and staff can get this addressed -- either by trade or instruction -- but right soon.

The Magic would never trade McGrady unless they could to believe he will lose him without compensation. McGrady signed to play with Grant Hill and the hope of Tim Duncan as well. He only got stardust for leaving Toronto. Therefore, Orlando might do it but not until the end of this year, and we would have to assured of a concrete contract with him before pulling that trigger.
    In that scenario, SF + Cato might be enough to = McGrady.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The Magic would never trade McGrady unless they come to believe they will lose him without compensation. -- Sorry, I put on my glasses after I typed that.

I must remember there is no edit function. I must remember there is no edit function. I must remember there is no edit function. I must remember there is no edit function. There is a review function. There is a review function. There is a review function. There is a review function.

11. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

Steve and Mobley for Elton brand will be good.

12. AT

AT Member

Unfortunately, our problem stems from a lack of point guard leadership. I like most aspects of this trade but couldn't stomach the rest of the season with Mooch running the show...

AT

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

contrary to popular belief, Francis isn't even the second best player on this team.

14. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

Houston trades: PG Steve Francis (18.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 5.1 apg in 38.9 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (16.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.2 apg in 40.6 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Tracy McGrady (24.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.6 apg in 38.4 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -9.9 ppg, -4.4 rpg, and -2.7 apg.

Orlando trades: SG Tracy McGrady (24.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.6 apg in 38.4 minutes)
    Orlando receives: PG Steve Francis (18.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 5.1 apg in 14 games)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (16.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.2 apg in 14 games)
    Change in team outlook: +9.9 ppg, +4.4 rpg, and +2.7 apg.

TRADE DECLINED

There were BYC players involved in this trade, so this trade is subject to the BYC provisions of the CBA. Due to Houston and Orlando being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Orlando had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did not happen here (neither met the condition). This trade does not satisfy the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Houston trades: PG Steve Francis (18.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 5.1 apg in 38.9 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.1 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 0.8 apg in 30.7 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Tracy McGrady (24.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.6 apg in 38.4 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +0.2 ppg, -10.0 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

Orlando trades: SG Tracy McGrady (24.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.6 apg in 38.4 minutes)
    Orlando receives: PG Steve Francis (18.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 5.1 apg in 14 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.1 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 0.8 apg in 14 games)
    Change in team outlook: -0.2 ppg, +10.0 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

TRADE DECLINED

There were BYC players involved in this trade, so this trade is subject to the BYC provisions of the CBA. Due to Houston and Orlando being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Orlando had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did not happen here (only Houston met the condition). This trade does not satisfy the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    -9.9 ppg

15. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Don't be ridiculous. Francis is the best player on the team. I'll go out on a limb and say that Ming isn't gonna be as good as eveyone thinks he will be.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I might have not been clear enough about the player we would be getting in a trade like this. IT IS T-MAC GUYS?!! AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE THAT REALIZES THAT? YOU KNOW, T-MAC AS IN ONE OF THE 2 MOST DOMINANT BACKCOURT PLAYERS IN THE LEAGUE?!! SOMEONE THAT ONLY HIM AND KOBE COMPETE AS BEST BACKCOURT PLAYERS? SOMEONE THAT CAN PASS, SHOOT, AND IS A GUY WHO WILL GET YOU 30 CONSISTANTLY PLUS ANOTHER 50 JUST FOR FUN EVERY NOW AND THEN?

Ok, Sorry for the caps. Just donot understand how people can blame this guy for his nasty team losing. Plus, If we get Elton Brand, then we have 2 front court players, I am not sure that any team ever won championship like that. You need a superstar combo of frontcourt-backcourt player to win in today's league, most of the times at least.

As far as leaving Mobley behind, you really want T-Mac and Mobley together? Do you really want Mobley on any team that you would be making a fresh new start with?

Obviously a trade like this cannot happen now, Only if both teams are really looking for change for sub-expected performances late into this season, which already happened for Magic, so just waiting for other dice to fall into place, the Rockets that is. McGrady WANT TO WIN, get that straight. He has already been giving interviews recently blasting the organization and some teamates for the team's performance. I am sure at that point when McGrady goes off on a verbal rampage the Magic would be more than willing to get offers. I think only Rockets and Lakers can offer something good in return for T-Mac. Orlando would be willing to listen then. But Rockets would have to be interested also, I am not sure that the Rockets Organization is all the time involved in talks to improve the team, which I think they should do on constant basis as long as they are not the number 1 team in the West.

17. Charvo

Charvo Member

Maggette is a very nice young player, and the Clippers are planning to offer Kobe a max contract. Clippers aren't trading Brand. Brand and Maggette are Duke buddies. Also, Brand is a 20-10 guy who will be a solid player alongside Maggette for years to come. Add Kobe to the mix, and they will have a playoff team. Donald Sterling has made it known that he will not give big money contracts to guys who can't bring the ring.

good article on paying big contracts to players
    http://rockets.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=26

18. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

OK, let me say again, IT IS A MATTER OF WHO FITS BEST WITH WHOM! You cannot predict outcome by personal stats. Let me ask here just for fun, Would the Lakers be better if Francis and Mobley were in the backcourt instead of Kobe?! Rediculous question, right? Same situation here. T-Mac would fit ten times better with Rockets than Francis and Mobley would, he is much more talented and more aggressive and proven. He would perfectly with Yao and will finally have the inside player every great guard wants to have, it will make his life much easier and will take more attention away from him as far as double teams. He would still be able to score all he wants and will have good enough role players around him to trust and pass the ball to, something he lacks in Orlando now.

As I said earlier, the main components of that trade would be SF/Cat from Rockets and T-Mac from Orlando. I know for a fact that other minor additions and adjustments would have to be made to help the trade go through. That would be up to the teams to work through, but the main components would be constant, make all other adjustments you want to make it work

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Know why Orlando would pull off a trade like this?

1. The Magic's losing is pissing Tmac off. Granted, he's to blame for a percentage of the losses but you can't put it all on him. And seeing how he can opt out of his contract some time soon to be a FA, it's in the Magic's best interest to get something before they get nothing in return.

2. PG's owns the East. Baron Davis, Allen Iverson (well ex PG), Jason Kidd, etc. Now Francis aint' exactly Kidd or Iverson, but he was an equal of BD before he erupted this season. And tack on the fact that Cato would man the center position in a very weak Eastern Conference would mean that the Magic wouldn't have to worry bout putting Howard or Gooden at the 5.

3. To contradict #2 in a slightly positive manner, since they got Tyronn Lue running the point Steve can play that off guard he's been doing for years now. It's like Snow and Iverson or Wesley and Davis. Would the Magic buy into the idea of small ball? Well they're already playing small ball with Howard at the 5.

4. Dump Salaries. Not Tmacs but another player. Either Gooden or Garrity. Since Tmac himself isn't goin to do it, the Magic would need to dump enough salary to make the trade happen.

Gooden
    Garrity
    Giricek
    Gaines

Gooden is the more pleasing choice for the Rockets since he's a lil bit like Griffin except without being a headcase. Garrity has distance in his shot and well, there's always room for another Matt Bullard clone. Giricek...now why would the Magic do this? Well for starters, this is the last year of his contract and IF the magic decides that he'll walk away, they better get something in return. Gaines...beats me.

I mean there's probably plenty of reasons that the magic WOULDN'T do this but the rockets organization wouldn't know if they didn't try.

And i'm willing to bet that i dont' need to make a list of reasons for the Rockets to do this trade.

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Steve has incredible athleticism.....and that's about it. He MIGHT be the best one on one player on the team, but unfortunately, that doesn't do the Rockets much good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.