1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reason why Yao does not get as much heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman113, Nov 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. wfchan

wfchan Member

Check out the efficiency ratings and we all know why Yao gets less heat.
    Yao is still third among centers after 14 games despite a poor fg shooting night (Shaq & Brad Miller)
    Steve? Way behind B. Davis, J. Kidd, Kobe, Marbury, Iverson, and Bibby, slightly lower than Arenas and Lebron James, but slightly better than Payton, Nash and Cassell.

2. chrisrobin

chrisrobin Member

I only caught bits and pieces of the game last night, I was shocked that Franchise couldn't follow-up on a stong first half. And I was equally shocked that Yao stayed focused despite a poor shooting night, he could have gotten frustrated and missed a bunch of free throws.
    what bothered me was how well Raul lopez played against an all-star point guard. I can't remember the last time Gary Payton or Jason Kidd was abused and outplayed by a rookie. I give Lopez credit though coz it took skills to hit those clutch 3's toward the end of the game. But if Steve has a bad shooting night he needs to understand his OTHER role of distributing the ball and contributing other ways like rebounding and defense. I hate to compare Jason Kidd coz he's such a pure PG, but he dosen't score 20 a night, but he takes over the game doing the little things.

3. qrui

qrui Member

interesting observation. i was wondering about that. i didn't watch the game but from the box score yao had 16 ft attempts which could be converted to about 8 fg attempts, plus his 3-15 he actually shot ~23 times. that's pretty impressive.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Yao's biggest problem is his inability to create space before he shoots. That's why so many people block his shot. By the time he turns around, they are right in his face. Also, when he fades, he loses about 2-3 inches of height .

Calvin Murphy was dead on last night. Yao needs to use the hook shot more often. He should start at the low left block and move across the middle.

And if someone comes to double when he makes the move, he can kick it out to the open shooter.

If he can go across the middle more often, his spin move to the other side will be even more dangerous.

5. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

I would love to have Steve Nash at this team as a PG (He is available next yr right?) and SF3 can be moved to 2. Plus Yao as a C and Cato as a PF, EP as SF.
    Next yr baby.

6. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Really? I noticed him coughing on the free throw line.

7. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

How did u know? Where did u find this info?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No excuses !!! Once you cross that line onto the court leave your whiny excuses behind.

DD

9. dback816

dback816 Member

How do you that when there are a hundred defenders around you? If Yao is strong as Shaq and can EASILY overpower anyone, I think it's safe to say that he will be smart enough to do it.

However, even if Francis inherite Stockton's or Magic's court vision and passing games, he will never be smart enough to use them. Cause he is that dumb! Watch all the things he has done, interviews, clutch decisions, 2001 dunking contest where you had to copy the classic dunks, etc. He is NOT SMART. People talk about he lacks bball iq, I say he lacks iq period.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

I agree completely.

He’s should give the defender a small bump before taking his shot. Yao is making it far too easy for the defender to alter his shots. Even his hook shot is being altered or blocked due to his inability to get some space between himself and the defender. He’s the only big man that I’ve ever seen that actually fades away from the basket while shooting a hook shot. Some of the shots he's has taken lately have just looked wild. Very un-Yao like.

11. quake99

quake99 Member

I noticed late in the game Yao started bumping and bumping and using his strength against opponents after being blocked repeatedly...

12. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I'm happy that Yao got to the line, but you cannot ever justify shooting that poorly! And there is a difference between going 10 for 10 and getting 20 points, or going 2 for 15 or whatever and getting 16 freethrows. The first one isn't missing 10 or more shots.

However, Steve deserves more heat than Yao for this game. Way more. He was getting dominated on both ends of the floor by rookies. I've given up hope on him. I still think Cat is salvagable. But if we could trade Steve and get an all-star caliber player at any position, I would.

But just because one player does worse doesn't mean the other is exempt from criticism. There is no excuse for Yao, he was playing against Greg freakin' Ostertag.

13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Jesus Christ. I've never openly insulted anyone on this board, but you are a ****ing idiot.

14. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

I don't think Yao deserves the heat. Francis is putting the team on his shoulders and failing. If he wants to be the leader, then he must accept the blame.

I think one problem, and lots of experts always say this, is the leader/superstar has to make his teamates better.

My big question is, does SF make his teamates better?

At this point, when Yao is on, he is making the team gel. But Francis doesn't consistantly make his team come together.

I don't know if Francis is hardwired to try to take over games at the wrong time or what...

I wonder if JVG is already plotting his mid season moves.

15. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Alright first off the reason Yao gets into foul trouble is because of our guards lack of defense. When stevie lets his man pentrate on him Yao usually has to come over for weak side support which puts him in fouling situations.. everyone knows this.. Stevie's defense has sparks of goodness like his ability to play the passing lanes. but his man on man skills are rubbish. What i don't understand is how Yao doesnt do anything with the ball when he gets it.. yao does make plenty of mistakes yes but when you get the ball with 8 or less seconds on the shot clock you are trying to score or take the shot. our guards play with the ball too much giving us little to no time on the shot clock to work with..

they get in trouble when they go away from the system and try and do things for themselves.. i understand they need to get theirs but enough is enough if you get DOWN the floor and get the freakin rock into the post Yao can do more than anyone on the team can with it. Yao has the best court vision on our team!!

He is also one of best passers. the object of a pass is giving someone the best opportunity to score. Yao played a tough hard fought game and deserves credit for getting to the line.. but francis needs to play smarter.

like i always say i'd rather have a team full of larry birds over michael jordans anyday

16. x_trepidation_x

It's all up to Rocket management now. I'm sure they are aware of the growing concern of the poor execution of our backcourt.

If we trade, these are the package deals that I would like to see.

1) Package Trade of Francis, Mobley and Taylor
    2) Package Trade of Francis and Mobley
    3) Package Trade of Taylor and Mobley
    4) Package Trade of Francis, Moochie, Taylor, Mobley

- Francis (no brain)
    - Mobley (selfish, and his head is bigger then his talent)
    - Taylor (agressive on offense but poor shooting, liability on defense)
    - Moochie (no comment needed)

*Even with this trade, we still have a solid front court, JJ as our swing man, and a few good role players who know how to shoot. Plus it's easy to find point guards and shooting guards to fill up the spot who have not been discovered. Anyways, I don't even think it would be that hard to fill Francis' role as the play maker or Mobley's inability to play a team game.

By trading these clowns we have everthing to gain and weeding out the garbage.