1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Kings 10/18/2017

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 18, 2017.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

De'Aron Fox looked pretty damn good. If he can develop any semblance of a jumper he'll be a fun player to watch

True Rocket likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

These game threads convince me that half of clutchfans know nothing about basketball .

They remind me why Stephen A is so popular .

Yung-T and hakeem94 like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Damn, that took forever. I finally saw the foul. George Hill pulled him with his right hand.

Killatron 2000 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Demetrious Jackson or w/e was terrible wtf. Couldn't hit squat, got burned on D repeatedly by other rooks, turned it over off stupid passes, etc.

5. kiwirocketsfan

HEADLINE: Rockets on pace to go undefeated.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, but then why go to review. this reason is bogus

Was the foul on Gordon or Some Mystery Rocket? lulz. Or did Tilman give them the high-sign to pay them off. He was sitting near the court. :eek:

Bennie Anders likes this.
  7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Oof this was a lucky win which a lot of people predicted. I saw a lot of bad and some good:

- our first quarter shooting and overal quick trigger from 3. I get that we have a philosophy, strategy and MDA likes us to get a quick shot since usually defense is not set. The Rockets version of that is apparently one or two passes, the defense set and thus a quick three with zero to little rebounding since it's 1-3 on 5. Those threes are highly contested as well and with no legs tonight, you would think they'd get a little closer. This is why the mid-range should be used more. Look at how the Kings got back in the game, simply by driving inside and get a nice shot in the paint or just outside of it while we kept launching and bricking.
    - our communication and lapses on defense. Aside from great individual talent and the occassional good stretches of defense, with effort from Harden even, there is so much to work on in terms of our team defense. The help defense was atrocious, our double teaming head scratching and transition defense almost non-existent. I also really do not like our switching sometimes as they do not at least try to switch back with a small guy on a big man. We need to look at our line-ups since with a small line-up of Harden, PJ, Mbah, Ryan and Ariza / Gordon you can do that, but other times it's just not smart.
    - speaking of smart, I really think for a supposed contender and veteran team we play pretty dumb. Passing up lay-ups for threes, the switches, the quick trigger threes, the contested threes, not taking a shot from mid-range when it's there. Tucker, Gordon and Harden had some great opportunities and were wide open on the inside, but because it's so lodged into their brain to shoot threes they all stepped back out to pass it off or went inside only to pass it out again.
    - MDA and his minutes allocation as well as his use of the bench. Jackson over Bobby Brown and Troy Williams, really? This guy has so little faith in his veteran PG and a young guy who showed flashes of solid basketball, especially in terms of shooting. Yet he chooses a guy who hasn't played before. Gordon can handle PG duties and even Mbah can get inside so what's the point of using that guy? Harden playing 38 minutes on a back-to-back? Just not smart..
    - Nene looked weak against their front court, but needs to get in rhythm.

+ FT shooting, yay!!! It saved our asses tonight :)
    + Capela! He was a monster, some great rebounding, catching and shooting. Did you that move from the top of the key all the way to the basket. He does have to learn to not go up regardless, just slow down, fake and then to take it with the other hand or to the other side. He will learn. On defense though 1-on-1 against big men he just does not body up even with his added weight and does not understand shot blocking it seems.
    + Gordon. Boy he was quick again and took it inside on plenty of occassions. I suggest he does it more often, stop settling for threes, get in there. He can get by a lot of guys with that quick first step and truly knows how to finish!
    + Harden showed again why he's so important, playing defense, orchestrating the offense and coming through in the clutch. He tried on defense more often than not. I still hate him dribbling so much and not let the ball do the work. They say Harden has to carry a heavy load, but that's on him too.
    + Tucker, Ariza and Mbah's defense was outstanding most of the time . Tucker was on point from three again, which is good to see.

8. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

When Harden does it you scream if it gets called.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Capela 22/17 -- oh my !!!

Hopefully the interior defense was acceptable.

Great to start 2-0 !!!

10. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Good win off a back-to-back. Just wish James would be more selective with these threes...he plays like he thinks he's Curry some games. Would love to see him have his most efficient season yet this year.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

We won't get those ft attempts if we take mid range shots, and it'll be harder to drive inside if you take mid range shots vs 3s. There is no mid range team that takes a lot of fts, thats why everyone says mid range shots are the worst shot in bball.

Just look at the stats bro, Sacramento took 5 more shots and shot 6% better than Houston but still lost by 5. You want the Rockets to be dumb like Sacranento and take more shots that lost them the game!

Just stop it with the mid range already.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I fell asleep at halftime...the boxscore doesn’t look pretty, but a win is a win

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  13. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Even though scientists have proven through core samples the earth is cooler today than it was 10000 years ago, he still believes in global warming too.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets had plenty of ugly wins against mediocre ballclubs last season. They even showed highlights from one of them during last night's game. That home win against Denver where it took a Harden coast-to-coast drive and layup to eek out a come-from-behind victory.

15. onreego

onreego Member

Don't do this here.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, things are really gonna heat up on here if we go there. Or it'll have a chilling effect on the forum. Not sure which one I believe.

FANfrom86toNow and onreego like this.
  17. Drogba

Drogba Member

Lol at anyone criticizing the players or taking anything away after that game. Just happy to get the W.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

This

crying and whining about too many 3s and shot selection.

1 less three made and we lose to gsw in regulation or OT

More midrange shots wouldnt have given capela enough space to operate and score in the paint

19. RightTooCensor

Yeah, that was kind of a throwaway game without Chris Paul and being on the end of a back-to-back with Golden State. If you want to take something from it, Chris Paul loved watching James Harden take over in the fourth. I love that Chris sat right next to the coaching staff instead of on the other end of the bench, just the little things.

Also, we need a better player to be the fourth guard in our rotation. Jackson and Brown just aren't NBA ready.

On the other side, the Kings looked really competitive. They are great at trapping and have real potential to be a dark horse 8th seed team. There are good things brewing in Sacramento.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jameer Nelson will officially clear waivers this Friday. I think he’d be a nice addition as our 4th guard. He still has some game left.

hakeem94 and Remlap like this.