1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Grizzlies Are A Lame Franchise

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by don grahamleone, Oct 12, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Zach will be a player that will flirt with the Hall of Fame but have a tough time getting in. 16.8 and 9.3 for your career makes it tough to get in. No MVP, no finals appearance. He's close though. Same with Blake for now. Yao got in because it's about basketball not just the NBA. And I still think they should have left Tracy off for the time being. Maybe let him in 10 years from now.

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

He should start a gofundme so he can make one. I'm sure the donations will be huge.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. _Numberfifty

_Numberfifty Member

Maybe Bibby and Abdurrahim?

Or Bryant Reeves xd

J.R. likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

[​IMG]

5. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

MGGA

Make the grizzlies great again. :(

BigMaloe and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I'm a memphis native. Getting that city to care about basketball makes climbing mt Everest seem like a walk in the park.

The culture there is all about hard work, longevity, and being successful even when you aren't lucky. The city loved those guys.

Nook likes this.
  7. what

what Member

Getting them to care about any team besides the tigers you mean.

MorningZippo likes this.
  8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Eh I mean i get why they did it, I think the equivalent would be like us retiring Battiers number.

Conley is vastly underrated & I think he’s been the best thing to ever happen to that franchise, he should easily get into the HOF imo. Agree that he’s better than Kyrie. Then obviously come the Gasol brothers.

Randolph isn’t better than Yao & it’s not that close.

Allen guarded Harden well just like he guarded everyone else, well. But I mean that’s basically the only thing Allen had over him, “hey i’ll slow you down but im still going to have 30 less points created than you”.

Their basketball brand the past decade was to basically give great teams fits & sometimes beat them, don’t think I ever considered them a threat to win a championship though.

AXG and Pen15clubber like this.
  9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Very premature of the Grizzlies owner. Very premature.

If I were the Grizzlies I would have retired Pau Gasol's number first without hesitation. He probably retires within the next 3 years, so you probably retire his number in 2022 or so. Mike, the youngest, likely plays another 5 to 9 seasons and will be the last to retire out of Tony, Zach, and Marc. My plan, if I were the Grizzlies owner, would hope to retire all 4 of their numbers at the same time, but ONLY if the grit n grind era continues in Memphis even after all four are retired. See, that way it makes SOME sense to retire Allen and Randolph.

Announcing that Tony and Z-Bo's jerseys will be hanged is a extremely premature, and the owner is suffering from some recency bias. Sure, they brought in a nice culture, but who knows if that culture is even there in three seasons? It may be gone by then, and then everything those two did might not matter much. It'll just be good memories for some of the older fans. Just like we all love Chuck Hayes and Craig Ackerman loves Von Wafer.

Still, I think both of the Gasol brothers and Conley's numbers should be retired by the Grizzlies. 11,16, 33. In a 23 year old franchise it'd be a bit pathetic if they didn't have ONE memorable player that they could retire. Pau is a hall of famer, Marc is a 3x all-star, 2x all-nba player, & 1x DPOY. Conley has won the "most underrated player lol" award for like 4 straight seasons haha.

With those 3 numbers retired you kind of set the bar for future players. You have to be this great to be retired (Pau) or have been consistently good and shown loyalty to be retired (Marc and Mike.)

10. what

what Member

Pau was never close to being as beloved as mike or marc or any of the core 4. I think that lo wright would be more of a player that most fans would get behind over pau.
    Somebody has already wore shanes number: darko.

oogie boogie likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, if retiring numbers is a matter of whether the guys are "beloved," then the Rockets should retire players like Hayes, Scola, Battier, Beveley, even Sura. Right?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. Mr. Space City

the grizzlies are such a lame franchise their fans have to post on a houston rockets fan site because their fan sites are so lame.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

And then get super triggered when rockets fans prefer their players over yours

AXG and Mr. Space City like this.
  14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Fixed

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

does this mean chandsome might have a chance?

16. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Subtract the Rockets history prior to the Grizzlies existence and you have a franchise that hasn’t don’t much of anything despite having multiple All NBA types playing on their team. Sooooo bragging that you have had so much more talent and have arguably had similar levels of success is a big fat L.

17. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

The sad part is Clutch has given you this great forum and you haven’t been bothered enough to contribute $$$.

18. Mr. Space City

[​IMG]

#58 Mr. Space City, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  19. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member